Injury Report: Nolan Patrick Diagnosed With Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26); limited practice, quotes (Feb 17-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
How many 21 year olds have gone on disability leave for an entire year of work for migraines, even in contact sports?

Leave it to the Flyers to hit this infinitesimal percentage.

I’m no medical doctor (& I haven’t seen his records even if I were) but the sad thing is the strangeness of the situation makes one wonder if there could be other aspects to it. No, I don’t think that’s the probable truth at all. But I know I’m not the only person who’s had passing thoughts like, “Is this the full story? Is there some mental stuff contributing here?”

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
How many 21 year olds have gone on disability leave for an entire year of work for migraines, even in contact sports?

I’m no medical doctor (& I haven’t seen his records even if I were) but the sad thing is the strangeness of the situation makes one wonder if there could be other aspects to it. No, I don’t think that’s the probable truth at all. But I know I’m not the only person who’s had passing thoughts like, “Is this the full story? Is there some mental stuff contributing here?”

I don't understand what you are speculating.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

He had them when he was a kid and the family has a history of them do they not?

So...not sure what you are trying to say.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

VlIQXfO.jpg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's pretty misleading considering there was a reason for both of those slow starts.

Coming back from surgery and his rookie season the first time. Then the absolute disaster that was Hakstol and Hextalls final months in his second year.

I'm certainly not willing to assume that it will be a continuing pattern if/when he comes back.
It's not misleading at all. It's what happened.

Year 1 he started playing well and producing the end of Jan. In year 2, it was mid-Jan.

And now in year 3, if he were to play, he hasn't played in almost a year, couldn't train in the summer, and had no training camp. We should expect him to hit the ground running when he has yet to be able to do that?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Huh, a number of players have missed extended time due to migraines.
Patrick's is more severe, but not unprecedented.

"After a year and a half trying to get back to the ice with an uncertain prognosis, Stephen Johns is officially ready to play hockey games again."

And it's actually common among athletes, Dwayne Wade, Aikman, Steve Kerr, Scotty Pippen.

Backstrom and Kris Letang, among other NHL players.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Huh, a number of players have missed extended time due to migraines.
Patrick's is more severe, but not unprecedented.

"After a year and a half trying to get back to the ice with an uncertain prognosis, Stephen Johns is officially ready to play hockey games again."

And it's actually common among athletes, Dwayne Wade, Aikman, Steve Kerr, Scotty Pippen.

Backstrom and Kris Letang, among other NHL players.

We aren’t talking an incredibly small #? Is there even one at all?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Year 1 he started playing well and producing the end of Jan. In year 2, it was mid-Jan.

And now in year 3, if he were to play, he hasn't played in almost a year, couldn't train in the summer, and had no training camp. We should expect him to hit the ground running when he has yet to be able to do that?
The point is that the slow starts happened because of something, not a flaw with Patrick himself.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The point is that the slow starts happened because of something, not a flaw with Patrick himself.
Year 1, yes
year 2, no
year 3, tbd

You can blame Hak for year 2, but that's unfair. Others played well.

Truth is, in Patrick's first 38 games in year 2, he had 11 points. That's a 24 point pace.
His last 34 games, he had 20.

In the first 10 games AFTER Hakstol was fired, Patrick had 1 point-No Hak
In the last 9 games to end last year, Patrick had 9 point-No Hak

He had a healthy summer to train and still did not start to put things together until mid Jan. He deserves blame. Nothing wrong with that. And of course, that being said, I hope he puts this shitty 3 years behind him and becomes the player we expected when drafted...a 60ish point two way C.

:crossfing

Reactions: flyersnorth

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Year 1, yes
year 2, no
year 3, tbd

You can blame Hak for year 2, but that's unfair. Others played well.

Truth is, in Patrick's first 38 games in year 2, he had 11 points. That's a 24 point pace.
His last 34 games, he had 20.

In the first 10 games AFTER Hakstol was fired, Patrick had 1 point-No Hak
In the last 9 games to end last year, Patrick had 9 point-No Hak

He had a healthy summer to train and still did not start to put things together until mid Jan. He deserves blame. Nothing wrong with that. And of course, that being said, I hope he puts this shitty 3 years behind him and becomes the player we expected when drafted...a 60ish point two way C.

:crossfing
I'm not blaming Hak for year 2, just saying that there were unusual circumstances that could have played a part.

Like I said, the main point is just that it's not like there's a defined pattern of Patrick having an issue of starting slow for half a year, year after year. Even if you blame him 100% for year 2, that's one time and shouldn't be enough to make us worry that it'll happen again. That's all I'm saying.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think we have to stop of thinking as prospect development as linear, remember when MacKinnon was a "flop," (31 ES points his 2nd season, 35 his 3rd, 37 his 4th) when Wheeler was traded b/c the Bruins never thought he'd be more than a marginal top six forward . . .

If Patrick is finally healthy and breaks out at 22, well, that's when Scheifele broke out.

Not every top prospect is an instant star.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Is this the kind of thing he could come back from, and then it pops up again unexpectedly? Or is it a case of once it’s figured out, managing it becomes a long term/sustainable thing?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Is this the kind of thing he could come back from, and then it pops up again unexpectedly? Or is it a case of once it’s figured out, managing it becomes a long term/sustainable thing?
Both.

Do you not know anyone with migraines?

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I know people who get migraines, but no one who would be described as having a migraine disorder. My mom used to get migraines that would take her out for a day/s. But she hasn’t had one in years to that same extent.

So no I don’t know anyone who gets them more than periodically. That’s why the disorder aspect is unfamiliar to me, everyone I’ve known who has gotten them has only done so occasionally and generally few and far between.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

He will be in pretty good shape I think... it is not a situation where he could not train at all, and now has been back on ice doing pretty much everything but heavy contact for three weeks or so. But ofc not "game-shape". In virtually any sport can kill it at the gym, be good in practice... but not the same as the intricacies of a game.

Look at Pitlick... he could not properly train for around a month, looked bad in first two weeks of games, and then was "back" to his normal level.

I guess once Patrick is in a game he will be ~5 games/a few weeks out of being at a level he is happy with/feels good with...

Reactions: Tripod

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

We aren’t talking an incredibly small #? Is there even one at all?

Stephen Johns... in the same sport... just missed 22 months with a similar issue. He is 27, not 21, but I dont think that matter too much.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Will he be back this season? Maybe
at this point he should be shelved, call it a lost year, and focus on being 100% by September
if he was ready to go tomorrow [which he isn't] and sent to the AHL for a 2 week conditioning stint, he'd be back up with us with less than 10 games in the regular season.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
at this point he should be shelved, call it a lost year, and focus on being 100% by September
if he was ready to go tomorrow [which he isn't] and sent to the AHL for a 2 week conditioning stint, he'd be back up with us with less than 10 games in the regular season.
If he's ready and symptom free, he's going to play.

Reactions: Appleyard

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Depends on how Grant plays the next couple weeks, if Grant is solid, then you have your physical 3C. In which case they may let Patrick play a few games, then have him sit for the playoffs.

It's not like Patrick is going to be a 50 ES scorer the last month of the season after sitting out the whole year - this isn't like getting someone like Backstrom back.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Depends on how Grant plays the next couple weeks, if Grant is solid, then you have your physical 3C. In which case they may let Patrick play a few games, then have him sit for the playoffs.

It's not like Patrick is going to be a 50 ES scorer the last month of the season after sitting out the whole year - this isn't like getting someone like Backstrom back.

If he is able to play at close to the level he played in last ~40 games of both his age 19 and 20 season though that would be a pretty good upgrade at 3C over Laughton or Grant though. And in turn make the 3rd AND 4th lines better.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If he’s able to play he should. If nothing else to help into this offseason that he will hopefully have free to train for the first time in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia