Non-Ownership Thread: Who Cares Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Sherwood mentions news parameters of potential deal

“I have had a few conversations with Mr. Jamison since (the original deadline) Jan. 31 and he and the city are looking at something more in line with a 12-year deal,” Sherwood said in a phone interview. “That is definitely something that is palatable to me.”

The new deal, which is believed to be between 12-13 million per year to run Jobing.com Arena, would total between $144-156 million. The previous deal offered to Jamison was for 20-years, $320 million over the life of the deal to manage Jobing.com Arena.

“I think and the city thinks that 12 years is a more reasonable time table and a better pill to swallow,” Sherwood said. “There are negotiations going on behind the scenes and, no offense to (the press), but I think that is where they should be, behind closed doors.”

http://www.glendalestar.com/news/article_d8669da2-85ad-11e2-9809-001a4bcf887a.html

Good luck because the Mayor has other plans.

Sherwood said that while the Coyotes are an important part of Glendale, he is more focused on saving Westgate Center.

“We cannot make it a viable arena without a hockey team. People who say we could, I don't know what experience they would have that would draw them to that, but I just see everything but maybe the (AMC) theater slowly coming to a slow death.”

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
To be honest, i think the 12 year offer from Jamison is what is necessary to complete the purchase. COG will be better with it, and when the COG is better with it, they will approve it, NHL will approve, all we need now is for Jamison to actually have all the money necessary and we will have an onwer. I know that sounds unusually optimistic, but really, once they vote on the deal, all that's left is the NHL approving and selling the team. We're not that far off.

rhyan

Mar 5, 2013
Phoenix
I had a talk with one of the bar owners at Westgate, Im not saying he is credible, but his quote was "60% sure they are leaving and that they will be moving the arena football, and WNBA team into the arena" While that is all good and dandy(well not really), if you were to combine the attendance at the arena football and the WNBA games, the Coyotes is still higher! I honestly just do not see Westgate surviving without a REAL anchor team like the Coyotes, Maybe the Suns, but even then... I really am starting to worry about my team, I just dont see them moving a Team out of the 6th largest city in the United States, would sure feel better if someone could calm my worries

End Rant

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Poor bar owner, while the Coyotes may leave, the hope of getting one of those teams to move into Glendale is a dream. The WNBA team is owned by...Robert Sarver, so he would have to sell the team. The Rattlers struggle to fill the place even during the playoffs so I doubt that they would move...but it could happen. The Rattlers focus on low paying football fans (like myself) so I am not sure they and their 9 games a year could help save Westgate. I mean afterall, how much revenue could they get from the fans that just donated some canned food to get into the arena?

They could host a few college BBall Tourneys, heck they should do that now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Slow death? More like instantaneous. Tenants have already gotten tired of this crap and moved. They will break leases or terminate them the moment news officially comes that the Coyotes are gone.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Come the end of the season, another gun will be put to the head of the city demanding another $25 million or the team goes. I hope I'm worng and want a better outcome but:

:cheers:

photo-246458.jpg

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
I had a talk with one of the bar owners at Westgate, Im not saying he is credible, but his quote was "60% sure they are leaving and that they will be moving the arena football, and WNBA team into the arena" While that is all good and dandy(well not really), if you were to combine the attendance at the arena football and the WNBA games, the Coyotes is still higher! I honestly just do not see Westgate surviving without a REAL anchor team like the Coyotes, Maybe the Suns, but even then... I really am starting to worry about my team, I just dont see them moving a Team out of the 6th largest city in the United States, would sure feel better if someone could calm my worries

End Rant

why would the WNBA move? the Suns operate them ?

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
I just don't see the NHL leaving in June. They waited this long and the city has gotten so close to completing a deal. I think they will do another 25 million/year to solidify a deal. A big reason for that is attendance is up and television ratings are way up. Also, season ticket renewals has been 91% which is the highest it's been in over a decade.

The NHL lost Atlanta. I don't think they want to lose Phoenix too. Phoenix will be the 5th largest city in the country and the 10th largest television market. The team was horribly mismanaged for years but in the last few years, the team including the business operations has been managed properly. The team is committed to family and the community and games are more fun with more children in the stands. There is more positive energy in the building and I can see this working out.

The bottom line is it will be up to us. It's our job to watch games, attend games, encourage friends and family to attend games, buy jerseys and merchandise. If we want to keep the team, let's do our part Potential investors are looking at the numbers and if the team is a worthy investment. Glendale will ratify a policy that works, the problem will come down to finding people who are willing to invest in the team but that can't happen if we don't do our part as fans.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I just don't see the NHL leaving in June. They waited this long and the city has gotten so close to completing a deal. I think they will do another 25 million/year to solidify a deal. A big reason for that is attendance is up and television ratings are way up. Also, season ticket renewals has been 91% which is the highest it's been in over a decade.

The NHL lost Atlanta. I don't think they want to lose Phoenix too. Phoenix will be the 5th largest city in the country and the 10th largest television market. The team was horribly mismanaged for years but in the last few years, the team including the business operations has been managed properly. The team is committed to family and the community and games are more fun with more children in the stands. There is more positive energy in the building and I can see this working out.

I doubt it very much seeing the changes we have in the COG Council along with no one willing to pony up the cash for an overpriced team and the NHL not willing to budge on the asking price. As mentioned plenty of times before, the team was minutes away from moving to Winnipeg before and the league is not afraid to move this team no matter what.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
To be honest, i think the 12 year offer from Jamison is what is necessary to complete the purchase. COG will be better with it, and when the COG is better with it, they will approve it, NHL will approve, all we need now is for Jamison to actually have all the money necessary and we will have an onwer. I know that sounds unusually optimistic, but really, once they vote on the deal, all that's left is the NHL approving and selling the team. We're not that far off.

I can see COG fulfilling their end of the deal on the 12 year offer but the question remains will an investor pony up the actual cash.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am a Bruins fan and work in TV on their games.

The Coyotes under NHL ownership have fared much better than the Expos under MLB.

With the new realignment there are only 3 places the Yotes could move to

• Portland
  • Seattle
  • Kansas City

Anybody have an idea on how much FS Arizona is paying for each game?

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
I doubt it very much seeing the changes we have in the COG Council along with no one willing to pony up the cash for an overpriced team and the NHL not willing to budge on the asking price. As mentioned plenty of times before, the team was minutes away from moving to Winnipeg before and the league is not afraid to move this team no matter what.

The team was also minutes from being sold to Hulsizer to be kept here. And if the league was ready to move the team, they would have already done so. The league has fought hard to keep the team here when they could have moved the team to a Canadian city 4 years ago and been instantly profitable. The reason they haven't done that is they are looking at long term ramifications in terms of television markets and being a component of an emerging top 10 market.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The team was also minutes from being sold to Hulsizer to be kept here. And if the league was ready to move the team, they would have already done so. The league has fought hard to keep the team here when they could have moved the team to a Canadian city 4 years ago and been instantly profitable. The reason they haven't done that is they are looking at long term ramifications in terms of television markets and being a component of an emerging top 10 market.

None of the above is true. Well, maybe the move 4 years ago part. Even then, Winnipeg was the only market 'ready' and that was a last resort for the NHL. It's much easier for them to get Glendale to pay the bills long enough for another market to approve an arena. Two such markets have emerged. The Coyotes are not in an 'emerging top 10 market.' Expansion is obviously on the docket with the two year review addendum to the realignment. It would be very, very easy to cart the team off to QC without upsetting anyone. Even easier to Seattle, arguably an upgrade.

You guys are long on hope and short on justification. No one is scheduled to pay the bills for next season. The coach and GM aren't under contract. No local owner is in sight. The city has turned against the team. Perfect storm.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

That is not even true. Hulsizer wasn't that close to getting the deal seeing GWI threw a monkey wrench in the deal with the city by using scare tactics on those who were looking to buy up the bonds.

Also, the NHL in this process has done nothing more but to fight for their own interests and bottom line. Otherwise the league would have seen to it that the origional lease by the City of Glendale was held up i court in the 1st place. The fact is the league was forced to show it hand given the last deal and deadline in place and they got nothing except to just leave the biggest deal by the city on the table that will never come back again. When the truth finally came out that the NHL and Bettman was playing so many people(though I knew better than most before this) now some are even questioning if Reinsdorf was even for real even before the bankruptcy was filed.

If the league cares about keeping the team in AZ then either they would come down on the asking price or should have used the relocation fee from the sale of the Thrashers to help cover the purchase so that the team would have a better chance to sale the team to a local owner.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I am a Bruins fan and work in TV on their games.

The Coyotes under NHL ownership have fared much better than the Expos under MLB.

With the new realignment there are only 3 places the Yotes could move to

• Portland
  • Seattle
  • Kansas City

Anybody have an idea on how much FS Arizona is paying for each game?

Oh, I'm quite sure there is a plan B and plan C realignment that has also been agreed on and not released. One for Seattle and one for Quebec.

diceone

Aug 14, 2006
tempe
Oh, I'm quite sure there is a plan B and plan C realignment that has also been agreed on and not released. One for Seattle and one for Quebec.

What do you think that might be for Quebec? Move Detroit back west?

Anyone else have a thought on that?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

It's not even that complex. The league doesn't need approval from the players to move a team, so that team just plays wherever the old team was slotted in ala Winnipeg. No need to bargain for 3 different alignments, or keep things secretive. Occam's razor. Also, it's not really a coincidence that the same year Seattle and Quebec are expected to come online with arenas is the year the alignment goes under review.

What do you think that might be for Quebec? Move Detroit back west?

Anyone else have a thought on that?

I'm guessing Columbus moves back west. Expansion to Seattle and Houston/Portland, for even conferences.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
According to Shannon, supposedly Doan's agent is attempting to broker a deal or help assemble a local ownership group of "Scottsdale and Phoenix" businessmen. Shannon has at least some cred. What comes of this effort, I don't know. Any new lease will have have a minimum 5 year out, and maximum duration of 12 years, IMO.

Still wish they could do something to retrofit US Airways arena, but that train left the station years ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad