OT: Non Ski Resort Thread. | OT in all its glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Don Cherry apparently fired from CBC.

On rememberance day no less. Hard to argue with that decision.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
At least Cherry went out on his own terms.Good for him...He was never going to be politically correct...Some things he said were dumb, somethings he said were right on the money (although no other broadcaster dare say it).

Back to bland on Sportsnet..They've done a good job at making the intermissions a good time to do anything but watch the TV.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Just here to say I never thought this day would come, and I've never been happier. Hopefully Cherry is gone for good.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Let's stop glossing over racist talk by calling it "not politically correct". Now I'm not saying he is in his heart racist and people say and do some really stupid things sometimes that suggests they are one person when they are not. But Sportsnet absolutely did the correct thing. ANY company would do this if an employee said such things in the media.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
At least Cherry went out on his own terms.Good for him...He was never going to be politically correct...Some things he said were dumb, somethings he said were right on the money (although no other broadcaster dare say it).

Back to bland on Sportsnet..They've done a good job at making the intermissions a good time to do anything but watch the TV.

i wouldn’t say this was his own terms lol.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He’s rabidly xenophobic and has made many awful/embarrassing comments in that regard but a white Canadian guy trashing an even whiter Swedish guy isn’t racism. He’s always been a big supporter of minority Canadian players whether they’re black, native, or even Muslim in the case of Kadri.

That said, these poppy comments carry more than a hint of racism given that he’s very clearly referring to minority immigrants in this case.

I guess we can debate the differences between xenophobia and racism, but either way, he’s been allowed to have a pulpit to spew his bigoted rhetoric from for far too long.

And now he’s been officially fired. About time.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
All this debate about xenophobia vs racism vs whatever, but we can all unequivocally agree he is also a raging homophobe:

Anyways, for my part, I kind of appreciate the poetry that he was fired on Remembrance Day.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
agreed with this. in the past i've actually commented on how when he got into trouble with the cbc cherry never did the fox news/sun media thing and racistly dogwhistled so his base would come defend him. a pretty low bar, but given that almost every other commentator of his political persuasion would stoop to that, i had to give him kudos.

a line was crossed here that almost never had been crossed previously by cherry. several comments about japanese and dominican people ruining baseball, and stuff about soccer, were the only other examples i can think of. and for that he is being rightfully condemned.

but anyone who calls the obviously still stupid and regrettable things cherry has said about say tomas sandstrom racist needs to really think about self-victimization problem.

Yeah I've always seen Cherry as more of an outdated old fart rather than a 'racist', to which I'm pretty forgiving especially as by all accounts when he's out among the public (like those small town broadcasts) he's, open, genuine, and engaging with fans. But this recent episode maybe it wasn't his intent in that he was trying to do more of rural vs urban thing, but while he's always been doing his own thing for decades this time it just came out sounding like he's started sipping the nasty boomer koolaid coming up from South of the boarder. You can say that stuff on Fox News, you can't do it on Hockey Night in Canada.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I noticed all of the various apologies or statements against what Cherry said and thought where's Don's apology? Doesn't mean anything when Ron Mclean speaks out apologizing for it when the source of the comments is silent.

I wonder if Rogers/Sportsnet gave him the opportunity to apologize, he refused, so they fired him.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Let's stop glossing over racist talk by calling it "not politically correct". Now I'm not saying he is in his heart racist and people say and do some really stupid things sometimes that suggests they are one person when they are not. But Sportsnet absolutely did the correct thing. ANY company would do this if an employee said such things in the media.
Going on a rant about "you people" on national TV in 2019 is kinda the definition of a racist.

That's the paint brush Cherry has painted himself with and he's not going to change.

Personally, I don't give a crap what he thinks because he's a moron when it comes to social issues.

However, I AM pretty pissed at him for doing what he did because it's such a god damn selfish thing to do.

He grossly misused a media platform that only a very select number of Canadians in this country's history had the privilege of having access to by being himself, a old man going on a racist rant at foreigners.

And in doing so, he has created a real big division in this country and has forced his company to fire him.

There are plenty of folks in this country that love hockey and hate foreigners and you can bet that those folks are going to rally around this incident.

What a disgrace for all involved parties.

headshake.gif

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I think Don is almost certainly racist, I just don't think what he said was racist. What he said was in the region where your grandpa starts talking about sensitive topics and you get uncomfortable because of what he'll say next, but Don's time is limited so he didn't get that far.

I think Sportsnet just wanted him gone.

Also, I'm pretty sure Don hates soft white Euros and Russians more than any other ethnic group :laugh:

Reactions: VanillaCoke

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Going on a rant about "you people" on national TV in 2019 is kinda the definition of a racist.

That's the paint brush Cherry has painted himself with and he's not going to change.

Personally, I don't give a crap what he thinks because he's a moron when it comes to social issues.

However, I AM pretty pissed at him for doing what he did because it's such a god damn selfish thing to do.

He grossly misused a media platform that only a very select number of Canadians in this country's history had the privilege of having access to by being himself, a old man going on a racist rant at foreigners.

And in doing so, he has created a real big division in this country and has forced his company to fire him.

There are plenty of folks in this country that love hockey and hate foreigners and you can bet that those folks are going to rally around this incident.

What a disgrace for all involved parties.

headshake.gif

I agree. I didn’t intend for my post to say anything different. It was racist and the targets of such speech deserve far more than people dismissing it as Cherry never being “politically correct”.

Sportsnet absolutely did the right thing.

Reactions: mathonwy

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I agree. I didn’t intend for my post to say anything different. It was racist and the targets of such speech deserve far more than people dismissing it as Cherry never being “politically correct”.

Sportsnet absolutely did the right thing.

Could you tell me exactly how it is racist? Like, I would argue it's exceedingly likely that first generation immigrants do buy poppies at a lower rate than second or later generation immigrants due to it being a cultural custom that is learned. He didn't tell them to leave, he just said they should be buying poppies. He didn't say none of them do, he didn't call the ones who don't disgusting animals or anything insane like that, he just expressed the belief that our Remembrance Day traditions are important and that he wants immigrants to take part in them.

Don't get me wrong, he never should have said it in the first place. Don Cherry is not exactly a wordsmith, I actually think he's legitimately senile and should probably not be on the television, but if expressing the desire for new Canadians to take part in Canadian customs is the bar for racism we're in some serious trouble.

Reactions: Nomobo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad