Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Don't get me wrong I like Juulsen but he hasn't been scouted enough yet. Even I see a big hole in his game and I ain't no pro scout. He gets beat wide by speedy forwards all the time. I don't know if it's just foot speed, skating or he's slow pivoting but every game forwards are going wide on him and beating him three four times a game. Once the league clues in on this, they'll exploit it to the max.

Yup. Juulsen is being a overrated on this board. I don't know if he's trained the wrong way and put too much weight but he actually looks a step slower than last year and is constantly behind the play. His hockey sense seems average and I'm not seeing the improvements I was hoping for this year. Not a bad player but when people call him "a stud", I think they're envisioning the sort of defensemen who would have thrived in 1998. But 2018 is a bad time to try to be a Brooks Orpik.

Not saying he's a bust or anything. Any player that develops at the NHL level is a success and there's tons of room for improvement. It's early in the season and I'd love to see him be paired consistently with Mete until the new year. Fortunately there is no hurry with this guy and there's no reason he can't develop into a rock solid D within the next two years. But he sure hasn't played like one so far.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Yup. Juulsen is being a overrated on this board. I don't know if he's trained the wrong way and put too much weight but he actually looks a step slower than last year and is constantly behind the play. His hockey sense seems average and I'm not seeing the improvements I was hoping for this year. Not a bad player but when people call him "a stud", I think they're envisioning the sort of defensemen who would have thrived in 1998. But 2018 is a bad time to try to be a Brooks Orpik.

Not saying he's a bust or anything. Any player that develops at the NHL level is a success and there's tons of room for improvement. It's early in the season and I'd love to see him be paired consistently with Mete until the new year. Fortunately there is no hurry with this guy and there's no reason he can't develop into a rock solid D within the next two years. But he sure hasn't played like one so far.

I may be hallucinating but I'm pretty sure I saw Juulsen (and Reilly) play a top 4 role at defense for the last 7 games and excelling at it...

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I may be hallucinating but I'm pretty sure I saw Juulsen (and Reilly) play a top 4 role at defense for the last 7 games and excelling at it...

He’s been pretty consistent. His D coverage, position and stick work are great. His first pass is above average. He just hasn’t put on much point and a lot of un-educated hockey fan will give him shit for that.

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal

Orpik can't skate, pass, break plays, make solid cross-ice passes, etc., like Juulsen does. He may not be the best offensively, but his passing and skating along with his rock solid defense is what make him such a good defenseman. New age "defensive" defenseman.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal

Yes, if you think he was excelling, you are indeed hallucinating. Defensively, he has problems keeping up with the speed at the NHL level and is often chasing behind the play. Offensively, he's a big zero. Doesn't mean he sucks or is a bust. But that's not "excelling". He's getting by.

Reilly is an entirely different story.

Reactions: Andrei79

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Yes, if you think he was excelling, you are indeed hallucinating. Defensively, he has problems keeping up with the speed at the NHL level and is often chasing behind the play. Offensively, he's a big zero. Doesn't mean he sucks or is a bust. But that's not "excelling". He's getting by.

Reilly is an entirely different story.
I dont see it. Maybe show me clips because I focus a lot on Juulsen when I watch the games and I saw him being very responsible defensively, taking good decisions without the puck, he's got a legit outlet pass, etc. Never saw him get flat out beaten. I just dont see what you see.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I know +/- is kind of a flawed stat, but Juulsen is leading the team by a significant margin at +9 already.

+/- gives a baseline to work with though, so at +9, we get some sense of his contributions. Most of his starts have been in the dZone this season, so being a +9 is not bad at all.

However, he had a rather mediocre game against Ottawa but ended up a +2. His PDO is ridiculously high, so puck luck is definitely on his side. I think he's been good overall this season, but let's give him the season and see how he looks.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Look at his CF and PDO though. Just tempering expectations.
The PDO certainly tells a story, but his CF is only a slight bit below his CA, so it's not really a big deal. Overall, Juulsen's play has really impressed me and I'm sure his numbers won't go totally downhill.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The PDO certainly tells a story, but his CF is only a slight bit below his CA, so it's not really a big deal. Overall, Juulsen's play has really impressed me and I'm sure his numbers won't go totally downhill.

Yeah, I think he’ll do fine ultimately. Even with the eye test, he’s been playing alright.

Reactions: Habs76

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

He is somewhat overrated in the sense that he's another player HF crowd has fallen in love with unconditionally and prefers not to notice his mistakes, but I think you're a bit harsh on Juulsen. Yes, he makes quite a few mistakes, but I think it's due to inexperience, combined with being cast into a role he's not yet ready to fulfill consistently. He's shown stretches of play when he's been very solid and I think his hockey sense will actually be one of his strenghts. Quite refreshing, really, after a myriad of Galchenyuks and Scherbaks making dumb decisions almost every shift. Also, I don't think his mobility will be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paddyjack

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi

Juulsen and Mete are just young. Need some seasoning in the AHL where they’d get the opportunity to play more and with less pressure. Time to develope. I think they are still waiver exempt and could be called up as needed.

Jul 6, 2016
Juulsen and Mete are just young. Need some seasoning in the AHL where they’d get the opportunity to play more and with less pressure. Time to develope. I think they are still waiver exempt and could be called up as needed.

The problem is that Habs seem to want to win as many games as possible this season and they need both of them badly. Unless you want to live with Alzner, Benn and eventually, Schlemko on a daily basis.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Apparently he got hit by Jack Eichel during the Buffalo game. I didn’t watch it. Anyone know about when it happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad