Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Noah got beat once or twice and people act like hes bad... he was a rookie and was our most physical defenseman, a rock in his zone, great on the transition and hes 22.

Theres a reason Ive been wanting to trade Petry for a year now. Juulsen is ready, he should be groomed as the heir to the 2nd pair so we can ease in Brook next year and most importantly, to beat the oversaturated trade market of the expansion draft.

Agreed. I recall Barzal burning him and people think Juulsen gets burned all the time because of one or two plays they saw and didn't like. Were not talking about our next Subban or Markov here. We talking about top 4D quality.

Juulsen is a good one. Average top 4D who plays a physical game and has solid mobility and puck moving skills.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Noah got beat once or twice and people act like hes bad... he was a rookie and was our most physical defenseman, a rock in his zone, great on the transition and hes 22.

Very interested to see how he does this year...

He has intriguing upside and could quite easily have a breakout season that completely changes the general fan narrative about him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Very interested to see how he does this year...

He has intriguing upside and could quite easily have a breakout season that completely changes the general fan narrative about him.

The general fan gravitates towards offensive players and don't look at things that don't show up on the score sheet for the most part. Juulsen will play a boring game and will not get noticed too much but he plays physical and is a stud in his own end. Every coach he played with used him in a shutdown type role.

We won't get too much offensive from him but his puck moving skills, mobility, and shot from the point is very solid.

His true value is making you pay a physical price in our end and he has decent puck moving skills.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Agreed. I recall Barzal burning him and people think Juulsen gets burned all the time because of one or two plays they saw and didn't like. Were not talking about our next Subban or Markov here. We talking about top 4D quality.

Juulsen is a good one. Average top 4D who plays a physical game and has solid mobility and puck moving skills.

Petry got beat on the same plays,seen it many times.but much less as the season went along. Simple fundamentals that have to be re-conditioned at times. Their biggest flaws stems from playing the puck rather than playing the body,so easy to get sucked in to that,just takes more rehearsing. I think Richardson has been good things with the D since he signed on, glad to get JJD out of there!

Reactions: cphabs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The general fan gravitates towards offensive players and don't look at things that don't show up on the score sheet for the most part. Juulsen will play a boring game and will not get noticed too much but he plays physical and is a stud in his own end. Every coach he played with used him in a shutdown type role.

We won't get too much offensive from him but his puck moving skills, mobility, and shot from the point is very solid.
His game isnt even boring tbh. Hes super comfortable with the puck.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

His true value is making you pay a physical price in our end and he has decent puck moving skills.

I don't think his offensive ceiling is as low as you seem to suggest.

He could plateau, or he could keep improving and eventually be as impactful offensively as he was in Juniors... The talent is there, question of how well he adapts to the pro game over time & how committed he is to constantly improving.

30-40+ points a year is not at all out of reach for him imo, time will tell

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think his offensive ceiling is as low as you seem to suggest.

He could plateau, or he could keep improving and eventually be as impactful offensively as he was in Juniors... The talent is there, question of how well he adapts to the pro game over time & how committed he is to constantly improving.

30-40+ points a year is not at all out of reach for him imo, time will tell

MEV type is his ceiling.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I like his style and still have high hopes for him, but he had atrocious stretches last season and his ice time was reduced as a result. I'm guessing #3 RD spot is his to lose.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I hope they trade Juulsen....or he gets picked up by Seattle in the expansion draft....he doesn't have a strong hockey IQ.

Maybe offensive IQ but the guy knows when to pinch in the neutral zone like few others on the team. I wouldn't say he has low IQ. He's been on a leash too offensively, just seems he doesn't want to make mistakes out there which is alright when you're trying to become a top 6 guy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hope they don't trade Juulsen anytime soon.

Judging by the fact that they drafted a ton of left D's, I'm guessing Juulsen is in the plans.

Other than Juulsen, on the right we really only have Fleury and Brook. On the left we had Romanov, Mete, and Harris. Yet they felt the need to bolster the prospect pool for the left side. But the right and left weren't that different if you were to have taken Juulsen out of the picture.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Maybe offensive IQ but the guy knows when to pinch in the neutral zone like few others on the team. I wouldn't say he has low IQ. He's been on a leash too offensively, just seems he doesn't want to make mistakes out there which is alright when you're trying to become a top 6 guy.

Another one to go through Lefebvre's show.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think his ceiling is closer to Carlson or McDonagh.

Don't see it, Juulsen is at best an average skater. His hands and skill level are also average but his shot, physicality and intelligence are his strong points.

Carlson and McDonagh are very good skaters who can buy time and space with their feet and hands whereas Juulsen is limited in this aspect. He will have to be a dman who makes quick decisions and who doesn't keep the puck on his stick for too long if he is going to be succesful in the NHL.

I have always been a fan of his game but he is much more Craig Rivet than he is either Carlson or McDonagh. I do agree that some people are underselling his offensive upside but he will never be in consideration for a Norris or as a PP quarterback.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Don't see it, Juulsen is at best an average skater. His hands and skill level are also average but his his shot, physicality and intelligence are his strong points.

Carlson and McDonagh are very good skaters who can buy time and space with their feet and hands whereas Juulsen is limited in this aspect. He will have to be a dman who makes quick decisions and who doesn't keep the puck on his stick for too long if he is going to be succesful in the NHL.

I have always been a fan of his game but he is much more Craig Rivet than he is either Carlson or McDonagh. I do agree that some people are underselling his offensive upside but he will never be in consideration for a Norris or as a PP quarterback.
I think his ceiling is closer to Weber than MCDonagh, but thats unlikely. He missed too much time.

I do like his mobility though, great edges and all. Obviously not the fastest but his edges are excellent and hes super strong on his skates.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
I think I saw on the Hockey News that they would expect Mtl to protect Mete & make Juulsen available in the expansion draft, I would do the exact opposite.
I think Juulsen has more upside.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think I saw on the Hockey News that they would expect Mtl to protect Mete & make Juulsen available in the expansion draft, I would do the exact opposite.
I think Juulsen has more upside.

It is way too early to really speculate too much on this topic. Alot can happen in each players development between now and then as well as the prospects that are coming up behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad