Non-Minnesota NHL News XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So Kap isn't a blue chip prospect. Got it.

Not really; until we know for certain he'll sign with Minnesota. And a LOT of Russian kids wash out in the NHL, so I'm hesitant to anoint him the next Taraksenko or Ovechkin. Boldy is as close as a blue chipper as we have.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not really; until we know for certain he'll sign with Minnesota. And a LOT of Russian kids wash out in the NHL, so I'm hesitant to anoint him the next Taraksenko or Ovechkin. Boldy is as close as a blue chipper as we have.
Prospects are all question marks... even blue chip ones. Kap is a blue chip prospect at this point.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Prospects are all question marks... even blue chip ones. Kap is a blue chip prospect at this point.

So, you're telling me you'd be okay to trade Boldy for Tolvanen. If all prospects are question marks, then should be a fair swap right? Or Boldy for Bokk?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So, you're telling me you'd be okay to trade Boldy for Tolvanen. If all prospects are question marks, then should be a fair swap right? Or Boldy for Bokk?
That doesn't mean the degree of question is the same. I wouldn't trade Kap for either of them also.

Blue chip prospects are still prospects because they have not proven they are indeed NHL players yet. Even 1st overall blue chip prospects can fail, the odds of that failure is simply smaller.

Kap wasn't a blue chipper when he was drafted, but he developed into a clear blue chipper after.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Kap wasn't a blue chipper when he was drafted, but he developed into a clear blue chipper after.

Blue chipper generally means they are going to have an immediate impact to the team and is a can't miss. Tolvanen was considered a blue chip prospect by the loose definition of being at the top of the league and most thought he would have some immediate impact to the team. I wouldn't be surprised if Tolvanen never makes it to the NHL as he seems to still be struggling. I don't see Kap having an immediate impact to the team and he is definitely not a can't miss prospect given how wonky KHL players have had translating over to the NHL.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Blue chipper generally means they are going to have an immediate impact to the team and is a can't miss. Tolvanen was considered a blue chip prospect by the loose definition of being at the top of the league and most thought he would have some immediate impact to the team. I wouldn't be surprised if Tolvanen never makes it to the NHL as he seems to still be struggling. I don't see Kap having an immediate impact to the team and he is definitely not a can't miss prospect given how wonky KHL players have had translating over to the NHL.
Blue chip has nothing to do with "immediate impact". If that was the case there'd only be 1 or 2 in each draft. Yes "can't miss" is often a term used for them, but the simple fact that many still manage to miss, shows that term is a bit hyperbolish.

For the record, the media considers him a blue chip prospect too...

2019 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Draft Sleepers
The one blue chip talent the Wild have drafted recently is Kirill Kaprizov

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
wow terrific game last night pens vs tampa. pens almost tied last second puck was in goalie glove which crossed line but could not clearly see puck crossed so no goal. tampa wins 3-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad