Value of: Noah Hanifin for a 2nd line RHS RW

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hanifin is the new Brodie in Calgary; the whipping boy for absolutely no reason.

yeah we could use a RW but trading a #2D for a right wing just hurts our offense more than it helps because Hanifin is the key possession guy on our team

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Potential team USA d man for a guy who barely got a contract. Makes sense

I suggest u watch his goal against the leafs. That was a skill goal with speed not many nhl players can do. He is a former 30 goal scorer To suggest he barely has a contract is laughable at best.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I suggest u watch his goal against the leafs. That was a skill goal with speed not many nhl players can do. He is a former 30 goal scorer To suggest he barely has a contract is laughable at best.

whats laughable is suggesting a player like Athanasiou is worth a young top pair D on a sweetheart contract for 3 more years

try Turcotte, Byfield, Clarke types to get the Flames to even consider the proposal

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
whats laughable is suggesting a player like Athanasiou is worth a young top pair D on a sweetheart contract for 3 more years

try Turcotte, Byfield, Clarke types to get the Flames to even consider the proposal
Whats laughable is the fact you think I thought he was worth him. No one offers there top offer off the hop. Its called trade talks not offer accept. There is a feeling out process with any trades

Jun 27, 2005
PP2 has literally only scored 2 goals this year, 1 of them was assisted by Hanifin.

He is also +9, 37th league wide in CF%, 15th in the league in GF%, 48th in SF%, 58th in xGF%, 12th in GF/60, 33rd in GA/60, 14th in SF/60, 15th in CF/60, 95th in CA/60, and 24th in xGF/60. Oh and this is out of 217 defensemen that have played at least 50 minutes this season.

You do not have to be putting up points to be really effective

This is exactly why you don't use Corsi stats for individuals. Hanafin happens to be 15th out of 22 on his team for GF% and 5th on defence. And yes, my usage is just as useless.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
does something around hanifin + pitlick <> toffoli + kulak works for the habs?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is exactly why you don't use Corsi stats for individuals. Hanafin happens to be 15th out of 22 on his team for GF% and 5th on defence. And yes, my usage is just as useless.

Not sure where you found this stat.
Hanifin and Andersson are 1 and 2 in GF% on the Flames defence.
They're both running over 75% 5 on 5.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hanifin is the new Brodie in Calgary; the whipping boy for absolutely no reason.

yeah we could use a RW but trading a #2D for a right wing just hurts our offense more than it helps because Hanifin is the key possession guy on our team

And Bouwmeester before him.
I honestly think most of the guys who dislike him aren't even old enough to remember Bouwmeester in Calgary :laugh:

Calgary has finally loaded up their D with the right coach, and we're looking to subtract already.
Calgary needs another centre, another legit top 6 centre, and we're fine.

Trading an under 25 year old, 22 minute a night, net positive defenceman, who is under a sweetheart for 3 more years, is peak Flames.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Toffoli is a value contract for 3 years. A 1st is a starting point, not a max point. You would say the same thing about Backlund if you were in a selling mode and wanted futures. Toffoli as a pending UFA rental at the deadline is a 1st and grade B.

And Valimaki would not be a target of mine as a Habs fan. Don't hate him but he is not a team need for the Habs.
The Habs should be rebuilding, particularly if they are trading Toffoli. The fact you are looking at team needs and not potential shows that you're not assessing this properly.

And no, I don't think Backlund is worth more than a 1st. Sorry, 30ish year old forwards are not worth more, unless they are top tier.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs should be rebuilding, particularly if they are trading Toffoli. The fact you are looking at team needs and not potential shows that you're not assessing this properly.

And no, I don't think Backlund is worth more than a 1st. Sorry, 30ish year old forwards are not worth more, unless they are top tier.

You don't understand the Habs depth at LD in our pool. Adding another one does nothing for us but clutter one area of depth.

Many people saying the Habs should rebuild but not many considering the amount of contracts with term we have to move. Can you show me a past example where teams traded contracts like that (with term) in lets say a 2 year period? I've asked this several times over several threads and dead silence on replies. I wonder why :sarcasm:. Challenge accepted? Come on... there has to be some who want to go on a witch hunt right?

Toffoli as a pending UFA is worth a 1st. But he is not a pending UFA and he is on a value contract. We disagree on his value

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
does something around hanifin + pitlick <> toffoli + kulak works for the habs?

I'd consider that.

Another deal if you were willing to trade a future 1st with top 10 protection is both Toffoli and Chiarot for Hanifin and a 1st. Habs can add a 2021 3rd to help your up coming draft and take a 2023 1st if you wish.

I think both Toffoli and Chiarot make your team more battle ready for the playoffs. I'm sure others have noticed the physical game Chiarot has and he skates very well. Not going to get much offense from him but he's very solid in his own end and cause some trouble for other teams forwards in front of the net and along the walls. Toffoli helps the shot power and goal totals. Not going to drive offense by himself but you have centers for him to work with no doubt.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Pretty well the same numbers as my source. What is one of us missing here?

upload_2021-11-10_10-4-44.png

I have no idea. Here's sorted by GF%

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You are using GF% I'm using CF%. I was talking about how useless Corsi stats were for individuals.

I mean, yeah, because you wrote:
Hanafin happens to be 15th out of 22 on his team for GF% and 5th on defence

That's copy and pasted from your comment. You may have slipped a finger, I get it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So Hanifin, 2nd and 3rd for Strome (UFA after this season, might not re-sign), Hajek, and two 4th's?

Awful, really awful for Flames. Downgrade Hanifin for Hajek, downgrade two picks, and add UFA. No thanks.

Strome fits the bill and has added value as a pivot
Agree he could be risk to not extend but amenable to you talking w/him first so there is immediate extension 5 seconds before you get him, as we have seen in other deals.

As to Hajek, he is a good buy low candidate essentially being thrown in for free so you have at least stopgap as you lose Hani.

As to the picks, yes a downgrade, but that is 2 picks this yr in a good deep draft for picks that are next yr

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Strome fits the bill and has added value as a pivot
Agree he could be risk to not extend but amenable to you talking w/him first so there is immediate extension 5 seconds before you get him, as we have seen in other deals.

As to Hajek, he is a good buy low candidate essentially being thrown in for free so you have at least stopgap as you lose Hani.

As to the picks, yes a downgrade, but that is 2 picks this yr in a good deep draft for picks that are next yr

UFA, stopgap and downgrading picks is not good value for Hanifin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad