Non-Ownership Thread: Who Cares Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
"vowed" was the writer's word, not Jamison's. I think the vague nature in which Jamison was speaking and the qualifiers he was tacking on to his statements ad nauseam say a lot. I feel much worse reading that than if he had said nothing at all. Why lawyer it up so much if you have any confidence? I've heard bad salesmen before. They speak exactly like that. Emphatic words, with telling little qualifiers.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I've heard bad salesmen before. They speak exactly like that. Emphatic words, with telling little qualifiers.

Pretty much anyone and everyone in the corporate world is capable of that type of language. I wouldn't look too much into it.

The thing is... is it possible the NHL has told him they will cover any and all losses up until the 31st? And that, as a reasonable business man would, he is using every bit of that slack? That is my only real explanation as to why he wants to get this done around the deadline. Totally plausible. Smart, even. He may have had enough money to pass the vetting process but wanted to use every chance to raise extra capital. Who knows?

We will find out, one way or another.

rt

May 13, 2004
We will find out, one way or another.

Not this week we won't. We'll find out if he's closed on the deal and is effectively our new owner this week. Then we'll have an answer. If he doesn't announce he's agreed to terms with NHL this week, than we will know nothing for months.

I think it's more appropriate to say "we'll find out if it's the one way, but not if it's the other."

I will eat my hat if Jamison ever announces things have hit the skids. That will never happen.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I am interested in seeing how the $20 million in escrow is handled. Glendale has only paid the first $25 million so will the NHL withdraw the $20 M on Thursday one way or the other? I doubt that actual cash losses exceeded $20 million last year but if they did, how will that be worked out?

If I remember right, Jamison will only be paid $6-$7 million this year and not the full $15 million. All interesting numbers.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I will eat my hat if Jamison ever announces things have hit the skids. That will never happen.

Come Thursday, if the deal isn't closed, you have your answer. Everyone here knows what that means. Everyone goes dark, the team falters and come playoff time there is a quiet announcement in the paper that they are moving to QC. They moved Atlanta in record time, with little fanfare. That's what we can expect. This is a business, after all.

rt

May 13, 2004
Come Thursday, if the deal isn't closed, you have your answer. Everyone here knows what that means. Everyone goes dark, the team falters and come playoff time there is a quiet announcement in the paper that they are moving to QC. They moved Atlanta in record time, with little fanfare. That's what we can expect. This is a business, after all.

You say that now. Wait until Feb15 when the COG says they're working with Jamison on a new lease deal, and Jamison says he's never been closer with the NHL, and it's basically a done deal, pending the re-worked lease. You might see through it then, but don't be surprised if half of us are still biting. I probably will be. At least as much as I'm biting now (with jaded skepticism but childish hope).

Also, I'd think the NHL would rather give Seattle (a non-traditional market) a competitive playoff team, and then give QC a crappy expansion team (they'll sell out for at least five or ten years, regardless of how much they suck).

The bright side? I could see Don, Tip, and Doan moving to Seattle. Also, Don Levin is a billionaire, is he not? Old tobacco money, or some such thing?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wait until Feb15 when the COG says they're working with Jamison on a new lease deal,

The council has publicly stated they are not interested in giving Jamison an extension. They might attempt to negotiate a lesser deal, but we know that is just a distraction for the inevitable. The money is on the proverbial table. If he can't go out and get it, and this is our last hope, then move the team.

rt

May 13, 2004
The council has publicly stated they are not interested in giving Jamison an extension. They might attempt to negotiate a lesser deal, but we know that is just a distraction for the inevitable. The money is on the proverbial table. If he can't go out and get it, and this is our last hope, then move the team.

They've made it clear they won't extend the current lease.

I'm just saying, when it comes out that the two sides are working together, people will start to speculate the new council is less hostile than expected, we'll be reminded that what folks say along the campaign trail doesn't always indicate how they'll behave in office. We'll read a lot about how the council doesn't want to be left with an empty arena and a whole lot of explaining to do, that they'll be willing to make it work to avoid such a fate, etc., etc. Hope will build. Maybe not for you, but probably for most.

ssmatik

Jul 13, 2007
West Side
For what it's worth:

Prospective Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison told The Arizona Republic on Monday that he expects to complete his purchase of the team on Wednesday or Thursday this week, just ahead of a crucial deadline associated with Jobing.com Arena in Glendale.

(Special note to Seattle and Canadian hockey fans who were hoping to snare a vagabond Coyotes franchise: Insert your curses in either English or French here.)

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/w...ouncment-due-this-week-prosective-owner-says/

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Multiple sources? Name three. :rolleyes:

Take your pick:
Huey, Dewey & Louie
Manny, Moe & Jack
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
A fish (called Wanda), a streetcar (named Desire), and a nutty professor

or
Mike Sunnucks, Matt Brigidi and Jason Brough

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/01/29/jamison-group-ready-to-close-on.html

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/...sale-greg-jamison-expected-to-close-this-week

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...se-on-coyotes-purchase-wednesday-or-thursday/

of course, Matt & Jason just seem to be spreading the word Mike started, so I wouldn't actually count them three as sources lol
:)

rt

May 13, 2004
It's all over the local sports radio updates that Jamison is rumored to be announcing a sale tomorrow. These same local sports stations were all seemingly under the impression that he had purchased the team during the last playoffs, however. None of them pay attention, or care. I wouldn't take anything they have to say to heart.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I just don't listen to anything unless it's sourced from the NHL that he has bought the team. I've heard plenty of this talk before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad