Non-Ownership Thread: Who Cares Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
According to Shannon, supposedly Doan's agent is attempting to broker a deal or help assemble a local ownership group of "Scottsdale and Phoenix" businessmen. Shannon has at least some cred. What comes of this effort, I don't know. Any new lease will have have a minimum 5 year out, and maximum duration of 12 years, IMO.

Still wish they could do something to retrofit US Airways arena, but that train left the station years ago....

There needs to be a "still wish" thread for thoughts like that:

Still wish they could do something to retrofit US Airways arena, but that train left the station years ago....

then I could add:

I wish I could be 25 years younger again, but that's unlikely. and be on topic! :)

Don't expect them to be here next season. If they are, great. Enjoy 'em while we got 'em.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Mods should just make a "No talking about ownership" rule on this forum.

Seems like we have been discussing the same things over and over and over and over for the past few years, doesn't it?

Feb 12, 2003
It makes sense for the Quebec plan to be 15 teams in each conference, 7+8 team divisions in each conference so neither conference has a distinct advantage in getting into the playoffs.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Mods should just make a "No talking about ownership" rule on this forum.

Seems like we have been discussing the same things over and over and over and over for the past few years, doesn't it?

'No talking about ownership' on the ownership thread?? :laugh:

Hint: there's a little 'x' button in the title cell of each thread. Just click it, and it disappears. It's like magic!

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
According to Shannon, supposedly Doan's agent is attempting to broker a deal or help assemble a local ownership group of "Scottsdale and Phoenix" businessmen. Shannon has at least some cred. What comes of this effort, I don't know. Any new lease will have have a minimum 5 year out, and maximum duration of 12 years, IMO.

To some degree, others can believe that Doan is helping out here seeing how he was played into re-signing with the Coyotes and wants to give as much of a big try as he can before it is all said and done.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The marked jump in attendance this year (2,700 per game) is so encouraging. I am aware that the sentiment is too little to late, but just sayin.
At the very least it's more proof that what most of us have been saying for years now is true. If the Coyotes leave it will be the result of some seriously bad luck combined with some really greedy people. The one thing that won't be the cause is the market, though lazy media will try to spin it that way.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At the very least it's more proof that what most of us have been saying for years now is true. If the Coyotes leave it will be the result of some seriously bad luck combined with some really greedy people. The one thing that won't be the cause is the market, though lazy media will try to spin it that way.

You and I agree completely on this.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
To some degree, others can believe that Doan is helping out here seeing how he was played into re-signing with the Coyotes and wants to give as much of a big try as he can before it is all said and done.

They should just let Doan have the team for free.

Why the hell not, they let Mario Lemieux have the Penguins.

(I realize they're two completely different situations, but it's a mildly amusing juxtaposition.)

pfp

Sep 4, 2007

Lets step back for just a moment there.

The increased attendance is GREAT and I in no way want to knock that - you have got to start somewhere. However, only when we get this attendance with normal NHL prices (and I don't consider Toronto normal) will the market be supporting the team.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Lets step back for just a moment there.

The increased attendance is GREAT and I in no way want to knock that - you have got to start somewhere. However, only when we get this attendance with normal NHL prices (and I don't consider Toronto normal) will the market be supporting the team.

What are you talking about???

I'm looking at the Stars seating chart. Lower level ends are $77, ours are $85. Upper ends in Dallas are $28, ours are $45. Upper center in Dallas is $ 28 to $ 45, here it's $65.

Or look at the Ducks seating chart. All seats are either a bit cheaper or identically priced.

Where do you pull this crap from?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Lower level ends are less than $50 this season and season ticket holders could buy additional 10 game packs for I think? 25 per seat. Not to mention all of the Monday night discounted tics and the buy by the goals things. Tics here are really cheap compared to almost all other rinks.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Lower level ends are less than $50 this season and season ticket holders could buy additional 10 game packs for I think? 25 per seat. Not to mention all of the Monday night discounted tics and the buy by the goals things. Tics here are really cheap compared to almost all other rinks.

Where do you get single game tickets for less than $ 50 outside of desperate scalpers on stubhub trying to unload Minnesota or Blue Jackets games?

As for Monday nights, are you talking about the free kids thing? Because otherwise I honestly don't know what you're referring to. And I don't remember ever seeing a lot of kids on week nights.

I'm looking at this:
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=86228

...and all I can see are the student rush and free kids on Mondays.

Then you're talking about game packages. I'm comparing the Coyotes 7-game plan with the Stars' 6-game plan:

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=82126
http://stars.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=85969

...please explain to me where you see a large discrepancy.

You finally mentioned the golden ticket deal. It turned out to be a good deal since buyers will probably get to watch 3 games for $100. On the other hand, if it had turned out like our games against Calgary or Chicago, well, not so great. 1 bad game for $100.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Even with the mental gymnastics, OEL, you still aren't paying NHL average prices. In other words, an unsustainable situation without a nice subsidy.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Even with the mental gymnastics, OEL, you still aren't paying NHL average prices. In other words, an unsustainable situation without a nice subsidy.

Of course, I just take issue with the idea that attendance this year is irrelevant because our tickets are basically free. We're been hearing it for years, and it used to be true.

This season I've noticed a price increase to something close to other pacific division teams, teams like Dallas and Anaheim that over the past 20 years have been considered successful. And I'm not getting nearly as many heavily discounted offers as I used to.

I'm not the only one saying this, I remember a team exec - I think it was Maloney - mentioning that attendance numbers this year were real, they've been releasing very few free tickets to fill the place.

I was very skeptical of the team surviving long-term, even with a $13 M / yr subsidy, simply because of the horrible location. But I've been pleasantly surprised this season. I've only been to weeknight games, and the place was never dead. I think the Hulsizer proposal was accounting for 14,000 tickets sold on average, and I thought that was completely unrealistic. Now I'm on the fence.

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
As for Monday nights, are you talking about the free kids thing? Because otherwise I honestly don't know what you're referring to.

Almost every time there's been a Saturday game before a Monday game they do an announcement in arena that "Tonight only" you can get tickets to Monday's game for 50% off. It's never announced beforehand but you almost always see people in line after the game picking up their cheap tickets before they go home. And I can't say I blame them, it's a heck of a deal.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Just looked at ticketmaster and stubhub for the game against Vancouver on the 21st. Mostly just single seats on ticketmaster, You can get 3 together for $275 each. Stubhub was showing all but one set above face value for the uppers. I know I could get some good deals on stubhub in years past. Not so much anymore. I posted the military appreciation night deal for the Stars game last Sat. but I doubt it was responsible for more than 25 tickets, if any besides the ones I got.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
This is going to veer a bit into team chat, but it's a damn good thing the Coyotes have been playing well at home. Their road record is kinda shabby, but they've looked pretty good at most home games.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Almost every time there's been a Saturday game before a Monday game they do an announcement in arena that "Tonight only" you can get tickets to Monday's game for 50% off. It's never announced beforehand but you almost always see people in line after the game picking up their cheap tickets before they go home. And I can't say I blame them, it's a heck of a deal.

I think you guys are missing the point. This offer and the golden ticket have one thing in common: they convert a full-price paying customer into a repeat customer by encouraging repeat visits, which otherwise wouldn't happen for single-ticket buyers.

You have to be in on Saturday to get a discount only applicable for the following game.
You get a good discount on the golden ticket that can only be redeemed on consecutive games.

It's the same strategy used in theme parks. Disneyland for one day is around $80, 2 days is $158, and a 3-day package is $ 200. That doesn't mean tickets are reduced to $ 65; it pushes existing customers to stay for a 3rd day at half price, something they wouldn't do at full price.

You can't use this marketing strategy as an example of falling prices. That's stupid.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
'No talking about ownership' on the ownership thread?? :laugh:

Hint: there's a little 'x' button in the title cell of each thread. Just click it, and it disappears. It's like magic!

It was meant to be sarcasm.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I am talking about season tickets OEL and really don't know how much single games are. I don't know about many other team's prices but season tics in any Canadian City run at least twice the money and maybe even 3 times the amount. I am quite happy with the attendance bump and also the fact that almost everyone actually paying something for their tics. I think there is something to build on and it can work but will need at least a few years before arena is selling out for a decent price on tickets.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I don't know about many other team's prices but season tics in any Canadian City run at least twice the money and maybe even 3 times the amount.

Comparing season ticket prices between Canada and Phoenix is silly. There's a reason why revenue sharing was put in place. The only relevant comparisons are with similar metro areas that have been considered successful, hence my Anaheim and Dallas examples.

I wouldn't be such an ass about it if you provided some factual evidence backing up your statement. Until then this conversation is pointless. It doesn't take very long to find information on the topic. It's all out there on the team's web sites and ticketmaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad