Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Juulsen last night with 2 assists in Everett's 5-1 win over Tri-City Americans. But a little more difficult tonight stats-wise with a -2 in tonight's 3-2 win over Portland Winterhawks.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Juulsen last night with 2 assists in Everett's 5-1 win over Tri-City Americans. But a little more difficult tonight stats-wise with a -2 in tonight's 3-2 win over Portland Winterhawks.

what a crazy game, they lost 4-3 but Everett had the game in hand as they were up 3-1 until late in the 3rd when they gave up a shorthanded goal (Juulsen was a minus on the play but had nothing to do with him) Then they tied it up and then with 13 seconds left they scored on a turnover. Place went nuts. I didn't see the 1st 2 periods since I was watching the Habs, but in the 3rd I thought Juulsen played a solid game, had a nice hit as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wonder what Juulsen chances are making the Habs roster next year as a 20 year old. He does play a reliable game that is something NHL coaches look for first. I suspect he plays in the AHL but I think this kid pushes for a spot faster than we think. OR is traded to address a team need (Center)!

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Are posters complaining that Juulsen isn't another Larry Robinson? He may not be a superstar but he displayed enough talent to be a late first round pick.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder what Juulsen chances are making the Habs roster next year as a 20 year old. He does play a reliable game that is something NHL coaches look for first. I suspect he plays in the AHL but I think this kid pushes for a spot faster than we think. OR is traded to address a team need (Center)!

perhaps he'll see some games if injuries hit since management seems to like to rush prospects to the NHL. Plus with the way he plays, a safe, smart game if he can adjust to the NHL speed he might do well enough if injuries hit our blueline hard. But hopefully he spends the year in the AHL if there's a new coaching staff.

Jul 6, 2016
Are posters complaining that Juulsen isn't another Larry Robinson? He may not be a superstar but he displayed enough talent to be a late first round pick.

If he can replace Petry down the road, I would already be very satisfied.

And he's here to stay. Unless he makes the Habs out of camp, he will go to Laval next year. No more Juniors for Juulsen. I am super excited for this guy, I'm a big fan of his.

Him, Bourque and Lernout- and Sergachev, of course, should be with the big club down the road.

Maybe, drafting centers and skilled wingers/snipers should be a priority now for the Habs ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Him, Bourque and Lernout- and Sergachev, of course, should be with the big club down the road.

Maybe, drafting centers and skilled wingers/snipers should be a priority now for the Habs ?

Don't forget Mete also down the road. I'm liking the goaltending and defence prospect pool. And I agree about focusing on centers and wingers.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia

If Lefebvre and co. remain in Laval, send him straight to the Habs imo

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
If Lefebvre and co. remain in Laval, send him straight to the Habs imo

I feel the same way, Juulsen is the last person I want to see playing for Lefebvre. Trying the old jump to pro hockey with a categorically worse coach..

The Bruins always seemed to have Juulsen type players when Julien was there, so let's hope that continues.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
perhaps he'll see some games if injuries hit since management seems to like to rush prospects to the NHL. Plus with the way he plays, a safe, smart game if he can adjust to the NHL speed he might do well enough if injuries hit our blueline hard. But hopefully he spends the year in the AHL if there's a new coaching staff.

Unless he falls off in development, he's on the team after 1 or 2 years in the AHL. I suspect he plays in the AHL all year next year but something tells me this kid is going to surprise us. He lacks offensive skills but makes up for it in the defense game. I was impressed with his decision making with Team Canada Juniors this year.

I wonder how a team like the Avs value a guy like Juulsen. If they do, The Habs have a legit shot at Duchene. If they don't, Duchene is not going to be a Habs. No way Sergachev is traded for a guy who can become UFA after 2 seasons.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Let him simmer down in the AHL.. he displayed good offense in his draft year but has since been more of a defensive defenseman. Probably under direction of our player development staff.

Good shot, good first pass, adequate puck skills, physical. If he's developed properly, which as we know is a big if, he could top out as a #3-4.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Unless he falls off in development, he's on the team after 1 or 2 years in the AHL. I suspect he plays in the AHL all year next year but something tells me this kid is going to surprise us. He lacks offensive skills but makes up for it in the defense game. I was impressed with his decision making with Team Canada Juniors this year.

I wonder how a team like the Avs value a guy like Juulsen. If they do, The Habs have a legit shot at Duchene. If they don't, Duchene is not going to be a Habs. No way Sergachev is traded for a guy who can become UFA after 2 seasons.

We'll see how it goes for him, I would hope he spends a full year in the AHL and if things go well, then see some NHL games and then the following season be a full timer. But it's so hard to project how a prospect will translate from juniors to AHL and then NHL. Juulsen is a safe bet to be an NHLer because he's smart and hard working while having a good physical and defensive game. Can't wait to see what he can bring to Laval full time next year.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I feel the same way, Juulsen is the last person I want to see playing for Lefebvre. Trying the old jump to pro hockey with a categorically worse coach..

The Bruins always seemed to have Juulsen type players when Julien was there, so let's hope that continues.

That's what I was thinking in particular actually. I feel like Julien would be a good coach for him.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Petry's terrible, I hope replacing him is a worst case scenario for him. I like Juulsen though, but I'm afraid his skills and his skating, which I know isn't that bad, are going to limit him.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Petry's terrible, I hope replacing him is a worst case scenario for him. I like Juulsen though, but I'm afraid his skills and his skating, which I know isn't that bad, are going to limit him.

From what I saw at the WJC, and I think that's a fair assessment given the ice time he got, I developed a pretty big hockey crush, at least at the prospect level. Last time that happened was watching Gallagher at the WJC.

I have a good feeling about him. Most importantly, he has great hockey sense, and he knows how to position himself. I don't think he needs to be the PK version of a D-man. I'm perfectly fine with him playing the equivalent of what he did when he gets to the NHL.

As I've posted before, I've seen Macavoy and the whole BU team often, and I can say with conviction that based on that assessment, I really like what I see from Juulsen. Of course, time will tell. We didn't think that much of McDo either until he was gone. I mean, I def thought he was gonna be very very good, but he ended up surpassing the "medium skill/skating" barrier.

Problem is we need him developed yesterday.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
We didn't think that much of McDo either until he was gone. I mean, I def thought he was gonna be very very good, but he ended up surpassing the "medium skill/skating" barrier.

Problem is we need him developed yesterday.

Not sure what are you taking about. I've always seen Mcdonagh skating like a force and one of the main reason why people like him even before his draft. True Mclovin fans were not discouraged until his trade.

For Juulsen, Im not hot like many here. His better PPG season was in his draft eligibility year. Defensive system or not, he should be able to put somes numbers. I thought he would be better after the WJC this year and he wasnt. His playoffs numbers were easily expected. He's a good prospect, but not an awesome one. You can sign free agents with similar package. He gets NHL stuff, but he's actually more bottom pair stuff certitude than top 4 in the making. One thing im pretty sure about him is that he cannot reach his top potential fast. He becomes a project like others before.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not sure what are you taking about. I've always seen Mcdonagh skating like a force and one of the main reason why people like him even before his draft. True Mclovin fans were not discouraged until his trade.

For Juulsen, Im not hot like many here. His better PPG season was in his draft eligibility year. Defensive system or not, he should be able to put somes numbers. I thought he would be better after the WJC this year and he wasnt. His playoffs numbers were easily expected. He's a good prospect, but not an awesome one. You can sign free agents with similar package. He gets NHL stuff, but he's actually more bottom pair stuff certitude than top 4 in the making. One thing im pretty sure about him is that he cannot reach his top potential fast. He becomes a project like others before.

He was also named to the all-star team both of his post-draft year, so I guess he did something good despite producing less (also to consider the offensive strength of Scherbak/Nikolishin vs Laurencelle/Stadnyk vs Bajkov/Zwerger).

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Juulsen is a 26th overall pick who was ranked in the 2nd by most. What more do you expect, him to be one of the best, if not the best, D-man in his league this year?

he was..........................

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Juulsen is a 26th overall pick who was ranked in the 2nd by most. What more do you expect, him to be one of the best, if not the best, D-man in his league this year?

he was..........................

He's an allstars team member and he diserves it but telling is the best OHL dman would be too much homer statement.

I would want to see significant adds to his offensive and physical game in general, ajustements at high speed. Juulsen has same background than a Brent Seabrook but seems to struggle to elevate to superiors levels. I still like his ceiling but I wouldnt put all my eggs in him and would listen offers for immediate help

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He's an allstars team member and he diserves it but telling is the best OHL dman would be too much homer statement.

I would want to see significant adds to his offensive and physical game in general, ajustements at high speed. Juulsen has same background than a Brent Seabrook but seems to struggle to elevate to superiors levels. I still like his ceiling but I wouldnt put all my eggs in him and would listen offers for immediate help

Juulsen played in the WHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad