Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Yeah, I'm not really on the same page as most of you.

While the turnovers last game were more of an anomaly as he's usually pretty safe with the puck, he's essentially a guarantee to get walked 1-2 times a game. And for someone who's offensive game is so vanilla he needs to be much better defensively to ever be a legit top 4 D. The Emelin comparison is funny because I also always had the same reservations about him as I do Juulsen, yet a lot of people tended to look past those concerns while significantly overvaluing his physical presence IMO.

When Emelin came in the league he was 25. He had 3 seasons in the KHL under his belt and a bunch more in the russian elite league beforehand. Juulsen started last year at 20 and showed much more than Emelin ever showed us, maybe just outisde of his peak when he was playing with Markov. I think the comparison is only valid based on Juulsen's current play, but he showed us that he can be so much more. I don't think you remember all the times Emelin played incredibly dumb defensively, left his position, made bad passes to the opponent's etc. Emelin was not all that steady.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, I'm not really on the same page as most of you.

While the turnovers last game were more of an anomaly as he's usually pretty safe with the puck, he's essentially a guarantee to get walked 1-2 times a game. And for someone who's offensive game is so vanilla he needs to be much better defensively to ever be a legit top 4 D. The Emelin comparison is funny because I also always had the same reservations about him as I do Juulsen, yet a lot of people tended to look past those concerns while significantly overvaluing his physical presence IMO.

Rule of thumb is Ds take 4 years to hit their potential, and the eye test kind of shows that to be pretty accurate. So he is starting year 2 of 4. And he didnt have a full season last year at the NHL level. So how does he look in that light ?

I think pretty good.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
I'd like to see if he can be our PP shooter. With Everett, the highlights seemed to show him in that role. He has a shot, unlike most of our D.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd like to see if he can be our PP shooter. With Everett, the highlights seemed to show him in that role. He has a shot, unlike most of our D.
Yeah, he used to play there, he's actually good in the offensive zone, good blue line patrol and great puck management plus his shot is a cannon. Obviously, they won't use him there because they are short sighted.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, he used to play there, he's actually good in the offensive zone, good blue line patrol and great puck management plus his shot is a cannon. Obviously, they won't use him there because they are short sighted.

None of those assets fit the plan.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The 21 year old has averaged just under 20 minutes a night (19:36) so far this season and has shown why he was a first round pick.

He's made mistakes, like any young player, but he's shown that he can play in this league. So far this season he looks like a legit top 4 D and has been really solid. I don't expect a lot of offense from him, but he could be the perfect partner for a more offensive minded D.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He won't be known for his offence, but he can move the puck and he has a hard shot.. those skills alone should allow him to put up respective offensive numbers in the future.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anybody who knew Juulsen and watch him prior to the NHL would not be surprised. He has always been used by his coaches in terms of reliability. He's been playing this style of game for a while now and his game projected well into a future NHL defenseman.

But wait, the Habs can't draft well and he was a projected bust or nothing special :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I'm just hoping that as his confidence builds with knowing he has secured his spot with sound defensive play , that he tries to engage more in offensive play. For sure this guy is a no.4 D and that has good value, but if he can reliably transition and put up some offence, then he is a top 3D and that fills a much more important role, and makes him much more valuable.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I was worried about him until seeing him play last year. He had a few injuries in junior but so far, he's looked amazing. Hopefully he stays healthy since we'll need him to be a huge part of our D going forward.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm just hoping that as his confidence builds with knowing he has secured his spot with sound defensive play , that he tries to engage more in offensive play. For sure this guy is a no.4 D and that has good value, but if he can reliably transition and put up some offence, then he is a top 3D and that fills a much more important role, and makes him much more valuable.
He does have the skill. Hes never going to put up big numbers because hes not that good in transition play, but his Ozone play is good enough to see him put up 30 or so.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's certainly made a number of mistakes but his physical game is which has always been a big part of his game, is needed on such a small team. That said I don't agree with those that say he doesn't have the offense, he put up 52 pts as a 17 year old. The next year his numbers took a major dip as their offense struggled and they went from the year before of having Scherbak put up over 80 pts and 5 guys with 23 or more goals, to having 1 guy put up more then 21 goals and 1 50 pt player. His last year he was at a .69 ppg which if he played the same number of games as his 17 year old season would be good for 47 pts while not having the same team offensively (no 80+ player, only 4 guys with 20+)

He's shown with his big shot and passing he can put up points, he's likely not going to be a big time producer but so far in the NHL he's just not been able to produce much over his 29 games as he's on pace for 11 to 12 pts over an 82 game season.

Reactions: savard95

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I think this kid is gonna eventually become a Stephane Quintal lite.A bit more skill but less penalties and fisticuffs. Nothing wrong with that at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad