Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yup. Juulsen is being a overrated on this board. I don't know if he's trained the wrong way and put too much weight but he actually looks a step slower than last year and is constantly behind the play. His hockey sense seems average and I'm not seeing the improvements I was hoping for this year. Not a bad player but when people call him "a stud", I think they're envisioning the sort of defensemen who would have thrived in 1998. But 2018 is a bad time to try to be a Brooks Orpik.

Not saying he's a bust or anything. Any player that develops at the NHL level is a success and there's tons of room for improvement. It's early in the season and I'd love to see him be paired consistently with Mete until the new year. Fortunately there is no hurry with this guy and there's no reason he can't develop into a rock solid D within the next two years. But he sure hasn't played like one so far.

I'm looking at him as a possible very solid , mobile no.4D man who puts up about 10- 15 points. That's not a problem as long as he is paired with a 3D who can do about 30 points. Then you have your top pairing. Would be great if he can produce more, early days yet, but that's not a bad floor.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Apparently he got hit by Jack Eichel during the Buffalo game. I didn’t watch it. Anyone know about when it happened?

I saw the hit, I didn't know who hit him though because I watch the game without sounds since my kids watch Paw Patrol on the other screen. It was not that big a hit but he was a bit badly positioned, and when he was back to the bench I saw him rolling/shrugging his shoulder so it did hurt.

Reactions: Bacchus1

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I always saw an offensive upside with him but he came to the league as an defensive d, oh well he plays amazing at it which is totally fine, Fleury could step in in couple seasons to get top pair offensive

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'm looking at him as a possible very solid , mobile no.4D man who puts up about 10- 15 points. That's not a problem as long as he is paired with a 3D who can do about 30 points. Then you have your top pairing. Would be great if he can produce more, early days yet, but that's not a bad floor.
A 10-15 point d-man who isn't excellent defensively or physically is useless and should be sold off before his value plummets. He is replacement-level and those players can be found on the waiver-wire or anywhere, really. If he's only going to be a 10-15 point d-man, it's a terrible draft pick.

Thankfully he has some time to develop but it's not looking too hot.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
A 10-15 point d-man who isn't excellent defensively or physically is useless and should be sold off before his value plummets. He is replacement-level and those players can be found on the waiver-wire or anywhere, really. If he's only going to be a 10-15 point d-man, it's a terrible draft pick.

Sadly management/MB doesn't have the foresight to pull off a move like this (especially when it comes to young players), he basically waits until it's too late and they lose all value.

i.e: Tinordi, Beaulieu, Scherbak, McCarron

Juulsen will be a serviceable NHL'er (unlike the players listed above) but i don't think he'll become anything more than a #4 dman in the league. Right now he could definitely be moved for a return that out-values his upside as a player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Juulsen has been one of the very best defensive player in every league he has played. His underlying numbers always compare to guys like Bergeron, defensively, theres no way Juulsen isnt worth anything. Where is this coming from? Do people forget he is 21?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He is starting to struggle, don’t want to mess up his confidence

The whole D is struggling , everyone is playing way too high up in the line-up.
Rielly has looked mediocre at times , Mete has been fairly quiet , not to mention but I think Juulsen may have comeback too early from his injury.(This is 100% my own speculation)
We really need Weber back to bring some balance, Petry shouldn't be playing nearly 30 minutes a night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Juulsen has been one of the very best defensive player in every league he has played. His underlying numbers always compare to guys like Bergeron, defensively, theres no way Juulsen isnt worth anything. Where is this coming from? Do people forget he is 21?
I know he's young and can develop but he is very bad at playmaking and in the NHL today you can't be a strictly defensive dman unless you're an exceptional one. Juulsen is not an exception NHL defensive dman.

Do you reckon he will be?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I know he's young and can develop but he is very bad at playmaking and in the NHL today you can't be a strictly defensive dman unless you're an exceptional one. Juulsen is not an exception NHL defensive dman.

Bad at playmaking...how so?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Needs to stop sliding on the ice so much...takes himself out of the play all the time.

But hey, this is all part of learning/development.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

He's bad at playmaking ? He makes the safe plays, thats for sure, but hella worse players have carved a career in the NHL. His shot is always a threat, and he's a force on the offensive blueline because of his lateral mobility.

I think you're getting confused here, you think he's a finished product, you think he will not get better, which is weird, since we all know that defenders take longer to develop. Mete and him are far from finished products, even though theyre in the NHL.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Love the physicality that he brings, and he still hasn't filled out, he's only 193lbs right now (RDS said that yesterday), can really see him to at least 210lbs, he has the frame for that.

But like some said, he's struggling a bit with the speed right now, and I hope that if he keep struggling, that he's sent back in the AHL (along with Mete, who's also struggling)

Bring back Kulak and Lernout, like @mariolemieux66 said, Mete and Juulsen are redeemable and young enough to develop some more, Kulak and Lernout can perhaps do the job in the meantime. (Weber and Schlemko are due to come back soon too)

I don't want rushed kids anymore.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Love the physicality that he brings, and he still hasn't filled out, he's only 193lbs right now (RDS said that yesterday), can really see him to at least 210lbs, he has the frame for that.

But like some said, he's struggling a bit with the speed right now, and I hope that if he keep struggling, that he's sent back in the AHL (along with Mete, who's also struggling)

Bring back Kulak and Lernout, like @mariolemieux66 said, Mete and Juulsen are redeemable and young enough to develop some more, Kulak and Lernout can perhaps do the job in the meantime. (Weber and Schlemko are due to come back soon too)

I really don't see the struggles people have been hinting at for the two kids... I mean, yeah, Juulsen pinched for a hit at the wrong time, but thats on experience. The rest is just regular defensive breakdown from the team and inexperience too.

Mete should really be in the AHL though, that's for sure. Juulsen hasn't been playing bad enough to send him down, he's holding his head way above water, Rielly and him have been our best defenders night in and night out.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I'm ok with Kulak but not Lernout ... he is struggling right now in the AHL .. wait until Schlemko come back or put Alzner but not Lernout

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'm ok with Kulak but not Lernout ... he is struggling right now in the AHL .. wait until Schlemko come back or put Alzner but not Lernout
We got physically bullied last night apparently and we also lost the game. Mete isn't helping putting points on the board and isnt helping defensively much, Juulsen hasn't adapted to the NHL speed yet and they are both waiver eligible. It's Lernout last chance, give it to him and aim for a high first round pick this year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We got physically bullied last night apparently and we also lost the game. Mete isn't helping putting points on the board and isnt helping defensively much, Juulsen hasn't adapted to the NHL speed yet and they are both waiver eligible. It's Lernout last chance, give it to him and aim for a high first round pick this year.

Sending down Juulsen means he has to play over Fleury, which means Fleury isn't getting the same opportunities as he is now. There's a clear spot on the RD 2nd pairing for Juulsen and there's a clear spot for Fleury in the AHL. The wise thing to do is leave Juulsen on the 2nd pairing all year and leave Fleury on the first pairing all year, Mete can, and probably should go down though.

Reactions: mariolemieux66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad