Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
never seen him do it, don't think Petry will be here when Juulsen is ready for the 2nd pairing.

You see Petry being traded or Juulsen taking 3 more years after this year to make the top 4D? I'm mixed on Juulsen. I know his value as a defensive defenseman but he lacks offense. If he is willing to move to the left side and he can effective as a defensive shutdown guy, I can see him being a good fit with Petry starting in the 2019-2020 season as a 22 year old.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You see Petry being traded or Juulsen taking 3 more years after this year to make the top 4D? I'm mixed on Juulsen. I know his value as a defensive defenseman but he lacks offense. If he is willing to move to the left side and he can effective as a defensive shutdown guy, I can see him being a good fit with Petry starting in the 2019-2020 season as a 22 year old.

Petry's NMC ends this season and his contract salary drops so at some point I could see him being traded. I hope they don't rush Juulsen, maybe a few games on the 3rd pairing next year and see where he's at from there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry's NMC ends this season and his contract salary drops so at some point I could see him being traded. I hope they don't rush Juulsen, maybe a few games on the 3rd pairing next year and see where he's at from there.

I don't think we can afford to trade Petry.... not if we want a reset or retool so we can be a better team in a year or two. Replacing Petry will not be easy and Juulsen will take years, like you said. That's why I thought they might be a good fit together when Juulsen is age 22/23... Petry's last 2 years of his current contract where he would be age 32/33

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I think Mete and Juulsen can be a good 2nd pairing in a few seasons from now but don't expect much offense from Juulsen. I think Petry stays our 2nd guy behind Weber until his contract runs out as we need him. Juulsen fills the 3rd spot maybe next year but won't be surprised he plays another year in the AHL. We have Benn and Schlemko as a good bridge for depth guys until Juulsen and maybe Lernout is ready.
Man, I'm having trouble keeping up with the slang from you youngins. Bad used to mean good and now good means rickety.

Reactions: Habs76

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
They are all age 23 and under and we need to stop throwing our prospects under the bus. They are all better than the negative perception that was put on them. The Habs can't develop card comes from the 2008-2011 draft years due to lack of top 100 picks. We should not be surprised that we only have Gallagher to show for it but it did suck to have a few 1st round busts in Leblanc and Tinordi and even Beaulieu to some extent. A middle 2 center and top 4D would of prevented us from overpaying for Alzner and DD/Pleky.

Our prospect pool is turning the corner. It takes time to recover
Who is putting any prospects under the bus? I didn't say they suck I just said none of them is elite nor do they have the potential to be one. They are all just decent prospects.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Even if a team is having a sell off, which we will not, it keeps decent vets because the young guys need them. So I would be shocked to see Petry traded. It's just not happening in my view.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think we can afford to trade Petry.... not if we want a reset or retool so we can be a better team in a year or two. Replacing Petry will not be easy and Juulsen will take years, like you said. That's why I thought they might be a good fit together when Juulsen is age 22/23... Petry's last 2 years of his current contract where he would be age 32/33

first I would like to see the Habs stop moving prospects/young players around. Put them in their best position to succeed. So I would keep him at RD although some don't have any trouble moving to their off-position, I just would like to see him stay at RD for now.

Now Petry is ok but overpaid, the Habs are one of the worst teams in the NHL so it's hard to see them turning it around any time soon unless Price goes back to his sub 2 gaa days, Weber is back to a 20 g scorer, Pac back to his 35 g, 65+ pts, Galchenyuk goes back to being a 30g, 60 pt player, etc.. So losing Petry wouldn't hurt much since we would just suck more then 5th worst or wherever we are in the standings. Now maybe they wait a year, since his final 2 years his salary drops to 4M so if the Habs eat some of that maybe they can get something decent for him.

Even if a team is having a sell off, which we will not, it keeps decent vets because the young guys need them. So I would be shocked to see Petry traded. It's just not happening in my view.

It's impossible to know what the Habs will do, I don't expect Molson to do anything, so I expect MB to be back, which means I don't expect too many changes to the coaching staff, development teams and scouts. Trades maybe if he gets a really good deal he'll move some guys. Petry I would trade since the Habs suck and aren't going anywhere unless a lot of things turnaround for the team. As for needing vets, Weber, Schlemko, Benn, Alzner, how many vets do you need?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
first I would like to see the Habs stop moving prospects/young players around. Put them in their best position to succeed. So I would keep him at RD although some don't have any trouble moving to their off-position, I just would like to see him stay at RD for now.

Now Petry is ok but overpaid, the Habs are one of the worst teams in the NHL so it's hard to see them turning it around any time soon unless Price goes back to his sub 2 gaa days, Weber is back to a 20 g scorer, Pac back to his 35 g, 65+ pts, Galchenyuk goes back to being a 30g, 60 pt player, etc.. So losing Petry wouldn't hurt much since we would just suck more then 5th worst or wherever we are in the standings. Now maybe they wait a year, since his final 2 years his salary drops to 4M so if the Habs eat some of that maybe they can get something decent for him.

I see the development of prospects differently. The idea is to surround these guys with good hockey people to learn from and to keep them working on certain parts of their game. I think it's not a bad idea to try them at certain positions and see how they react but they need to be ok with it and that comes down to good communication and foresight from the management. Look at a guy like Roslovic from the Jets. They were patient with him but played him both as a RW and a C and he now can play both positions. Look at Scherbak, we tried him at center and didn't work out. He's still a very good RW and he looks very good this season (finally). As far as Juulsen, development is on him and the strength to his game is to be a shutdown defenseman (I see his potential to be someone like Vlasic). It don't hurt to try him on the left side from time to time to see if he plays the same game or struggles. That's what development is all about... experiencing different things and seeing how your game is at the pro level in certain situations.

The problem in Montreal lately is two things... Our hunger for a Cup and how bad our draft picks were from 2008-2011. Those 4 years has set us back years in prospect development and we are only now starting to turn the corner... Lehkonen, Hudon, Scherbak, Mete, Juulsen will be good pieces for us moving forward. As far as DLR and McCarron... They are age 22 and have stalled a bit. Their year to year development is a concern but I'm not giving up on them till age 24 or 25 as they were always considered long term development type prospects. Quantity is the strength to our prospect pool... There will be a few more surprises. I was very disappointed to see Addison go down early and for most of the year. I wanted to see how his Junior game would transition in Laval this year.

As far as Petry, I rather keep him for the duration of his contract. By that point, we have Juulsen and Brook very NHL ready if not already. Petry is a big mobile body and does a lot of things right out there. We need him IMO... if we are doing a reset or retool vs a full rebuild.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I see the development of prospects differently. The idea is to surround these guys with good hockey people to learn from and to keep them working on certain parts of their game. I think it's not a bad idea to try them at certain positions and see how they react but they need to be ok with it and that comes down to good communication and foresight from the management. Look at a guy like Roslovic from the Jets. They were patient with him but played him both as a RW and a C and he now can play both positions. Look at Scherbak, we tried him at center and didn't work out. He's still a very good RW and he looks very good this season (finally). As far as Juulsen, development is on him and the strength to his game is to be a shutdown defenseman (I see his potential to be someone like Vlasic). It don't hurt to try him on the left side from time to time to see if he plays the same game or struggles. That's what development is all about... experiencing different things and seeing how your game is at the pro level in certain situations.

The problem in Montreal lately is two things... Our hunger for a Cup and how bad our draft picks were from 2008-2011. Those 4 years has set us back years in prospect development and we are only now starting to turn the corner... Lehkonen, Hudon, Scherbak, Mete, Juulsen will be good pieces for us moving forward. As far as DLR and McCarron... They are age 22 and have stalled a bit. Their year to year development is a concern but I'm not giving up on them till age 24 or 25 as they were always considered long term development type prospects. Quantity is the strength to our prospect pool... There will be a few more surprises. I was very disappointed to see Addison go down early and for most of the year. I wanted to see how his Junior game would transition in Laval this year.

As far as Petry, I rather keep him for the duration of his contract. By that point, we have Juulsen and Brook very NHL ready if not already. Petry is a big mobile body and does a lot of things right out there. We need him IMO... if we are doing a reset or retool vs a full rebuild.

Nice post. I think you have a good grasp of the path and sensible expectations. It would be really disappointing if McCarron never plays for us, but I haven't lost hope. He has looked better and better until this last stretch. Hopefully this is just a blip.

Juulsen might take a little while and will likely have some ups and downs also. I think we see those as bad, but maybe they are needed for players to work on specefic parts of their game and adjust to being a pro.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nice post. I think you have a good grasp of the path and sensible expectations. It would be really disappointing if McCarron never plays for us, but I haven't lost hope. He has looked better and better until this last stretch. Hopefully this is just a blip.

Juulsen might take a little while and will likely have some ups and downs also. I think we see those as bad, but maybe they are needed for players to work on specefic parts of their game and adjust to being a pro.

There is some concern with Sly and I agree with those who thought he should of been let go and we needed a new guy. Bringing him back was not a move I liked and I'm not a Sly hater. I just think Bergevin should of realized change was needed.

I remember people saying McCarron was a potential center for us but once he did not make the US team for the World Juniors as a 18 or 19 year old, I knew something was up. I had him pegged as a fringe center but definite RW guy. He has a bit to go yet and this season should be a wake-up call for him. He can still be a nice piece for us as he is a big body and brings toughness but time is running out. He's 23 next year and he needs to take the next step

Juulsen is very close IMO. I would give him a few games with the Habs this year to give him a taste of the NHL so he can work hard in the off season and also mentally prepare himself. Another year in Junior is likely but with a few NHL games here and there so both the player and management can measure his game. Doesn't hurt to give him the NHL salary for a few games too.

Reactions: WinterLion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

surrounding prospects with good hockey people is how you should do it but sometimes you can't. The Habs had the chance to have a great setup with Mete learning from Weber and Sergachev learning from Markov, that's how I would have done it and it would have put them in a great position to learn from.

But moving them to different positions i don't like but would look at it on a case by case basis. I hated them moving Scherbak to center, but I thought trying Hudon there might have worked. I didn't have a problem with McCarron moving to center either but most of the time i just prefer they stick with developing them in their natural position for comfort and the hope of getting the max potential out of them.

Petry I don't see them moving, but if the price were right I would do it since they have plenty of vets on defense as is. At the end of the day though it doesn't matter. This organization seems f***ed, they can't win or lose so doesn't matter what they do here until they fix the development, management of assets and to a lesser extent drafting.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It's a big if but if all of Mete, Jerabek, Juulsen, and yes Morrow (hey, he played well this weekend) make it, we're not at all in a bad situation on D.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Guys, Juulsen has 2 points in 26 games in the AHL. He's not even remotely close to NHL ready.

he could easily play in the NHL today and do fine. I'm not saying they should or that he's ready, just that he plays such a solid, safe defensive game that he would be ok if he was in the NHL right now. I hope they leave him there all year, maybe give him some games later into next season if he progresses. I just wouldn't look at points to say if he's NHL ready or not.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's a big if but if all of Mete, Jerabek, Juulsen, and yes Morrow (hey, he played well this weekend) make it, we're not at all in a bad situation on D.

I don't have high hopes for Morrow as he is similar to Beaulieu but we seem to have two good pieces in Mete and Jerabek for next year. Juulsen may need another year in the AHL but development and how ready he is next year is on him. Brook is another guy I have high hops for. We also have several other defenseman we drafted last year that are having decent seasons as 18 year olds.

The key to our D is how well they can defend and get the puck on the forwards stick when we try to exit the zone. Points are nice but team defense in front of Price is very important.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
he could easily play in the NHL today and do fine. I'm not saying they should or that he's ready, just that he plays such a solid, safe defensive game that he would be ok if he was in the NHL right now. I hope they leave him there all year, maybe give him some games later into next season if he progresses. I just wouldn't look at points to say if he's NHL ready or not.

He needs to develop some sort of offensive game to reach his full potential. It would help if his coach didn't put literal AHL lifers on prime PP minutes instead of him but I guess it's ok to mess up your organization's best D prospect if you're a fox hole buddy. If he's brought up now he'll never be more than a #6-7 D-man and there's tons of guys who can bring his defensive prowess to the table who already have NHL experience... The points indicate he's not being used properly/he's got no offensive confidence atm. I'm sorry, you can't be a Top4 Dman in today's NHL if you don't have some sort of offense to your game.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He needs to develop some sort of offensive game to reach his full potential. It would help if his coach didn't put literal AHL lifers on prime PP minutes instead of him but I guess it's ok to mess up your organization's best D prospect if you're a fox hole buddy. If he's brought up now he'll never be more than a #6-7 D-man and there's tons of guys who can bring his defensive prowess to the table who already have NHL experience... The points indicate he's not being used properly/he's got no offensive confidence atm. I'm sorry, you can't be a Top4 Dman in today's NHL if you don't have some sort of offense to your game.

yeah but there's a difference between being a top 4 D man and 'NHL ready' which is what you first stated.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yes he will need to develop his offensive game. He's got a big shot and can move the puck, but I'm not sure he'll ever be much of an offensive player which is why I think he's more of a 3rd pairing D that maybe ends up a 2nd pairing D if things go well for him. But you said he was far from NHL ready and that's not really true imo. This organization needs to stop rushing it's prospects so hopefully they learn from past mistakes but I doubt it.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
yes he will need to develop his offensive game. He's got a big shot and can move the puck, but I'm not sure he'll ever be much of an offensive player which is why I think he's more of a 3rd pairing D that maybe ends up a 2nd pairing D if things go well for him. But you said he was far from NHL ready and that's not really true imo. This organization needs to stop rushing it's prospects so hopefully they learn from past mistakes but I doubt it.

really eh? You don't think he can be the reliable stay at home guy on a 2nd pairing? That's pretty disheartening.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Guys, Juulsen has 2 points in 26 games in the AHL. He's not even remotely close to NHL ready.
Defensemen who don't score much generally lack moving the puck well. Just common sense, if you move the puck well going to create a few scoring chances here and there. At least a few.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
really eh? You don't think he can be the reliable stay at home guy on a 2nd pairing? That's pretty disheartening.

It's too early to really say, I watch them each year and try and look at how they improve on their weaknesses. I don't think he has a lot of offensive upside, but is a safe bet to be a solid NHLer. So for me he's a 3rd pairing D that might be able to play on the 2nd pairing. He's picked up points in 1 game so far this year, that's very concerning. That said he's very impressive in his own end and I've always liked his physical game.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
If you are measuring Juulsen with how many points he gets, you don't know what kind of defenseman he is.

This is the AHL sweetie. Usually, defensemen who end up making it to the NHL in purely defensive roles can put up decent offensive production down there, even in their rookie year. At this level it's a matter of skill, you know.

Juulsen is in Colton Teubert, Tyler Cuma, Jarred Tinordi, Dylan Olsen, Duncan Siemens, etc territory. 2 pts in 26 games is absolutely alarming.

Defensemen who don't score much generally lack moving the puck well. Just common sense, if you move the puck well going to create a few scoring chances here and there. At least a few.

These kinds of things. If you can defend in the NHL, you need good decision making, having the sense of where to be on the ice at the right time, gap control, get the puck up the ice fast enough, win 1 on 1 battles, cut passing lanes with your stick. In the AHL, these skills put up points on the board. In the NHL, they might earn you a job, but if you didn't have that extra step in the AHL to begin with, I'm worried.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad