Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
I usually hate advanced stats but so far for Juulsen they are.... interesting

6 games played
101.4mins on the ice at even strength
0 goals against at even strength(2 on the PK)
7 goals for at even strength
All this despite starting 58.5% of his shifts in the defensive zone.
Doesn't hinder the play, 105 shots for, 108 shots against while he's on the ice despite the previous stat of him starting most of his shifts in the D zone.

Sounds like the stats of a guy who's been in the league for a decade and knows how to shutdown the best players. Not a 21 years old rookie with 29 games of experience in the league.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Vestiaire.ca @Vestiaire

Héro obscure du CH... Noah Juulsen il est dans le top 5 de la LNH pour les mises en échecs et à égalité au 4e rang de la LNH pour les +/- avec un +7.... Good job @noahjuulsen

But hey I keep hearing on this board that he's not NHL ready.....
Nobody said that. People wanted to send him down so he can have an easier time offensively.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Vestiaire.ca @Vestiaire

Héro obscure du CH... Noah Juulsen il est dans le top 5 de la LNH pour les mises en échecs et à égalité au 4e rang de la LNH pour les +/- avec un +7.... Good job @noahjuulsen

We are all amateur’s so you have to take our “expert opinions” with a grain of salt

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He does have the skill. Hes never going to put up big numbers because hes not that good in transition play, but his Ozone play is good enough to see him put up 30 or so.

That would be really good, and acceptable 3D numbers. Would be great actually.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The ECHL should be great for that.

that's a little harsh, I know his offensive game was terrible in the AHL but he'd still be better off in the AHL then the ECHL.

What would be an easier time offensively? getting 20-25 pts in the AHL playing 22 minutes instead of getting 10-15 pts in the NHL playing 19 minutes?

It's not about points, hockey is mostly mental, you want to develop a players offensive game you do it by having them gain confidence by putting them in positions to succeed without having the pressure as they are still in the mid stages of development.

Right now he's played 29 games and is on pace for 11 points. No one knows what impact it would have on his confidence level if he doesn't produce much despite getting a lot of ice time. We don't know what he can do in the AHL because after such a terrible start where he had points in 1 game of his first 26, he put up 4 pts in 5 games so of course our great development plan would be to call him up the minute he started to string together a few games of offense. In no way am I saying that it won't work out for him as he's been one of our top prospects since he was drafted but to me it's a poor way to develop a player if you want him to reach max upside and not just be a solid NHLer. He was always going to be a solid NHLer because his defensive game is elite.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
that's a little harsh, I know his offensive game was terrible in the AHL but he'd still be better off in the AHL then the ECHL.

It's not about points, hockey is mostly mental, you want to develop a players offensive game you do it by having them gain confidence by putting them in positions to succeed without having the pressure as they are still in the mid stages of development.

Right now he's played 29 games and is on pace for 11 points. No one knows what impact it would have on his confidence level if he doesn't produce much despite getting a lot of ice time. We don't know what he can do in the AHL because after such a terrible start where he had points in 1 game of his first 26, he put up 4 pts in 5 games so of course our great development plan would be to call him up the minute he started to string together a few games of offense. In no way am I saying that it won't work out for him as he's been one of our top prospects since he was drafted but to me it's a poor way to develop a player if you want him to reach max upside and not just be a solid NHLer. He was always going to be a solid NHLer because his defensive game is elite.

This sound fair enough. Let's see what the future hold for this guy.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Vestiaire.ca @Vestiaire

Someone was arguing with me that Petry is better.. Juulsen is already are more complete D-Man if you actually watch them both, Juulsen makes less errors.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I usually hate advanced stats but so far for Juulsen they are.... interesting

6 games played
101.4mins on the ice at even strength
0 goals against at even strength(2 on the PK)
7 goals for at even strength
All this despite starting 58.5% of his shifts in the defensive zone.
Doesn't hinder the play, 105 shots for, 108 shots against while he's on the ice despite the previous stat of him starting most of his shifts in the D zone.

Sounds like the stats of a guy who's been in the league for a decade and knows how to shutdown the best players. Not a 21 years old rookie with 29 games of experience in the league.

Him and Reilly also have the highest QOC on the team. You wouldn't probably think a pairing of a 25yo offensive tweener dman and a 21yo rookie would be used in a shutdown role in the NHL, and excel at it, but that's exactly what's happening right now.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Someone was arguing with me that Petry is better.. Juulsen is already are more complete D-Man if you actually watch them both, Juulsen makes less errors.
Don't get me wrong I like Juulsen but he hasn't been scouted enough yet. Even I see a big hole in his game and I ain't no pro scout. He gets beat wide by speedy forwards all the time. I don't know if it's just foot speed, skating or he's slow pivoting but every game forwards are going wide on him and beating him three four times a game. Once the league clues in on this, they'll exploit it to the max.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Don't get me wrong I like Juulsen but he hasn't been scouted enough yet. Even I see a big hole in his game and I ain't no pro scout. He gets beat wide by speedy forwards all the time. I don't know if it's just foot speed, skating or he's slow pivoting but every game forwards are going wide on him and beating him three four times a game. Once the league clues in on this, they'll exploit it to the max.
I've noticed this as well, but I believe that aspect of his game will get better with NHL experience.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he's always had a knock on his skating, speed and mobility, they aren't bad but are more average to maybe slightly above average.

Reactions: Tyson

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sometimes the opponent deserves credit too...

Either way, i'm sure he's learning from these, the coaching staff seems a lot more engaged so I hope they've pointed this out to him and he'll adjust.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I was thinking about this this week... You know who this lad reminds me of..?

A young Shea Weber. Yep.

Tall, bulky, solid on his feet. Uses his body and good positionning to to contain the opponent. He's got poise. I honestly think we got a stud in Juulsen. He should use his shot more it's very underrated (though it's miles behind Weber who must have the hardest clapper in the league).

I'll say it again : 2015 is slowly becoming the best draft of all-time. 2003 and 1984 are in the competiton but in 15 years years I think it will be more clear-cut. I wish we wouldve added a first or at least a 2nd that year.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
he also has the only point from our blueline that isn't Petry/Reilly. So 5 of our 7 D's have combined for 1 pt.
I never really had expectations that Juulsen would be a point producer. Mete on the other hand has the talent to do so, but hasn't yet. Hopefully Brook pans out.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

In the meantime a guy like Tormina is Bobby Orr in the AHL yet can't crack the NHL line up.

Piling up a bunch of points against lower competition doesn't help someone improve. Its like building up your confidence for a University level calculus test by doing grade 1 math.

If there is something specific in his game then call it out. Does he take to long to shoot? Make bad passes? Needs a harder shot/learn to hit the net? These are things the AHL could help him with. But just thinking if he scores points in the AHL it means he will be a big point producer in the NHL doesn't work. AHL is littered with vets who dominate that can't translate their game to the NHL. Getting points against weaker goalies and slower players doesn't automatically mean that will translate to the NHL. If anything if he is realising that what he did against lower competition doesn't work and he needs to adapt his game to stay here that is better. We have seen guys being big scoerers in JR and then becoming defensive guys in the NHL because they realize their JR skills won't translate. Would rather Juulsen learn his limitations and how to play within them in the NHL then think he is Paul Coffey because he padded his stats against weaker competition.

Reactions: Belial and 417

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I never really had expectations that Juulsen would be a point producer. Mete on the other hand has the talent to do so, but hasn't yet. Hopefully Brook pans out.

but he has to produce some points, if he's going to be in the top 4, at least on a playoff level team imo. He has the shot and can move the puck, if you look at Fleury a lot of posters like him and yet at 17 Juulsen out produced Fleury's career high in points and that was at his age 19 season. Granted Juulsen played on much better teams for the most part.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
but he has to produce some points, if he's going to be in the top 4, at least on a playoff level team imo. He has the shot and can move the puck, if you look at Fleury a lot of posters like him and yet at 17 Juulsen out produced Fleury's career high in points and that was at his age 19 season. Granted Juulsen played on much better teams for the most part.
I see him as a Brian dumoulin type dman who is still a top 4 dman imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->