Injury Report: Nolan Patrick Diagnosed With Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26); limited practice, quotes (Feb 17-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
All this talk of AHL goons makes me wonder if people are watching NHL hockey anymore. Not 4(?) nights ago I watched Hathaway attempt to end Jake's career in garbage time of a long-past-lost game, while Tom Wilson was doing, well, Tom Wilson things.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
We'll see where it leads but for now...

Nolan Patrick making progress, could be a regular at Flyers’ practices next week; ‘Ghost’s’ knee improved

“He’s really been ramping up the intensity of his skates,” Fletcher said, “and hopefully on Monday he’ll be part of our group for skating. He’s not cleared for contact yet, but, again, he’s continuing to do more and more on the ice and more and more off the ice. He’s trending the right way.”

Added Fletcher: “Our schedule the next few weeks has us at home more than we’re traveling, so we should have the opportunity to integrate him into our [practice] group.”​

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Let hope he has a great practice and starts more conditioning. I would think they really are looking at this as playing or not playing by the trade deadline. If he’s not ready which is not likely, then they get a 3C. If he is ready they get a 3W. I think they make a trade no matter what.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not so sure they make a move either way.
If Patrick returns, Laughton moves back to LW and Farabee can swing to both sides.
If Patrick doesn't return, what 3C is actually available at a reasonable price?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Let hope he has a great practice and starts more conditioning. I would think they really are looking at this as playing or not playing by the trade deadline. If he’s not ready which is not likely, then they get a 3C. If he is ready they get a 3W. I think they make a trade no matter what.

I'm wondering if they can rely on Patrick, even if he can play... not being certain on availability on a consistent basis, until playing for a considerable amount of time... maybe they just go with a veteran Center who can swing to the Wing... or maybe allow NP to play 4C for awhile, as he conditions up/gains confidence... like maybe a Filppula-lite but without extended Term remaining.

I do believe they will make a move... but do have to ramp up NP's Schedule to determine the path.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Not being cleared isn't the same thing as not being ready or close. They could be waiting for something specific or just for a certain amount of time to go by without symptoms before giving him the go ahead.

For all we know, he's able to take contact right now.

I like the optimism but I have zero faith in his ability to stay healthy long term to be able to be relied upon as a core piece.

I’ll eat it all up the day he proves me wrong. Would be a nice meal. He has a good bowel movement and these media guys are up and excited.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I like the optimism but I have zero faith in his ability to stay healthy long term to be able to be relied upon as a core piece.

I’ll eat it all up the day he proves me wrong. Would be a nice meal. He has a good bowel movement and these media guys are up and excited.
If he can come back then I'm not any more worried about him than any other player. Everyone is one fluke hit away from their careers being ruined. You never know.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos

Having a good bowel moment prevents migraines for me, serious.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If he can come back then I'm not any more worried about him than any other player. Everyone is one fluke hit away from their careers being ruined. You never know.

If he can come back and string together 20 games without injury while taking a few hits I’ll count him in as part of the future. Non contact practices don’t mean much to me.

He’s had injury issues before the Flyers, concussions and some other stuff aside from the migraines if my shit memory is right.

I’m just low on him. Maybe early to feel that way, but the overall vibes aren’t good imo. Again, would be nice if he proves me wrong.

The updates are just kind of funny to me. We have heard basically that he’s feeling a bit better. Anyone would with the level of medical intervention the Flyers are able to offer, it’s not groundbreaking.

Reactions: Lurch

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If he can come back and string together 20 games without injury while taking a few hits I’ll count him in as part of the future. Non contact practices don’t mean much to me.

He’s had injury issues before the Flyers, concussions and some other stuff aside from the migraines if my **** memory is right.

I’m just low on him. Maybe early to feel that way, but the overall vibes aren’t good imo. Again, would be nice if he proves me wrong.

The updates are just kind of funny to me. We have heard basically that he’s feeling a bit better. Anyone would with the level of medical intervention the Flyers are able to offer, it’s not groundbreaking.
I'm just happy with any progress and by his own words he's definitely feeling better.

Like I said, it may just be non-contact practices right now but that doesn't mean he hasn't taken significant steps or isn't close/ready. We'll see but I'm still optimistic about it and him in general. If he can come back I think he'll be very good.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I'm just happy with any progress and by his own words he's definitely feeling better.

Like I said, it may just be non-contact practices right now but that doesn't mean he hasn't taken significant steps or isn't close/ready. We'll see but I'm still optimistic about it and him in general. If he can come back I think he'll be very good.

It’s just the feeling better part doesn’t mean much to me. With the kind of medical attention he has been able to have, and basically living a contact free life I’d damn well expect that.

I just don’t like being teased. I feel as though I’m being teased :laugh:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would think best case scenario is he practices all this week. Gets cleared for contact. Plays in Lehigh for a week. And then comes up. So you’d think min it would be at least 2 weeks. That’s behind the trade deadline. I would think ideally they get him in a phantoms game before the deadline but that’s seems tough. Going to be a leap of faith as far as not making a dumb deal.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

The fact that they planned on him practicing today and this was know last week makes it seem like there is a plan with a schedule in mind. Just hitting milestones without setbacks.

Reactions: Adtar02 and renberg

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This may be putting the cart before the horse in a couple ways, but are the certain roster rules that we'd need to address for him to be eligible for playoffs? Like does he need to be activated by a certain date or in theory could he suit up Game Seven of the finals as his first appearance of the year?

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
This may be putting the cart before the horse in a couple ways, but are the certain roster rules that we'd need to address for him to be eligible for playoffs? Like does he need to be activated by a certain date or in theory could he suit up Game Seven of the finals as his first appearance of the year?

gotta make the playoffs first, Cale makar stepped in right into the playoffs after the NCAA finals. Patrick already played two nhl seasons so that doesn’t apply. Right now take as much time as he needs, even if that’s means sit for the year.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

If I understand your question correctly ...

Patrick is currently on LTIR. Prior, he was on a non-roster list. By being on LTIR, he has to be activated to play in a regular season NHL game and be part of the maximum 23-man playing roster (which expands from the trade deadline to the end of the regular season). If he continues to be on LTIR as the playoffs begin, then he would have to be activated and someone on the 23-man roster would have to be removed for any game. The salary cap does not exist in the playoffs and is not a factor. He has to be part of that 23-man active roster to play which can change during the playoffs, depending on circumstances including injuries.

Reactions: TheKingPin

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Patrick still believes he will play this season but time on return remains unclear

What’s different now, is the fact Patrick is back on the ice with his teammates and it appears to be happening consistently. Even though he is not cleared for contact just yet, the simple element of him skating with the team has had quite an effect on the center.

“For the mental side of things, it’s way nicer to be around your teammates,” Patrick told reporters following Monday’s practice. “Obviously, it’s been a lot of fun to come back. It’s fun for me to just be around the guys.”

Patrick has also had discussions with other players who have dealt with similar things, which has also seemed to help him.

“It’s tough being alone,” Patrick said. “Being by yourself throughout the process and not being around the team.”

This is something that clearly differs from a physical body injury — such as a broken bone, or a muscle strain. With those injuries comes an indication of when a player could possibly return. With Patrick’s case, it’s an ongoing process. And though it seems like progress is being made, there’s still no light and the end of the tunnel.

“It hasn’t been a fast process,” said Patrick. “It’s not like one day I just wake up and it’s a crazy difference, this whole process. I don’t have a timetable, and when I do, you guys will know.”

There’s clear frustration from Patrick, who just wants to be able to help his team. And even once he receives the go-ahead to be cleared for contact, there are multiple steps that need to be taken before he’s game ready. Patrick, his doctors and the team have made sure to take their time with things — there’s no reason to rush it now when there’s steady progress and the team currently holds a playoff spot.

After he’s cleared for contact, a conditioning stint with the AHL affiliate team, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, would be the next step.

“If I were you, I would only get excited about Nolan being around us once he gets sent to Lehigh Valley,” head coach Alain Vigneault said Monday. “Because that means that he’s getting close. Lehigh Valley means that he’s going down there for conditioning, to get some games in.”

Does Vigneault believe Patrick is close to heading to Allentown for said stint?
“I have no idea.”​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad