Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’d go chairot-juulsen. Two rookies on the same pairing together with one playing his offside is a recipe for disaster. As much as I like fleury there would be no room with juulsen in the lineup. We are so clogged up on the right side

So what do we do with Fleury next year?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’d go chairot-juulsen. Two rookies on the same pairing together with one playing his offside is a recipe for disaster. As much as I like fleury there would be no room with juulsen in the lineup. We are so clogged up on the right side

We've only got some quality added depth if Juulsen is really fully recovered. Let's keep our fingers crossed on that and we can reassess. Hopefully he bounces back from where he left off pre-injury.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Isn't that a great problem to have? How many times have you seen that in the last 7 years? Never, right?

Enjoy. :D

Yeah, and it's going to get even more and more like that with all the good left d prospects.

Ultimately, if Juulsen beats out Fleury, Fleury can have another year in the A. First of all because he, unlike Juulsen shortly, can pass through waivers. Second, it can only help his development.

In my mind, 2021-2022 is when we should be looking to. When our young core are of age. Weber will be too old. Petry will probably be too old - but maybe not. The questions is, does MB have the balls to make a Paciroetty type trade letting go of Weber or Petry in a season where we have a winning team - to try to snag a d version of Nick Suzuki? Weer and Petry most likely won't be apart of the future contending team we should try to build. A future d version of Suzuki could be.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah, and it's going to get even more and more like that with all the good left d prospects.

Ultimately, if Juulsen beats out Fleury, Fleury can have another year in the A. First of all because he, unlike Juulsen shortly, can pass through waivers. Second, it can only help his development.

In my mind, 2021-2022 is when we should be looking to. When our young core are of age. Weber will be too old. Petry will probably be too old - but maybe not. The questions is, does MB have the balls to make a Paciroetty type trade letting go of Weber or Petry in a season where we have a winning team - to try to snag a d version of Nick Suzuki? Weer and Petry most likely won't be apart of the future contending team we should try to build. A future d version of Suzuki could be.

Won't Juulsen have to be protected at the expansion draft? If yes, all the more reason to find out what Juulsen has and soon enough.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Won't Juulsen have to be protected at the expansion draft? If yes, all the more reason to find out what Juulsen has and soon enough.

Only 3 D we need to consider protecting: Mete, Juulsen, and Kulak.

Weber's contract will be a burden by then.
Petry will be a ufa (why we didn't protect Markov and Radulov last time)

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Only 3 D we need to consider protecting: Mete, Juulsen, and Kulak.

Weber's contract will be a burden by then.
Petry will be a ufa (why we didn't protect Markov and Radulov last time)

Nice. At least no gut-wrenching decisions to make re our D. Of course, if the GM goes out and acquires a first pairing LD type, then one of the above guys is probably going to be included in a deal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've listened closely to the interview Bouchard game to the media (mostly in French, some English), which you'll find here:

One more thing that comes out about Juulsen when listening to the presser as opposed to just reviewing the main comment that I translated in a prior post in this thread, is how emphatic the comments are about Juulsen's improved health.

We've seen how it's been 10 days that Juulsen has been cleared to play.

When Bouchard was asked if Juulsen is still bothered by vision problems and headaches, his reply is categorical: "zero".

Bouchard adds without hesitation: "He's 100% (healthy) in all aspects." It's only a matter of deploying him at the right time (winning conditions for the player).

And that's the main takeaway for me. No symptoms, no restrictions, no grey areas. This is as clear as it gets.

The piece also mentions that Juulsen played 21 games with the Habs last season and 3 games with the Rocket. Juulsen has not played since December 27, 2018, so he's lost almost a full year of development. He got injured on November 19th, when he took two pucks to the face resulting in a fracture.

The only caveat to all of this: Juulsen was reportedly suffering from vision issues and headaches until not too long ago. We need to bear that in mind when looking at his current state of health but as it concerns right now, the news are really positive.

Reactions: angusyoung

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
So what do we do with Fleury next year?
Many things can happen. Fluery might need to be sent back this year and might even need another year or 2 of development as he is only 20, juulsen might never be the same, We can eventually shift one of them to the left side say Juulsen in the AHL this year and see how he does, One of them might get traded for other needs, they could both bust. It’s not a bad problem to have and eventually the best player will earn his spot on the team, it will play itself out. We also have Brook to worry about on that side as well

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Many things can happen. Fluery might need to be sent back this year and might even need another year or 2 of development as he is only 20, juulsen might never be the same, We can eventually shift one of them to the left side say Juulsen in the AHL this year and see how he does, One of them might get traded for other needs, they could both bust. It’s not a bad problem to have and eventually the best player will earn his spot on the team, it will play itself out. We also have Brook to worry about on that side as well

The Habs have not used nor developed any D to regularly play the opposite side of his handedness. Have the Habs made any announcement that they'd do so now, with any of their Ds? If not, then it's pure speculation, it will not happen.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
The Habs have not used nor developed any D to regularly play the opposite side of his handedness. Have the Habs made any announcement that they'd do so now, with any of their Ds? If not, then it's pure speculation, it will not happen.
Absolutely it is just speculation, I was just listing all possible scenarios that can play out

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've listened closely to the interview Bouchard game to the media (mostly in French, some English), which you'll find here:

One more thing that comes out about Juulsen when listening to the presser as opposed to just reviewing the main comment that I translated in a prior post in this thread, is how emphatic the comments are about Juulsen's improved health.

We've seen how it's been 10 days that Juulsen has been cleared to play.

When Bouchard was asked if Juulsen is still bothered by vision problems and headaches, his reply is categorical: "zero".

Bouchard adds without hesitation: "He's 100% (healthy) in all aspects." It's only a matter of deploying him at the right time (winning conditions for the player).

And that's the main takeaway for me. No symptoms, no restrictions, no grey areas. This is as clear as it gets.

The piece also mentions that Juulsen played 21 games with the Habs last season and 3 games with the Rocket. Juulsen has not played since December 27, 2018, so he's lost almost a full year of development. He got injured on November 19th, when he took two pucks to the face resulting in a fracture.

The only caveat to all of this: Juulsen was reportedly suffering from vision issues and headaches until not too long ago. We need to bear that in mind when looking at his current state of health but as it concerns right now, the news are really positive.

Juulsen was also already not looking very promising. Guy was as boring a prospect could be. Bottom pair Dman was the best case scenario...and now you add a year of nothing.
I expect very little from him. Keep him in Laval all year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Juulsen was also already not looking very promising. Guy was as boring a prospect could be. Bottom pair Dman was the best case scenario...and now you add a year of nothing.

I don't remember Juulsen being out of place before his injury, I think he was adequate. However, he's never been an offensive producer and was only getting his feet wet at age 21 last year.

Since the Habs are well stocked on the right side of their D at the NHL level, no point even thinking of whether he might play at the NHL level this year. I agree, leave him in Laval where he's going to get his minutes and catch up on the critical development time that he missed out on. Who knows if he might even be dangled or included in a deal -- if he's a piece that another team values, they can afford to move him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't remember Juulsen being out of place before his injury, I think he was adequate. However, he's never been an offensive producer and was only getting his feet wet at age 21 last year.

Since the Habs are well stocked on the right side of their D at the NHL level, no point even thinking of whether he might play at the NHL level this year. I agree, leave him in Laval where he's going to get his minutes and catch up on the critical development time that he missed out on. Who knows if he might even be dangled or included in a deal -- if he's a piece that another team values, they can afford to move him.
Will be interesting to see if Bouchard can work some magic. I expect nothing from Juulsen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think Juulsen can still be top 4, but the runway won't be long and the specter of commotion retirement is much more real.

His eye injury is only aspect of course. He's had headaches until recently and he has a history of commotions. That remains a concern.

Will be interesting to see if Bouchard can work some magic. I expect nothing from Juulsen.

Best way to avoid disappointment. I think the missed year plus the many times it appeared it career might be over, makes it easier to adopt the approach of not expecting anything.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
What’s wrong with a bottom pairing defenceman in the nhl? Not everyone who gets drafted turns into an all star. Even first round picks can be career 3rd or 4th liners. Doesn’t mean their busts.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
What’s wrong with a bottom pairing defenceman in the nhl? Not everyone who gets drafted turns into an all star. Even first round picks can be career 3rd or 4th liners. Doesn’t mean their busts.
For sure. People get so hung up on points nowadays they forget it takes more than scoring to win hockey games.

Reactions: Steeler23

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I think he's solid but yeah. I was surprised at how many people were raving about him. I thought he was solid. I think Fleury has more upside. I'm not as meh on him as you but losing a year will be tough. If he can get faster I think he can possibly be a #4. He has decent puck skills and thought he made good decisions with the puck.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Can you give an example?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Don’t think it’s a good idea to send a recently injured player, vision issues no less, to his wrong side of the ice.

he should get 2nd pairing duties in Laval, on the RIGHT and let him build his confidence, stamina and decision making abilities for a few months.

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Juulsen plays in the top 4 and does really well

HeS a BotTom PaiRinG D!!!11!1

Mete plays on the first pair for three years and does well

HEs an aHl DmAn !1!111 OmG nO gOall mAnleT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad