Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah it's easy to overlook Juulsen, but every time I see him play he just plays a simple solid game and moves the puck well. He is never been a sexy prospect, but I think he might help us out a lot pretty soon.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Having Weber, Petry and Juulsen as natural RD's all playing their proper side will be very solid in a few years I think.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Petry's NMC is up after this season so he can be traded at some point. Juulsen has been impressive in the games i've seen and that's with him shaking off the rust as he hasn't been as physical as I would have expected since it's a good part of his game. He's also got that big shot I suspect he will start to use more.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think Juulsen will make Petry expendable. As of July 1st, 2018, he lists 15 teams he doesn't want to be traded to, which should make him easier to be moved. And I believe teams will be willing to acquire him, especially with only 3 years left on his deal after this season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Juulsen will make Petry expendable. As of July 1st, 2018, he lists 15 teams he doesn't want to be traded to, which should make him easier to be moved. And I believe teams will be willing to acquire him, especially with only 3 years left on his deal after this season.

I've brought this up in another thread but worth repeating, while his cap hit remains high, his salary dropped from 7M to 6M this year and next year drops to 5M, then 4M, and 4M. So teams with a lot of cap space but internal salary limits might be interested especially if the Habs kick in some money to up the return.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Petry's NMC is up after this season so he can be traded at some point. Juulsen has been impressive in the games i've seen and that's with him shaking off the rust as he hasn't been as physical as I would have expected since it's a good part of his game. He's also got that big shot I suspect he will start to use more.
Sadly, I bet they trade Juulsen and continue on this path of depleting blueline prospects for 'veteran' players.

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
the
Sadly, I bet they trade Juulsen and continue on this path of depleting blueline prospects for 'veteran' players.
y need to trade some veterans for picks and prospects while they have value

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lehkonen: Likely going back over seas. Did not end up true

Hudon: Likely a bust. Did not end up true

Mete: Way to early.. hold your horses. He might not end up an NHL player. Did not end up true

Scherbak: Likely a bust. We will see about that very soon

DLR: Nothing special. Blah, blah, blah

McCarron:
Same as DLR. We will see about that very soon

Juulsen: Might be the next Tinordi? I call BS but hey, we have to wait to find out

Notice a trend here?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So I saw this wrote up by Eric Engels where he lists our top 5 prospects.

Juulsen was in there and I read how he was " on a steady trajectory to be a solid no.5 D man ".

I felt underwhelmed. Engels opinion, but still.

Then I thought how I have hoped he could be a no.4. Wait. I am hoping for a no.4 ? You know, the non offensive guy on a 2nd pair for most teams.

Hopefully he is at least a Calvin De Haan type player.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Pretty sure he will end up at least a solid number 4.
His defensive game is excellent. That alone should make him more than just a bottom pairing defenseman.

Hes also a good skater, physical, and has more offense than his ahl stats suggests.

I see Benn as a 5th D. I definitely believe Juulsen will be better than Benn.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
So I saw this wrote up by Eric Engels where he lists our top 5 prospects.

Juulsen was in there and I read how he was " on a steady trajectory to be a solid no.5 D man ".

I felt underwhelmed. Engels opinion, but still.

Then I thought how I have hoped he could be a no.4. Wait. I am hoping for a no.4 ? You know, the non offensive guy on a 2nd pair for most teams.

Hopefully he is at least a Calvin De Haan type player.

If a dman can play a really good defensive game, without contributing any offense, but controlling the play a la Bob Gainey, I'm fine with that. Seth Jones is a good offensive dman. But what impressed me most is how he's all over the ice and controls the play. If a dman can do that, without bringing any offense, I'm all for having dmen like that.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If a dman can play a really good defensive game, without contributing any offense, but controlling the play a la Bob Gainey, I'm fine with that. Seth Jones is a good offensive dman. But what impressed me most is how he's all over the ice and controls the play. If a dman can do that, without bringing any offense, I'm all for having dmen like that.

What you are describing to me is a player who kills the other team's offensive opportunities , is able to transition the team to offense by pass or by carrying the puck

What you are describing is a guy who kills other team's offensive plays in the D zone and a guy who through passes or carrying the puck transitions the team to the offense. Plays a solid defensive game

To me that is a 3D. By doing all that stuff a player is going to generate 25-35 points and that is 3D production.

If Juulsen can do that, then I am very happy.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

Mete: Way to early.. hold your horses. He might not end up an NHL player. Did not end up true

McCarron:

Juulsen: Might be the next Tinordi? I call BS but hey, we have to wait to find out

Notice a trend here?
Yes, not one of them is elite. They are all just very decent players.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013

McCarron:

Notice a trend here?
Lehkonen is the real deal, on a normal non dysfunctional team he would rack up a lot of points.

Also Hudon is as far as a bust as you can get.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Wouldn't worry too much about the lack of hitting right now.

I remember Komisarek coming up and initially he didn't hit either. Reason was he focused on positioning and hitting can take you out of position. As he got used to the NHL his hitting game came. I imagine it's the same for Juulsen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, not one of them is elite. They are all just very decent players.

They are all age 23 and under and we need to stop throwing our prospects under the bus. They are all better than the negative perception that was put on them. The Habs can't develop card comes from the 2008-2011 draft years due to lack of top 100 picks. We should not be surprised that we only have Gallagher to show for it but it did suck to have a few 1st round busts in Leblanc and Tinordi and even Beaulieu to some extent. A middle 2 center and top 4D would of prevented us from overpaying for Alzner and DD/Pleky.

Our prospect pool is turning the corner. It takes time to recover

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Mete and Juulsen can be a good 2nd pairing in a few seasons from now but don't expect much offense from Juulsen. I think Petry stays our 2nd guy behind Weber until his contract runs out as we need him. Juulsen fills the 3rd spot maybe next year but won't be surprised he plays another year in the AHL. We have Benn and Schlemko as a good bridge for depth guys until Juulsen and maybe Lernout is ready.

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal

McCarron:

Notice a trend here?
Have any of them made an impact yet?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Can Juulsen play the left side? I think he may be a good fit with Petry if he can play his off side. Personally, I think we need Petry and he stays for the rest of his contract till age 33.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Have any of them made an impact yet?

It's too early. Most prospects like these guys make an impact at age 24 or 25. None of these guys are blue chip prospects but they will fill important holes in our line-up but not all of them will be part of the team for several years. At some point we need to decide who we keep and who we part ways with. The development is on them to perform when given opportunity.

Were not talking about top 10 or top 15 picks here. Were talking about 2nd tier prospects where we may have a surprise here and there. We have a lot of them and some will surprise us, some will disappoint.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Can Juulsen play the left side? I think he may be a good fit with Petry if he can play his off side. Personally, I think we need Petry and he stays for the rest of his contract till age 33.

never seen him do it, don't think Petry will be here when Juulsen is ready for the 2nd pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad