Injury Report: Nolan Patrick Diagnosed With Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26); limited practice, quotes (Feb 17-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If I understand your question correctly ...

Patrick is currently on LTIR. Prior, he was on a non-roster list. By being on LTIR, he has to be activated to play in a regular season NHL game and be part of the maximum 23-man playing roster (which expands from the trade deadline to the end of the regular season). If he continues to be on LTIR as the playoffs begin, then he would have to be activated and someone on the 23-man roster would have to be removed for any game. The salary cap does not exist in the playoffs and is not a factor. He has to be part of that 23-man active roster to play which can change during the playoffs, depending on circumstances including injuries.
Gotcha. So just to be clear, he doesn't have to play (or be activated and in the press box) at some time during the regular season?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Patrick still believes he will play this season but time on return remains unclear

What’s different now, is the fact Patrick is back on the ice with his teammates and it appears to be happening consistently. Even though he is not cleared for contact just yet, the simple element of him skating with the team has had quite an effect on the center.

“For the mental side of things, it’s way nicer to be around your teammates,” Patrick told reporters following Monday’s practice. “Obviously, it’s been a lot of fun to come back. It’s fun for me to just be around the guys.”

Patrick has also had discussions with other players who have dealt with similar things, which has also seemed to help him.

“It’s tough being alone,” Patrick said. “Being by yourself throughout the process and not being around the team.”

This is something that clearly differs from a physical body injury — such as a broken bone, or a muscle strain. With those injuries comes an indication of when a player could possibly return. With Patrick’s case, it’s an ongoing process. And though it seems like progress is being made, there’s still no light and the end of the tunnel.

“It hasn’t been a fast process,” said Patrick. “It’s not like one day I just wake up and it’s a crazy difference, this whole process. I don’t have a timetable, and when I do, you guys will know.”

There’s clear frustration from Patrick, who just wants to be able to help his team. And even once he receives the go-ahead to be cleared for contact, there are multiple steps that need to be taken before he’s game ready. Patrick, his doctors and the team have made sure to take their time with things — there’s no reason to rush it now when there’s steady progress and the team currently holds a playoff spot.

After he’s cleared for contact, a conditioning stint with the AHL affiliate team, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, would be the next step.

“If I were you, I would only get excited about Nolan being around us once he gets sent to Lehigh Valley,” head coach Alain Vigneault said Monday. “Because that means that he’s getting close. Lehigh Valley means that he’s going down there for conditioning, to get some games in.”

Does Vigneault believe Patrick is close to heading to Allentown for said stint?
“I have no idea.”​

Every time AV says I have no idea something happens. He obviously has some idea and needs to protect Patrick. It’s great he’s feeling better.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Like Cale Makkar
Yeah I remember he did it but I wasn't sure if that was part of some rule with guys playing in the NCAA. I just hope Patrick plays for us again at some point. Obviously want him back ASAP but as long as this doesn't just end his career and he can play again that would be nice.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
College Free Agents aren't eligible for playoffs (most times, they were in 2013 when the lockout pushed the deadlines back). As long as you are on the Reserve List you can play in the playoffs.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Here is more of an update and expands on the prospect of Patrick returning and how it relates to potential trade discussion:

What we know about Flyers’ trade deadline plans ‘sniffing around’ rental market

Fletcher doesn’t want that kind of pressure on the player. He said Thursday, in regard to Patrick’s status, “I don’t think it will affect (trade plans) at all.”

He also noted there has been progress.

“He’s been involved in some battle drills lately, which is a big step,” Fletcher said. “He hasn’t been cleared for full contact but we’re working that way. I think the sense is he will come back this year, but realistically, after missing a whole season, I don’t know. It would be hard to throw him in the middle of your lineup down the stretch but just to get him back would be great for our team but more importantly great for him after a long battle.

“I think we’re approaching it that if we get him back it’s a bonus and I do believe he’ll come back but we’re gonna have to make decisions independent of Nolan and hope that Nolan can come back. He’s a big part of our future.”

Patrick is still on long-term injured reserve, which means the Flyers have an allowance to go over the salary cap of up to Patrick’s $925,000 cap hit. That gives them just over $2 million in space to work with, according to CapFriendly.com. The salary cap remains in effect for the regular season but goes away in the playoffs. After Monday’s trade deadline, rosters can expand above 23 players as long as they are otherwise cap compliant.​

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
That interview with Bill was rough to watch. You can tell he hates talking about it and is determined not to give any info out

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
That interview with Bill was rough to watch. You can tell he hates talking about it and is determined not to give any info out

I didn't re the interview that you're talking about... but FWIW, I dont believe he enjoys any interviews... He is not an outgoing young man, who appears to be at all comfortable in front of a mic/camera. Of course, I certainly can be mistaken... and it is only about his current situation.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
More then Jeff Carter did! :confused:

FWIW... in all my 50+ years of being a Flyers Fan, Jeff Carter IIRC was the only Flyers Player that I have interacted with that I can say was flat out rude to me... the only Player who not only seemingly purposely would not make eye contact with me, but actually made it completely apparent to me that that he wanted no part of any contact with me... I honestly can say that I have treated unsolicited sales people more civilly, and with more respect than he treated me--on multiple occassions--and I detest those people... I'm a quiet unassuming person who respects Pro-Athletes and merely wants a signing and brief meeting no frills meeting.

Just for one example; at a Flyers Fan Event he was at a table besides Danny Briere--polar opposites to the n-th degree--I politely handed Carter something to autograph... he took it and and looked up to the Attendant beside him in the midst of a conversation, never acknowledging my presence... I moved on to an awaiting Danny Briere who met me with 100% eye contact that he held the entire time I was with him... smiling as if I was his best buddy from forever.

I'm an old dude who is merely a longtime Flyers Fan that likes to show my appreciation to Players... I sure hope Jeff Carter doesn't treat the young Fans who love his Goal Scoring, and admire him, as rudely as he has treated me. I admired Carter's talents... but have never liked him as a Flyer; one of the rare times I can honestly say that... off the top of my head, I can't even name another. [/Rant]

Reactions: Hexy4

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
FWIW... in all my 50+ years of being a Flyers Fan, Jeff Carter IIRC was the only Flyers Player that I have interacted with that I can say was flat out rude to me... the only Player who not only seemingly purposely would not make eye contact with me, but actually made it completely apparent to me that that he wanted no part of any contact with me... I honestly can say that I have treated unsolicited sales people more civilly, and with more respect than he treated me--on multiple occassions--and I detest those people... I'm a quiet unassuming person who respects Pro-Athletes and merely wants a signing and brief meeting no frills meeting.

Just for one example; at a Flyers Fan Event he was at a table besides Danny Briere--polar opposites to the n-th degree--I politely handed Carter something to autograph... he took it and and looked up to the Attendant beside him in the midst of a conversation, never acknowledging my presence... I moved on to an awaiting Danny Briere who met me with 100% eye contact that he held the entire time I was with him... smiling as if I was his best buddy from forever.

I'm an old dude who is merely a longtime Flyers Fan that likes to show my appreciation to Players... I sure hope Jeff Carter doesn't treat the young Fans who love his Goal Scoring, and admire him, as rudely as he has treated me. I admired Carter's talents... but have never liked him as a Flyer; one of the rare times I can honestly say that... off the top of my head, I can't even name another. [/Rant]
Carter was my first favorite Flyer and I met him at my first carnival when I was 9 back in 2006. Don't remember him being rude at all to me and he was friendly enough as one really could be to a 9 year old kid during a 30 second photo op interaction. That's not to say he chatted me up like we were best buddies or anything but he still smiled, said hi, typical meet and greet interaction. Still have the picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sawdalite

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Carter was my first favorite Flyer and I met him at my first carnival when I was 9 back in 2006. Don't remember him being rude at all to me and he was friendly enough as one really could be to a 9 year old kid during a 30 second photo op interaction. That's not to say he chatted me up like we were best buddies or anything but he still smiled, said hi, typical meet and greet interaction. Still have the picture.

Thank you for this... makes me believe that maybe Carter was good with the kids... Maybe he just was a schit to adults. Since it was not just once, I tend to think it wasn't just an isolated incident with me... and I believe that others have had a similar experience, however... I may be wrong.

In the end, what difference does it make how he treats adults, as long as he treats the kids in a manner that fits their idolizing him... That was always my hope; this makes me feel much better.

But I still dont like him... I just don't. (<<<Read in Crosby voice)

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Yeah...I think it’s time to fish or cut bait with Nolan Patrick’s situation...
Either you try him in the next week or so or officially shut him down for the year!
Hope he’s physically and mentally fit to start at next year’s training camp!

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
and it usually takes him 40 games to start looking good....
That's pretty misleading considering there was a reason for both of those slow starts.

Coming back from surgery and his rookie season the first time. Then the absolute disaster that was Hakstol and Hextalls final months in his second year.

I'm certainly not willing to assume that it will be a continuing pattern if/when he comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->