Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I remember the fans who believed a media report over the Habs doctors in terms of his career in jeopardy. Glad that's behind us.

Actually, the most extensive and damaging info had come from Juulsen's agent in a lengthy LaPresse article. Prognosis didn't look good at the time but he did leave an open door for an alternate outcome. Juulsen beat the odds.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Saw Juulsen’s year end interview and he sounded great, 100% bill if health. I hope he stays in Laval though working with Joel Bouchard.

With Folin signing (and who knows if Benn will be extended), the Habs may just be ensuring that if Juulsen isn't ready to crack the Habs out of camp, he can start in Laval.

Imagine Laval's RD if Juulsen starts there: Juulsen, Brook, Fleury.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Brook will replace Petry when his contract comes due or he's traded in his final season. Juuls will be on the 3rd pairing this year

I'll be happy when we no longer have lefties playing the right side. We don't have quality lefties to play the left side as it is.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I have Juulsen in higher esteem than most. Only question is can he stay healthy ? Lots of concussions, and various issues. I'm hopeful the bad luck is behind him on that front because he'll be a good one if he can stay healthy. Kid has 2 more goals than Mete in one third of the games, who is the defensive dman here ? Just kidding but I was really impressed with him from the start and he was looking very good before those 2 pucks to the face - lightning never strikes twice?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have Juulsen in higher esteem than most. Only question is can he stay healthy ? Lots of concussions, and various issues. I'm hopeful the bad luck is behind him on that front because he'll be a good one if he can stay healthy. Kid has 2 more goals than Mete in one third of the games, who is the defensive dman here ? Just kidding but I was really impressed with him from the start and he was looking very good before those 2 pucks to the face - lightning never strikes twice?

I've always liked Juulsen, much like Poehling I see him as a very likely solid NHLer but not sure how good he can be, if it's just a bottom pairing D or can he be a top 4? I like his defensive and physical game, he's got a decent shot. Needs to work on his mobility and skating which in today's NHL is very big so with better skating and more mobile guys like Brook and Fleury knocking on the door, he will need to improve there.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I've always liked Juulsen, much like Poehling I see him as a very likely solid NHLer but not sure how good he can be, if it's just a bottom pairing D or can he be a top 4? I like his defensive and physical game, he's got a decent shot. Needs to work on his mobility and skating which in today's NHL is very big so with better skating and more mobile guys like Brook and Fleury knocking on the door, he will need to improve there.

He's clearly not a speed demon but I don't know if I ever noticed it as a real flaw in his game. He's only played 40ish games so far though. I hope he plays the full season next year so we have a better idea of what he can or can't do in the NHL.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
With Folin signing (and who knows if Benn will be extended), the Habs may just be ensuring that if Juulsen isn't ready to crack the Habs out of camp, he can start in Laval.

Imagine Laval's RD if Juulsen starts there: Juulsen, Brook, Fleury.
That could eventually be the big league RD.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Needs to have a good camp or he could wind up in the A next season. Brook had a great camp last fall, if he has another one this September Brook could leapfrog Juulsen. Camp seems to be big with Bergs, Koktaniemi and Mete both made team in past after great camp

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's clearly not a speed demon but I don't know if I ever noticed it as a real flaw in his game. He's only played 40ish games so far though. I hope he plays the full season next year so we have a better idea of what he can or can't do in the NHL.

It's more his mobility, as he can get beat to the outside by quicker players. Hopefully his injuries are behind him and he can play a full season.

Needs to have a good camp or he could wind up in the A next season. Brook had a great camp last fall, if he has another one this September Brook could leapfrog Juulsen. Camp seems to be big with Bergs, Koktaniemi and Mete both made team in past after great camp

I have said I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brook makes the team as he's just that good. But we'll see how it goes at camp and what moves are made.

Don’t forget Fleury who had a good rookie season and has one complete season of AHL experience

I fully expect Fleury to be in Laval as he still needs to work on his defensive game but I do think he'll play games at some point with the Habs.

Reactions: Tyson

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, and if we sign a LD like Jake Gardiner, we have enough depth on D to allow both Mete and Juulsen to get another full year in Laval to develop, if need be.

Gardiner Weber
Kulak Petry
Benn/Reilly Folin

I would much rather have Mete on the first pair than Jake Gardiner. Please please please stay as far away as possible from Jake Gardiner.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I have said I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brook makes the team as he's just that good. But we'll see how it goes at camp and what moves are made.
If Brook and Juulsen both have a good camp could consider trading Petry at deadline? Before his value falls off. We have depth on right defense. Even if Juulsen fails, we have Fleury coming also. Maybe more if we know this pick in '19 will be a top defenseman.

Reactions: Apeironic

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Saw Juulsen’s year end interview and he sounded great, 100% bill if health. I hope he stays in Laval though working with Joel Bouchard.

Why? Did you not like his NHL game prior to his injury? He was certainly not looking out of place in a top 4D role. Lead our team in hits and blocks. I think he is our 3rd pairing guy to start the year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only Leafs fans desperately want us to sign him... I wonder why...

I rather overpay in AAV for Edler for 2 or 3 years vs giving Gardiner the term and AAV he will want. Gardiner is not that good. His stats look good but look when those stats increased? It's when the Leafs inserted the 3 young guns.

Buyer beware on Gardiner. He will get interest but it's a trap. Plus, I don't think he will sign with the Habs anyways. Problem solved.

Reactions: Apeironic

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Why? Did you not like his NHL game prior to his injury? He was certainly not looking out of place in a top 4D role. Lead our team in hits and blocks. I think he is our 3rd pairing guy to start the year.
I thought he played great. If you recall there was a lot of talk that his career was in jeopardy because of taking two pucks to the face in one game. I thought everyone knew that.
My post was made with the impression that everyone knew he suffered a serious season (possibly career ending) injury/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I thought he played great. If you recall there was a lot of talk that his career was in jeopardy because of taking two pucks to the face in one game. I thought everyone knew that.
My post was made with the impression that everyone knew he suffered a serious season (possibly career ending) injury/

The "his career might be in jeopardy" was a article done by the media and never was confirmed by the Habs. The Habs doctors said they expected a full recovery and he was listed as 100% a few weeks ago.

Don't put too much stock value into a article by the media trying to create a story.

The only way I see Juulsen starting in the AHL is if Brook shines in camp and forces the Habs hand. However, I think Brook starts AHL and Juulsen starts NHL on the 3rd pairing.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

I thought his gap control and ability to maintain players on the outside was poor. Towards the end just prior to the injuries I found he was getting beat fairly regularly. I think he can correct that part of his game though with better gap control, decision making. He doesn't have the footspeed to recover when he gets beat outside.

Reactions: Tyson

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I thought his gap control and ability to maintain players on the outside was poor. Towards the end just prior to the injuries I found he was getting beat fairly regularly. I think he can correct that part of his game though with better gap control, decision making. He doesn't have the footspeed to recover when he gets beat outside.
When there's a long distance between him and an opponent into a rush he struggled. It's too fast for him. Took time to be at same pace and recovering.

By correcting that, what a hella of defensemen Juulsen might be.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
When there's a long distance between him and an opponent into a rush he struggled. It's too fast for him. Took time to be at same pace and recovering.

By correcting that, what a hella of defensemen Juulsen might be.

More time with Richardson will help,did wonders with Petry this year. Richardson vastly improved the D and is a superb mentor and instructor. Not sure who is responsible for the D in Laval,but Richardson should be able to guide there as well.

Reactions: 26Mats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad