OT: Non Ski Resort Thread. | OT in all its glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Also, just found Wellington Paranormal on youtube. Spinoff show about the two deadpan straight-man cops in What We Do in the Shadows investigating paranormal X-Files stuff in New Zealand.

Also also, the new What We Do in the Shadows tv show on FX is the best comedy on tv right now. So everybody go watch it. Right now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Last thread up to 1k.

---------------------------------------------

GoT continues.

GoT last episode
Hmmmm not sure how I felt about the end of it.

On one hand everything wrapped up nicely, felt like there wasn't any more left to tell, except where is Drogon as I would have liked to see where he went.

On the other.

* Nothing much GoTy happened apart the telegraphed "Dany being put down by Jon Snow"

* It was nice to see some dialog driven scenes but overall weird episode. The dialogue didn't feel like it was driving things forward even when it was sharp.

* Drogon in the the throne room scene made no scene. He didn't roast Jon, but wanted to a political statment by melting the swordy throne. Who knew dragons were such deep thinkers?

* All the melodrama of the lead up to Dany getting knifed. Writing....

* As if Greyworm wouldn't have just killed Jon on the spot, he was on a murder spree at the time. Tyrion would have been killed too.

* Just incase you were aware of what Dany really was, here is some Nazi era vibes while she speaks to the assembled army complete with giant black and red banner.

* I really wanted Arya to declare war by killing Greyworm and taking his face then ordering a war on the Dothraki. Both side kill each other in a blood bath and Westeros armies clean up the survives.

So much mellow cello/strings, and slow scenes of people walking through the destruction. The people destroyed and traumatised were such a big part of episode 5, just didn't get a mention as if they were neither here nor there to plot having served their plot point.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
GoT is over and I’m glad that it is. Ending went primarily as expected for me. Hope GRRM sticks to it for the books.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
GoT last episode
I need some time to process how I feel. I agree on much of what you said... like wouldn’t Drogon kill John? Or the Unsullied? Darthraki?

Side note, does Bran need a master of whispers? Isn’t he clairvoyant?

And now our watch has ended.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
GoT last episode
I need some time to process how I feel. I agree on much of what you said... like wouldn’t Drogon kill John? Or the Unsullied? Darthraki?

Side note, does Bran need a master of whispers? Isn’t he clairvoyant?

And now our watch has ended.

I'm not sure he knows everything so much as he can just go look it up. A master of whispers would still be useful to uncover information and then Bran can look into it to find the truth. As Bran's actor said

"I think it wasn't quite fully explained how Bran's power works. It's not that he knows absolutely everything already, it's like he has a dictionary in front of him, or an encyclopedia with all of history, and he can look anything up. Like at the end when Samwell says 'Oh, is this something you can see?' Bran can go back and look at it and say 'Oh yeah, that happened.'" "

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'm not sure he knows everything so much as he can just go look it up. A master of whispers would still be useful to uncover information and then Bran can look into it to find the truth. As Bran's actor said

"I think it wasn't quite fully explained how Bran's power works. It's not that he knows absolutely everything already, it's like he has a dictionary in front of him, or an encyclopedia with all of history, and he can look anything up. Like at the end when Samwell says 'Oh, is this something you can see?' Bran can go back and look at it and say 'Oh yeah, that happened.'" "
Lol what great powers. Did sweet jack all season long except give essentially that same dull expression on his face. I would’ve even preferred the episode revealing Bran had actually warged into Drogon during the attack on Kings Landing to setup Jon killing D later; then him giving the last camera shot an evil smirk implying that he’s the new Night King

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
GoT:

Certainly a bittersweet end. It was a strong episode, but definitely one that would have felt more earned if a bit more time had been taken to get there. Definitely wouldn’t have called Bran being named king based on his portrayal in the show - the Bran of the books is a different story, but either way - surprise to me.

The ending for the Starks and Jon Snow was about as happy as they could have hoped for. Wonder where Drogon flew off to with Danaerys’ body.

Anyway - show’s over, now. Back to waiting for the next book...if it ever comes out.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
GoT:

Certainly a bittersweet end. It was a strong episode, but definitely one that would have felt more earned if a bit more time had been taken to get there. Definitely wouldn’t have called Bran being named king based on his portrayal in the show - the Bran of the books is a different story, but either way - surprise to me.

The ending for the Starks and Jon Snow was about as happy as they could have hoped for. Wonder where Drogon flew off to with Danaerys’ body.

Anyway - show’s over, now. Back to waiting for the next book...if it ever comes out.
I think it was too bad the rumored last shot of Jon & Co finding a bunch of bodies being laid out in that same creepy pattern in the ground giving the impression that fighting evil is a never ending battle as at least gives Jon a better purpose didn’t happen

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think it was too bad the rumored last shot of Jon & Co finding a bunch of bodies being laid out in that same creepy pattern in the ground giving the impression that fighting evil is a never ending battle as at least gives Jon a better purpose didn’t happen

Yeah, the whole resolution to the white walkers storyline is ultimately disappointing - what felt like the major conflict facing Westeros ultimately just kind of became a non event, unless you were a northerner.

Reactions: Hit the post

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'm just happy it's finally over. It's a shame it had to end so poorly. Everything about the show was fantastic...except for the writing. So many wasted and ruined storylines.

Anyway, remember how they left a coffee cup on set a few episodes ago? It happened again with a water bottle. :laugh:

84ezqyhataz21.jpg

DLUefdQ.jpg

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
In other news - yesterday was the 20th anniversary of The Phantom Menace’s release. Man, I’ve never been more hyped for a movie than I was for that. The trailers were top notch as well, and had me thoroughly convinced this was going to be one of the greatest movies ever.

In my opinion, it still holds up as the best of the prequel trilogy. The pod race and the duel of the fates were both outstanding. John Williams’ score was on point. And George still used a blend of practical and special FX, so the movie still had a real, “lived in” quality to it - something that got badly watered down in Episodes II and III.

All that said, calling it the best of the prequel trilogy is still like being the cream of the crap.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
All that said, calling it the best of the prequel trilogy is still like being the cream of the crap.
I didn't think they could top Jar Jar in cringeworryness but how Luke was handled in the Last Jedi comes close. Actually at least Jar Jar was always stupid while Luke was a beloved character reduced to ****

I do feel sorry/sad for the torment that child actor had to go thru being in that film though. Not his fault.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I didn't think they could top Jar Jar in cringeworryness but how Luke was handled in the Last Jedi comes close. Actually at least Jar Jar was always stupid while Luke was a beloved character reduced to ****

I do feel sorry/sad for the torment that child actor had to go thru being in that film though. Not his fault.

The Last Jedi is an interesting contrast to the prequels. It’s an objectively good movie - well acted, well written, well shot, well everything. The characterization was just so dreadfully mishandled that it outweighs all those good things.

The Prequels were just stunningly poorly executed on so many levels, which is a travesty given the talent they had to work with (Neeson, MacGregor, Jackson, MacDermid, Portman, etc).

And yes, the treatment of Jake Lloyd was brutal. I think Hayden Christiansen’s crowning achievement during his involvement with the franchise was angrily telling people to back off the kid.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Even just a sign of relief from Jon that he is back with his friends and freed of obligations/weight. Has he ever expressed anything other than looking depressed? Patting his wolf, riding a horse, drilling, shagging Dany, after they killed night making, being dead, not being dead. Happiness or sadness or horror, he still looks the same.

"Having a party Saturday night, want in?"
"Is Jon coming?"
"He's out of town."
"I'm in."

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
In other news - yesterday was the 20th anniversary of The Phantom Menace’s release. Man, I’ve never been more hyped for a movie than I was for that. The trailers were top notch as well, and had me thoroughly convinced this was going to be one of the greatest movies ever.

In my opinion, it still holds up as the best of the prequel trilogy. The pod race and the duel of the fates were both outstanding. John Williams’ score was on point. And George still used a blend of practical and special FX, so the movie still had a real, “lived in” quality to it - something that got badly watered down in Episodes II and III.

Vader going bad the way he did was just stupid. He always had some issues, anger and desire for promotion but to completely flip on a dime from brave selfless warrior to a child murdering freak made no sense at all, especially as it was the opposite of Padme stood for. What better way to impress you lover than murdering children and destroying everything she believes in. It was awful writing and worse plot development. 3 movies, it should have taken a whole movie+ to start working on him changing. The script writers have gone "two and a half movies in and we need least last half for the Vader, so you are bad now".

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Vader going bad the way he did was just stupid. He always had some issues, anger and desire for promotion but to completely flip on a dime from brave selfless warrior to a child murdering freak made no sense at all, especially as it was the opposite of Padme stood for. What better way to impress you lover than murdering children and destroying everything she believes in. It was awful writing and worse plot development. 3 movies, it should have taken a whole movie+ to start working on him changing. The script writers have gone "two and a half movies in and we need least last half for the Vader, so you are bad now".

Yeah, it was all poorly written to me.

There was a rich well to explore there. I always pictured Anakin as a young, Jack Bauer-type. Definitely an ends justify the means guy who does some terrible things for “the greater good”. I could much more believably buy a character like that going dark side than Anakin suddenly becoming a child murderer because he had bad dreams.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Spoiler alert dammit!:thumbd::naughty:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Just watch the clone wars, it makes Anakin a much better character. If you include that, his journey is much more compelling.

Interesting that it was essentially the same issue with Dany - it didn't seem like the outcome had a properly established lead-in. Actually, at least Anakin slaughters the sandwalkers in Ep 2, so you have some indication he could go crazy.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Just watch the clone wars, it makes Anakin a much better character. If you include that, his journey is much more compelling.

Interesting that it was essentially the same issue with Dany - it didn't seem like the outcome had a properly established lead-in. Actually, at least Anakin slaughters the sandwalkers in Ep 2, so you have some indication he could go crazy.

A Dave that seems to know how to write... and seemingly end a saga too.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Dany has been banging on about stallions mounting the world and burning cities to ground since the first seasons. She has loves threatening people. She shows little or no remorse when giving people she does like gruesome callous deaths, she likes burning people. She didn't even react when her own brother died, compare that to Tyrion still trying to save his brother and sister.

"When my dragons are grown we will burn cities to the ground... refuse us and we'll burn you first."

"I will take what is mine in fire and blood. I will take it."

You are either on Team Dany or kindling.

Her big claim to fame is she doesn't like slavery but then neither does the entirety of Westeros, good guys and bad guys don't support it. Ie Mormont is/was in serious strive in Westeros for it. Freeing the slaves was also opportunistic way of getting ahead in her eastern kingdom. The slaves hoped on team Dany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->