Value of: Noah Hanifin for a 2nd line RHS RW

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Is there a trade there to be had? Hanifin's development has hit a brick wall despite ample opportunity to grow while the Flames have a glaring hole in their RW depth

Reactions: Dertell

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Lol what? Hanifin has quite clearly been one of Calgary's best defense this year. He has become an excellent 2-way dman. Do you even watch the games?
You're replying to a fellow Flames fan aren't you? Pretty sure he watches the games.

That said, I agree with you... and I have always been somewhat of a Hanifin skeptic. I always thought his offensive skills would blossom first but even to this day they have not come, at least consistently. But he has learned to use his skating ability to his advantage defensively and is now one of the better defensive d-men in the league. I've compared him to prime Jay Bo for a long time now, and he is finally starting to surpass that.

Reactions: guzzy

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
You're replying to a fellow Flames fan aren't you? Pretty sure he watches the games.

That said, I agree with you... and I have always been somewhat of a Hanifin skeptic. I always thought his offensive skills would blossom first but even to this day they have not come, at least consistently. But he has learned to use his skating ability to his advantage defensively and is now one of the better defensive d-men in the league. I've compared him to prime Jay Bo for a long time now, and he is finally starting to surpass that.
But with Rasmus Andersson and Chris Tanev in the top-4, I'm not sure we need another defensive Dman in the fold there. And we really lack a scoring touch from our right-wingers

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
But with Rasmus Andersson and Chris Tanev in the top-4, I'm not sure we need another defensive Dman in the fold there. And we really lack a scoring touch from our right-wingers
Andersson is solid offensively.

The Flames defence is very well balanced right now. It's kylington that needs to come into his own offensively, not Hanifin though. And removing Hanifin will mean a top four of Tanev, Andersson, Kylington, and....Gudbranson? That's no bueno. The Flames need Hanifin. The top six is fine. They just hit a bunch of posts tonight and lost a tight game to the sharks.

Reactions: Dan403

Ledge And Dairy

2-way Dman? He has 3 points despite a bunch of time with the top line at even strength and PP2 time
PP2 has literally only scored 2 goals this year, 1 of them was assisted by Hanifin.

He is also +9, 37th league wide in CF%, 15th in the league in GF%, 48th in SF%, 58th in xGF%, 12th in GF/60, 33rd in GA/60, 14th in SF/60, 15th in CF/60, 95th in CA/60, and 24th in xGF/60. Oh and this is out of 217 defensemen that have played at least 50 minutes this season.

You do not have to be putting up points to be really effective

Ledge And Dairy

This is such a dumb way of looking at things. "Man I hate having the best 5v5 goals against in the entire league, I think we should gut that that to improve our scoring from 8th best to 7th best."

If Calgary needs a winger they can continue to accrue cap space then pick one up at the deadline. People's obsession with what way a winger holds their stick in this day and age blows my mind

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
This is such a dumb way of looking at things. "Man I hate having the best 5v5 goals against in the entire league, I think we should gut that that to improve our scoring from 8th best to 7th best."

If Calgary needs a winger they can continue to accrue cap space then pick one up at the deadline. People's obsession with what way a winger holds their stick in this day and age blows my mind

It's not dumb to favour offense over defense, though. THere is a mountain of evidence that offense is simply more valuable in this sport.

Anyways, on the topic of Hanifin, he's not a bad player.

But when you've had TJ Brodie, Mark Giordano, Chris Tanev, and Oliver Kylington in your organization, calling Hanifin a "defensive defenseman" seems a bit of a stretch because his defensive play pales next to them.

Reactions: cheechoo

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Valimaki for Toffoli? If Montreal is going to rebuild could be a good move for them.

I think CGY needs to add, Valimaki is a former 1st rounder but from what I have seen and read four years after his draft he is still a bottom pair D right now. Toffoli is off to a slow start but he he still is a 25 goal scorer on a 82 game basis.

Ledge And Dairy

It's not dumb to favour offense over defense, though. THere is a mountain of evidence that offense is simply more valuable in this sport.

Anyways, on the topic of Hanifin, he's not a bad player.

But when you've had TJ Brodie, Mark Giordano, Chris Tanev, and Oliver Kylington in your organization, calling Hanifin a "defensive defenseman" seems a bit of a stretch because his defensive play pales next to them.
Thank you for your as usual incredible input OKG. I never called Hanifin a defensive defenseman though, I said "He has become an excellent 2-way dman."

I also think of Oliver Kylington when looking at the best shutdown defense to play the NHL as well

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Would any of Kempe, Kupari, or Vilardi be of interest in a package? Kings need a LHD in Hanifin’s age range. I could see Anderson moved as the defenseman going to CGY in the package.

I think Iafallo would fit Sutter hockey like a glove, but I think we value him higher than the Flames would in a deal.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Are you people nuts?
Remove Hanifin and our top LH dman is Kylington, ridiculous.
I'd love to have Toffoli but he's the kind of player you trade picks or prospects for, not top 4 dmen.
Let's trade for a RW that decimates our blueline, Derp!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad