Non-Minnesota NHL News XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I am an utter layman, but the impression I get from this thread is that NHL teams contribute nothing to a developing player's success and everything to their failure.
Not every NHL team, just Minnesota.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I am an utter layman, but the impression I get from this thread is that NHL teams contribute nothing to a developing player's success and everything to their failure.

This is just my own personal philosophy, but I think a lot of developing is just staying out of the players' way, and putting them in places to succeed. Obviously they're giving them off-season training programs and nutritional/diet stuff, but no amount of "development" is going to turn Eriksson Ek's hands into Patrick Kane's. But I do believe that there is something to the idea that a guy like Tuch is a different/better player right now vs. if we would've pulled him out of college after his Freshman year and stuck him on the 3rd/4th line in NHL. The 2nd college year and the AHL year absolutely were factors in the development, IMO. They aren't going to turn a 4th liner into a 1st liner, but I think they can help turn a 3rd liner into a 2nd liner. Or a good 2nd liner into a better one.

Just as current example, I think that we got in Eriksson Ek's way. Is he a bona fide 1st line center if he played all of 2017-18 in the AHL? Probably not. But think there's a reasonable chance that he's a better player than he's showing right now.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Is he a bona fide 1st line center if he played all of 2017-18 in the AHL? Probably not. But think there's a reasonable chance that he's a better player than he's showing right now.

That has been one of the pillars of my arguments. Minnesota tends to get in their way, and it's a chicken and the egg thing. They get in their way, because they don't have the depth. But they don't have the depth, because they get in their way. Something has to give eventually, but look at Donato - should he have been sent down to the AHL before his waiver exemption went away? Yes. Could they? Injuries made it difficult, but ultimately, they had some depth there that they could have sent Donato down and brought up a guy like Rau.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The Blues shipped Fabbri to Detroit for de la Rose. Seems like a weird one.
My guess is a trade request from Fabbri. He wasn't going to get ice time in St Louis and they couldn't send him down without waivers. Presumably he'll get some playing time in Detroit and try to move past all the injuries.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Blues shipped Fabbri to Detroit for de la Rose. Seems like a weird one.

Meh, a 4th liner swap (as far as it goes for STL), de La Rose is bigger and plays a heavier game which that fits the Blues a little better.

Wings have Yzerman now and he's building on the fly. He's getting the young guys he wants and shipping out the ones he doesn't want.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah it's not outrageous or anything. I guess I forgot Fabbri had a second ACL tear the following year. Pretty hard to recover from that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not gonna lie, MacTavish's account of his brief KHL tenure is pretty interesting.

I’m not a tough guy and I don’t pretend to be, but my mind would wander as Yuri was critiquing me and I was waiting for the translation. I was thinking what the consequences would be if I picked up the chair beside me and broke it over the table beside him. I’d probably end up in the trunk of that black Mercedes (joking) … but I’ve had a long career in hockey and as he rambled on in Russian I smiled at the thought that this wouldn’t be a terrible way to end it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Looks like Coyle is in mid-season form. He still forgets he's allowed to shoot the puck: 17 total games (2g/4a, 29 shots): 12 games (0g/3a, 5 shots total), 3 games (2g/1a, 19 shots total). He was moved from center to wing last game; partially due to an injury, partially to get his o-zone game going.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Looks like Coyle is in mid-season form. He still forgets he's allowed to shoot the puck: 17 total games (2g/4a, 29 shots): 12 games (0g/3a, 5 shots total), 3 games (2g/1a, 19 shots total). He was moved from center to wing last game; partially due to an injury, partially to get his o-zone game going.
Nino's not exactly blowing up the Eastern Conference either: 2G 4A in 17 games and his shooting percentage is about as low as Eriksson-Ek's.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So Coyle is still doing Coyle.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bruins fans are very happy wiTh Coyle in general. Nino's struggles don't surprise me. MiG's do.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Don Cherry finally got himself fired... not getting into the politics of it here (there's a main board thread if you want to get into that), just thought it relevant news.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Avs Stadium Series Jersey leaked, and they're absolutely terrible!

img_20191113_083653-jpg.276847

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I feel like those are appropriate jerseys for the Avalanche, a team I strongly dislike. I hope those are the socks, too. Like they tucked the napkin in so f***ing far their cuffed sailor pants got pulled way up. It doesn't even make sense, but yet there you sit with a self-imposed formal wedgie. Also that mountain. They obviously couldn't have just two upside-down white triangles because it would look like a cool turdpile with sunglasses, so instead they made it look like they don't know what the f*** mountains look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad