How would you rank the Dmen? (2024 Draft)

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Parekh/Yakemchuk (interchangeable for me)
Solberg

Freij
Appreciate the response, is there a chance Solberg sneaks into the top10 in your opinion? He seems to be rising, and is showing that he has pretty high potential. Freij seems to be rising as well.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Appreciate the response, is there a chance Solberg sneaks into the top10 in your opinion? He seems to be rising, and is showing that he has pretty high potential. Freij seems to be rising as well.
Hard to say, but definitely possible if unlikely. I think that if anyone is this year’s Tom Willander (ranked in the 20’s pre-draft but ends up going almost top-10), it’s Solberg. A 6’2” two-way defenseman having success against men is basically catnip to GMs.

Currently I think Yakemchuk and Parekh will go in the 8-12 range, Solberg in the 14-18 range, and Freij in the 25-35 range. But who knows, the former two could slip and the latter two could rise. Or someone could bite on Yakemchuk/Parekh top-5. Will be one of the fascinating stories of the draft. For the record, I’d have Jiricek and Emery ranked in between Solberg (my #7 defenseman) and Freij (somewhere around my #10 defenseman).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've only seen a couple games each from Yakemchuk, Solberg, and Freij, and about 10-15 games of Parekh.

Yakemchuk is by far my favorite choice of these four. His poor defensive pivots are the one thing I worry about with him, it's a similar issue with David Jiricek who is still struggling with it. But the offensive upside with Yakemchuk is the highest in the class in my opinion, and I think he can be a really tough defender in his zone as well, very strong and boxes out a big area. All superlatives with this guy, he's definitely top 10 for me, maybe as high as #5.

Then I've got a gap down to Parekh closer to #15. His offensive ability puts him above the Merkley type one-way D we've seen bust in the past. He's that damn good. But his D game is weak and most of all I think there is a lot of bust risk from injury. He doesn't have an athletic posture on his skates, meaning he stands too high and doesn't project strength up from his feet, so when he gets hit he just goes flying.

The games I watched of Freij he wasn't super involved. But on that skating alone I'd take him around #20.

Stian Solberg supposedly has a breakout performance now at the Worlds but I haven't seen him there. Just based on the games I watched at the U20s I don't think he's a guy I'd have interest in before pick #50. He hits hard but his defense was bad. He can shoot but he wasn't creating and was making poor decisions under pressure. So I'm curious what he's put together at the men's World Championships.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I think the scouts will end up on a consensus;

Parekh
Yakemchuk
Solberg

Freij

Not really sure why Freij and Parekh are being compared. Itd be better to compare guys Freij will be drafted around like Badinka, Elick, and Hutson

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Parekh and Yak are RHD, which makes them more valuable right from the hop. I can see some teams picking Solberg over Parekh. None picking Freij over him. Parekh might have flaws, but that offensive game can't be ignored completely. GM's passing on him will be wondering if they are passing on the next EK.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
10 Parekh
13 Yakemchuk
22 Solberg
25 Freij

These rankings are far from final.

I'm learning that you can't win with fans no matter where you rank Parekh.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Roughly....

Levshunov
Buium
Dickinson
Silayev

Emery
Parekh (7-15 range)
Jiricek

Yakemchuk (10-20 range)