News: Nolan Patrick on LTIR

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Yeah you're right.
Health and mental well-being first and foremost. At least he has money though.
I do feel for Nolan.

Hoping he recovers. Sad for a young player to already face so many problems. Retirement is becoming more likely.

Money? He’s earned $4.6M and on the final year $1.2M contract. Missed approx. $9M in bonuses and regardless if he gets another deal, it could heavily bonuses weighted. He has no education beyond Highschool after jumping into the NHL at 18. If he never plays again, this money will run out.

He needs to get healthy. Hockey is secondary before he deals with a possibly poor financial future.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Lindros is one of the most overrated players of all time due to his draft hype. His pro career was very disapointing compared to that partly due to his injuries. Crosby has had a very successful career in contrast with 3 cups and a bunch of major awards. His, Crosbys, career could have been even better without the injuries but he is certainly not one of those "what could have been" players.
In 2017 he was named one of the '100 Greatest NHL Players' in history.[5] Lindros's jersey, #88, was retired by the Flyers in 2018. That is from Wiki. Crosby is great we know. But so was Lindros. Rivals yes. Smart hockey fans look past that and realize that BOTH are/were great players

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
In 2017 he was named one of the '100 Greatest NHL Players' in history.[5] Lindros's jersey, #88, was retired by the Flyers in 2018. That is from Wiki. Crosby is great we know. But so was Lindros. Rivals yes. Smart hockey fans look past that and realize that BOTH are/were great players

I am no Penguins fan and have no bone in this Philly vs Pittsburgh rivalry. Also as stated above I never said that Lindros wasnt a great hockey player in general. I merely stated that I think he is overrated on this board. I have read many times on here that he was supposedly a top 5 talent of all time.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Lindros is one of the most overrated players of all time due to his draft hype. His pro career was very disapointing compared to that partly due to his injuries. Crosby has had a very successful career in contrast with 3 cups and a bunch of major awards. His, Crosbys, career could have been even better without the injuries but he is certainly not one of those "what could have been" players.
I mean he was one of the most dominant players in the league for a while there. Not sure why you are comparing to Sid? But yes I think most would agree Sid has had a more successful career, you could say that about 99% of hall of fame members compared to sid (note this is a made up number).
Lindros was a great payer, and not just do to draft hype. If head shots were handled more today back then I wonder if his career could have been back on track. Maybe that is why you compared to Sid because he came back from a scary concussion.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I mean he was one of the most dominant players in the league for a while there. Not sure why you are comparing to Sid? But yes I think most would agree Sid has had a more successful career, you could say that about 99% of hall of fame members compared to sid (note this is a made up number).
Lindros was a great payer, and not just do to draft hype. If head shots were handled more today back then I wonder if his career could have been back on track. Maybe that is why you compared to Sid because he came back from a scary concussion.

I didnt bring up the comparison. The poster I quoted during my inital post in this thread did. He thought Lindros and Crosby were comparable as talents that didn't reach their full potential due to injuries. I then argued that Crosby had a much more successful career than Lindros and wasn't as impacted by his concussion issues...

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I didnt bring up the comparison. The poster I quoted during my inital post in this thread did. He thought Lindros and Crosby were comparable as talents that didn't reach their full potential due to injuries. I then argued that Crosby had a much more successful career than Lindros and wasn't as impacted by his concussion issues...
Gotcha, sorry I only saw the reply to your post and I was wondering why the two were compared.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
I am no Penguins fan and have no bone in this Philly vs Pittsburgh rivalry. Also as stated above I never said that Lindros wasnt a great hockey player in general. I merely stated that I think he is overrated on this board. I have read many times on here that he was supposedly a top 5 talent of all time.
Fair enough, but I disagree in the overrated opinion. He was as dominant a player as his draft position would indicate, which would make him not overrated at all imo. The debate will linger forever

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Solid AHL players make around 150-400K Gross USD playing in the minors do that for 3-5 seasons you are set, with the right financial planning. KHL also used to be a good league to make a decent buck playing hockey but i'm sure thats gone the trash now.

But you are right most kids that pursue professional hockey go broke.
$150k pre tax for 3-5 seasons won’t come close to having you “set”. Even if you live cheaply, with living expenses and taxes you would be lucky to save half of it.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
He was really good until Scott Stevens effectively ended his career.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Hoping he recovers. Sad for a young player to already face so many problems. Retirement is becoming more likely.

Money? He’s earned $4.6M and on the final year $1.2M contract. Missed approx. $9M in bonuses and regardless if he gets another deal, it could heavily bonuses weighted. He has no education beyond Highschool after jumping into the NHL at 18. If he never plays again, this money will run out.

He needs to get healthy. Hockey is secondary before he deals with a possibly poor financial future.
He has my sympathy for any current and future health problems but it ends there.

Assuming he’ll have made $9M or even half of that, it’s all on him if he doesn’t have a pot to piss in when he’s 30.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
All that hard work, all that talent, makes it to the NHL as a top draft pick. and basically gets knee capped on his way out of the starting blocks. He must be heart broken.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
He has my sympathy for any current and future health problems but it ends there.

Assuming he’ll have made $9M or even half of that, it’s all on him if he doesn’t have a pot to piss in when he’s 30.

With how much money he has, he can literally pay for some of the best teachers and tutors to get himself an excellent degree and still make 6 figures afterwards, it's no excuse if he runs out of money fast.

Reactions: The Real JT

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Lindros was insanely good. In his first 4 years from the age of 19 to 23, Lindros played 245 games and had 161 goals, 196 assists, 357 points and 473 penalty minutes. No one played like Lindros. He would very likely have been a top 5 player of all time if he had stayed healthy.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He was really good until Scott Stevens effectively ended his career.

This is a myth. Stevens ended Lindros' FLYERS career. He held out the following season (2000-2001) to get healthy and then demanded a trade. He was then traded to the Rangers where he led them in scoring in 2001-2002 with 73 points in 72 games at the height of the dead puck era. He only missed 11 games in his first 2 seasons with the Rangers and finished with 158 points in 192 games there. Sure, he wasn't as dominant as his Flyers days, but scoring league-wide was way down in his years there and he was still an effective player. He then played about a half season with each with Toronto an Dallas.

After the Stevens hit, Lindros played 274 regular season games in the dead-puck era registering 82 goals, 124 assists, for 206 points.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wonder if this latest setback is due to that unnecessary cheapshot MacKinnon hit him with last season?

That Flyers-Predators-Golden Knights trade sure is something.

Ellis played 4 games for the Flyers and his career is likely over.

Patrick played 25 games for the GK and his career is likely over.

Myers has bounced around both AHL and NHL teams but now has a chance at reclamation with the Lightning.

Cody Glass is still an AHLer.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

He's not even 24 yet. If he's earned 4.6 mil, unless he was really stupid with his money (which is possible, but a strange thing to speculate. His dad has 250 NHL games and his uncle has over 1,000 more than that, I doubt he was going into the NHL blind. He'll have an NHL pension as well and has plenty of time to figure out what he wants to do next in his life if he needs to retire. He should be fine.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
More than a few. Off the top of my head...

Gord Kluzak (knee)
Normand Leveille (stroke)
Alexei Cherepanov (heart attack)
Cody Hodgeson (malignant hyperthermia)
Jiří Fischer (heart issues)
Dan Blackburn

1660594253775.png

Reactions: Guttersniped

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
As a Devil's fan I am really glad we dodged that bullet in the draft, but I feel really bad for the kid. I hope he recovers and can make a good career out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad