Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
If Lefebvre and co. remain in Laval, send him straight to the Habs imo

I feel the same way, Juulsen is the last person I want to see playing for Lefebvre. Trying the old jump to pro hockey with a categorically worse coach..

The Bruins always seemed to have Juulsen type players when Julien was there, so let's hope that continues.

I'm wondering if Europe is an option for him. In the AHL, he probably cements himself as a 5/6D who can kill penalties but, in the NHL, he stagnates while being rotated in and out of the lineup. I trust Julien, not completely, but for the time being I expect to see him work a little more with Galchenyuk, McCarron and, if he's still around, Beaulieu next season. The problem is I also trust that MB will still be the GM of this team, likely until the end of the 2017/18 season at least, and that man changes depth players at the out set of every season... not the hockey season... like, Fall, Winter and Spring...

At best, he's in a rotation and not playing regularly and that's assuming he would at least be near ready to make the jump in the first place.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I'm wondering if Europe is an option for him. In the AHL, he probably cements himself as a 5/6D who can kill penalties but, in the NHL, he stagnates while being rotated in and out of the lineup. I trust Julien, not completely, but for the time being I expect to see him work a little more with Galchenyuk, McCarron and, if he's still around, Beaulieu next season. The problem is I also trust that MB will still be the GM of this team, likely until the end of the 2017/18 season at least, and that man changes depth players at the out set of every season... not the hockey season... like, Fall, Winter and Spring...

At best, he's in a rotation and not playing regularly and that's assuming he would at least be near ready to make the jump in the first place.

I thought NA prospects playing in Europe would be a more common thing after Matthews did it. I think it would be a good option.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's an allstars team member and he diserves it but telling is the best OHL dman would be too much homer statement.

I would want to see significant adds to his offensive and physical game in general, ajustements at high speed. Juulsen has same background than a Brent Seabrook but seems to struggle to elevate to superiors levels. I still like his ceiling but I wouldnt put all my eggs in him and would listen offers for immediate help

I haven't seen enough of him but I think for a more critical view on him this is a pretty fair assessment. He seems strong as hell and looked to have improved all around but the speed could still be a bit of a hurdle. If he's going to be a top 4 anyways. he's definitely not a bad skater though. i saw the last game period of the gold medal match and he looked solid as a rock. i liked what i saw but he was keeping it pretty simple. I think some people might be overrating him a bit though I think he has a pretty high ceiling I don't think he's a lock to hit it. And I mean a high ceiling for where he was drafted and the type of game he plays. He COULD partner on a top pairing if the other guy was a COMPLETE stud but not necessarily a #2 D man. I think Petry potential wise not style wise. While not being a lock to being a top pairing guy I do think he's a solid bet to be an NHLer. 2nd pairing is fairly likely but not written in stone.

If he could be packaged for a bonafide top 6er then you have to do it imo.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I thought NA prospects playing in Europe would be a more common thing after Matthews did it. I think it would be a good option.

During the last GM meeting, some people from the Swedish league came to make a presentation to the GMs and the NHL. Their goal is to convince the managers to send their prospects to the SHL instead of the AHL. They gave examples of young prospects who, instead of going to the minors in North America, chose to play in the pro leagues in Europe against men and it helped in their development.

Matthews is a great example (but he's a 1st Overall so chances were he'd be successful regardless, but you can't discount his pro experience in Europe). Lehkonen is proof right under the Habs' nose. I personally felt that Martin Reway would be ahead of others because he played in the Czech and Swiss top leagues against men. In fact last year before he was out with a concussion in the Swiss league, Reway was on a similar PPG pace as Matthews.

It's a very intriguing concept. And if I'm the Canadiens, I try to be a little innovative and affiliate an SHL team to the Habs and then send some (not all) of their prospects there.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
During the last GM meeting, some people from the Swedish league came to make a presentation to the GMs and the NHL. Their goal is to convince the managers to send their prospects to the SHL instead of the AHL. They gave examples of young prospects who, instead of going to the minors in North America, chose to play in the pro leagues in Europe against men and it helped in their development.

Matthews is a great example (but he's a 1st Overall so chances were he'd be successful regardless, but you can't discount his pro experience in Europe). Lehkonen is proof right under the Habs' nose. I personally felt that Martin Reway would be ahead of others because he played in the Czech and Swiss top leagues against men. In fact last year before he was out with a concussion in the Swiss league, Reway was on a similar PPG pace as Matthews.

It's a very intriguing concept. And if I'm the Canadiens, I try to be a little innovative and affiliate an SHL team to the Habs and then send some (not all) of their prospects there.

Perhaps Finland as well. They play on a smaller ice surface and the style of hockey is a bit more similar to the north american style comapred to the SHL.

It's an intruiging idea. The exceptional prospects don't get stuck in the CHL/AHL gap, get to make a little money, see the world, play a more relaxed schedule in a better development environment (certainly compared to our farm club).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Perhaps Finland as well. They play on a smaller ice surface and the style of hockey is a bit more similar to the north american style comapred to the SHL.

It's an intruiging idea. The exceptional prospects don't get stuck in the CHL/AHL gap, get to make a little money, see the world, play a more relaxed schedule in a better development environment (certainly compared to our farm club).

Koivu is in a management role in Finland for the team he played for before coming to the NHL (TPS). I see a link there. I would try to use that.

And the Finns do have a reputation to be the Europeans who play the most similar to North American hockey.

But I see the NHL nix that because the AHL and the CHL will surely take exception to that.

I think if Sergachev doesn't crack the Habs line up, I'd look to send him to Europe instead of back to Juniors.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Koivu is in a management role in Finland for the team he played for before coming to the NHL (TPS). I see a link there. I would try to use that.

And the Finns do have a reputation to be the Europeans who play the most similar to North American hockey.

But I see the NHL nix that because the AHL and the CHL will surely take exception to that.

I think if Sergachev doesn't crack the Habs line up, I'd look to send him to Europe instead of back to Juniors.

The CHL probably would, you're right. But it'd take them a while to get their ducks in a row and implement a new rule. I say to hell with them and put our prospects where they'll develop the best.

TPS would be good. Tappara or Kärpät would be even better. They're the two premiere clubs and have the prospect development know-how that I feel is lacking in our farm. Not sure how our prospects would feel about winter in Oulu though :laugh: .

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The CHL probably would, you're right. But it'd take them a while to get their ducks in a row and implement a new rule. I say to hell with them and put our prospects where they'll develop the best.

TPS would be good. Tappara or Kärpät would be even better. They're the two premiere clubs and have the prospect development know-how that I feel is lacking in our farm. Not sure how our prospects would feel about winter in Oulu though :laugh: .

It will build character. :sarcasm:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Europe is generally considered slightly worse then the AHL. So it's not a good option for Juulsen.

Going to Europe could makes sense for Junior aged players who aren't going to be challenged enough in the CHL. But I would imagine teams/players are worried that there is too much of an adjustment period, and after a year/two the guy has to readjust to NA style/ice surface. So there's less incentive.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Clearly he's one of our best prospects and has a very good shot at being a solid NHLer. I'd like to see him get quicker but there's not much I don't like about his game. Can't wait to see how he does in Laval.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Europe is generally considered slightly worse then the AHL. So it's not a good option for Juulsen.

Going to Europe could makes sense for Junior aged players who aren't going to be challenged enough in the CHL. But I would imagine teams/players are worried that there is too much of an adjustment period, and after a year/two the guy has to readjust to NA style/ice surface. So there's less incentive.

I agree but I meant it would be a good option because he avoids Lefebvre that way.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Excited about this guy. A rock defensively and likes to hit. Hopefully his offense takes off a bit but I'm sure he'll be effective in the NHL some day.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Excited about this guy. A rock defensively and likes to hit. Hopefully his offense takes off a bit but I'm sure he'll be effective in the NHL some day.

His transition game is quite polished at this point. He'll never put up big point totals or be much of a powerplay presence but he's gotten very good at distributing the puck. He'll be a 25-ish points guy , which for a second pairing D is fine.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Which player in the league could be a good comparison for juulsen? A guy like travis hamonic or kevin bieksa could be right?

I see juulensen as a top 4. He has the size. a professionnal atttitude..

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Which player in the league could be a good comparison for juulsen? A guy like travis hamonic or kevin bieksa could be right?

I see juulensen as a top 4. He has the size. a professionnal atttitude..

Well, it might be a homer comparison, but I see a lot of Petry in him. RHD, with a good shape that play a steady game in his own zone and can move the puck out properly, without being a top pairing DMan. From what I've seen from him, he has a good shot at becoming a top4.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well, it might be a homer comparison, but I see a lot of Petry in him. RHD, with a good shape that play a steady game in his own zone and can move the puck out properly, without being a top pairing DMan. From what I've seen from him, he has a good shot at becoming a top4.

If developed properly. He should be a second pairing D man.

Jul 6, 2016

He's a bit more agressive and physical than Petry. Could be a good #3 or #4 down the road. Might replace Benn next year on the bottom pairing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

don't see Petry, Juulsen doesn't have his skating/mobility/speed. His game is about defensive play, physical play and a big point shot. If he gets quicker he could be a top 4 D but if not he stands a very good chance of being a bottom pairing D.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Don't see it at all. Petry is a puck carrier with good speed and mobility. Juulsen's game is about positional awareness, excellent on ice vision, good hockey IQ and strength.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
How has he been playing in Laval since his come back ?

I've only seen him once, looked good but since he's more on the defensive side of the game (and still trying to find his beat), he's not that noticeable out there. Still, to give you an idea:

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've only seen him once, looked good but since he's more on the defensive side of the game (and still trying to find his beat), he's not that noticeable out there. Still, to give you an idea:

Interesting. I think Juulsen is a solid prospect. I would pencil him in on the bottom pairing with Alzner starting next year potentially

Mete / Weber
Jerabek / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'll add:

That's very good (with the caveat that the Rocket D is pretty bad).

Reactions: DaNaultinus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad