Confirmed with Link: Noah Hanifin @ 75% (via Flyers) traded to Vegas for Cond. 2025 1st, Daniil Miromanov, conditional 2025 3rd Round pick

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I wasn't expecting an elite centre prospect in return, but I was hoping for literally any center prospect of any calibre as part of the returns for Toffoli, Zadorov, Lindholm, Tanev, and Hanifin.

And the best Conroy could do was get a winger who can sort of play center. Maybe.

Oh and then 4 defensive prospects, one of whom won't be qualified and the other being a 26 year old tweener.

Like, the Flyers managed to get Tippet and a 1st in exchange for a rental Giroux who wielded his NMC to make sure he went to the Panthers. Conroy's just really really bad at this whole trading thing.

I'm not really a fan of any of the prospects/players that the Flames targeted but at this point it really doesn't matter IMO. We're more or less in the same position the Flames were in 2013. What's more important is drafting enough and making those picks count.

I don't think it's of any consequence long term if we ended up with a future 3C this deadline.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm shocked by the negativity in here. We all know Hanifin is not a 1D, but I guess with the hype around his status in the trade market a bunch of us have forgotten.

As a rental he got more than Bouwmeester (1 year left) and more than rental Iggy.

The further away the first is, the higher it is likely to be.

It's a first, likely a second and an intriguing young defenceman for a guy that everyone on this board has acknowledged is not someone who seems reliable when the chips are down.

I'll be the first to admit that I got carried away with the speculation thinking someone was going to back up the truck for him because of a bidding war, but at what point are we going to stop and remember what Hanifin actually is?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm not really a fan of any of the prospects/players that the Flames targeted but at this point it really doesn't matter IMO. We're more or less in the same position the Flames were in 2013. What's more important is drafting enough and making those picks count.

I don't think it's of any consequence long term if we ended up with a future 3C this deadline.
We’re in such a strange spot. 2013 vibes yes but it’s also different we have some huge deals we are only at the very beginning of in Kadri, Huberdeau, Weegar.

This is either a plus or a minus depending on your perspective but it’s certainly going to make for an interesting offseason.

I have a strong suspicion we won’t actually make many of these picks.

Reactions: Bert Mckrakken

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As I saw pointed out on the main board, the general standard for top defensemen at the deadline is a 1st and 2nd. We got a 1st and a 3rd, plus a player Conroy thought enough of to already extend.

Maybe the problem with this deal is us and our unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
We’re in such a strange spot. 2013 vibes yes but it’s also different we have some huge deals we are only at the very beginning of in Kadri, Huberdeau, Weegar.

This is either a plus or a minus depending on your perspective but it’s certainly going to make for an interesting offseason.

Yeah its different in that we have long term pieces on the roster but I think it's the same in that we really only have a few future pieces and that the position that need to be filled for us to contend are nowhere to be seen.

Huberdeau and Kadri are sticking around long term but that's only because they're signed long term. If they were UFA's they'd be gone at the deadline too.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Am I the only one excited about the opportunity for an unprotected 2026 1st round pick from Vegas? Vegas has 8 players on their entire roster signed to start that season, that is a long time in the current NHL landscape and for the McKenna draft no less who is currently doing Bedard things in the WHL. Here’s hoping Vegas adds Guentzel as well and we just get an unmitigated shot at it from the get go.

For all the Miramanov hate, he’s younger than Kylington with less NHL games, and better seasons in the AHL. Hasn’t gotten his chance yet due to injuries, but had a promising start with Vegas last season. Could be a guy who flourishes given a constant role.

Reactions: Fig and Rubi

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm shocked by the negativity in here. We all know Hanifin is not a 1D, but I guess with the hype around his status in the trade market a bunch of us have forgotten.

As a rental he got more than Bouwmeester (1 year left) and more than rental Iggy.

The further away the first is, the higher it is likely to be.

It's a first, likely a second and an intriguing young defenceman for a guy that everyone on this board has acknowledged is not someone who seems reliable when the chips are down.

I'll be the first to admit that I got carried away with the speculation thinking someone was going to back up the truck for him because of a bidding war, but at what point are we going to stop and remember what Hanifin actually is?
I just said more or less the same thing, but you said it better.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
As I saw pointed out on the main board, the general standard for top defensemen at the deadline is a 1st and 2nd. We got a 1st and a 3rd, plus a player Conroy thought enough of to already extend.

Maybe the problem with this deal is us and our unrealistic expectations.

I think this is true.
I'm guilty of it haha

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah its different in that we have long term pieces on the roster but I think it's the same in that we really only have a few future pieces and that the position that need to be filled for us to contend are nowhere to be seen.

Huberdeau and Kadri are sticking around long term but that's only because they're signed long term. If they were UFA's they'd be gone at the deadline too.
Yeah it’s going to take us drafting those guys like last time. Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk. Long road ahead.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

In 2013 we had quite a bit of time left with Gio, Brodie, Backs and probably some others I'm forgetting. Stajan? Frolik?

Around 2015 I always felt like that made a huge difference in our ability to get out of the cellar so much more efficiently than Edmonton. The core of Monahan and Gaudreau would've been unable to get off the ground without those vets. Would've been a Buffalo/Edmonton situation where after five years most of them would be traded and only a few would remain as veterans for the next wave of rebuild.

Reactions: Fig

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I for one, was prepared to be underwhelmed. I never did buy into all this "wait until the TDL and get ready for the great offers" bullshit some of you were pedaling. I'm ok with what we got.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
In 2013 we had quite a bit of time left with Gio, Brodie, Backs and probably some others I'm forgetting. Stajan? Frolik?

Around 2015 I always felt like that made a huge difference in our ability to get out of the cellar so much more efficiently than Edmonton. The core of Monahan and Gaudreau would've been unable to get off the ground without those vets. Would've been a Buffalo/Edmonton situation where after five years most of them would be traded and only a few would remain as veterans for the next wave of rebuild.
Yes, I agree you never want to burn it to the ground entirely if you can avoid it. Lest you become like Edmonton or Buffalo.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
How soon until guys like Kadri and Coleman want out? Maybe after Markstrom is moved. I think Weegar will stay. Obviously Hubie stays.

We'll see what other moves we make between now and the start of next season.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Wish we could’ve done better. This isn’t much better than the Adam Henrique return. First Connie trade I’m disappointed with, but I get it, we had no leverage.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
tbh they should have been asking for 2026 picks unprotected all the way through. That McKenna looks like the real deal. Man what would it feel like to have a generational player on our team for once?

Maybe we luck out the Oilers and get a player for our new arena

Reactions: flames23

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think this is true.
I'm guilty of it haha
I usually stay pretty even keeled but I got carried away this time too.

Looking back at deals involving pending UFA defensemen and 1st round picks near the deadline...
  • Sean Walker got a 1st, but Philly ate RyJo's contract (4m for an additional year)
  • Dmitri Orlov (and Hathaway) returned a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a nothing prospect
  • Hampus Lindholm returned a 1st and 2 2nds, but Anaheim ate a multi-year cap dump
  • Ben Chiarot returned a 1st, 4th and nothing prospect
  • David Savard returned a 1st and 3rd
  • Kevin Shattenkirk returned a 1st, Conditional 2nd (they got nothing), Zach Sanford (who was a B prospect at the time) and Brad Malone (was in the AHL and a pending UFA)
So that's going back to 2017...

I think it's safe to say this return ain't so shitty and we are the problem with too high of expectations.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Wish we could’ve done better. This isn’t much better than the Adam Henrique return. First Connie trade I’m disappointed with, but I get it, we had no leverage.
It's... significantly better than the return for Henrique, Carrick and a 7th, which all went to Edmonton in that deal. That they both had a 1st is the only similarity.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Can't really compare forwards to defensemen, different market.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I'm not a conspiracy guy but this really makes me believe that his agent really was running his mouth to teams about not re-signing. Flames should 100% have this looked into and see if they can cost his agent his license.

Meh Vegas like Tampa is going to get worse in teh next couple years. A 2026 pick is hardly the worst thing in the world.
I come in peace and I hope Miromanov really shines for the Flames.

I mean this is pretty much what happened with MAF and why Vegas copped so much flack for him finding out the way he did was to stop Walsh saying to Chicago he'd retire if he was traded there. Of course we then completely dropped the ball after the fact, but the intent was to stop his agent sabotaging the trade.

Reactions: Fig

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Can't really compare forwards to defensemen, different market.
Sean walker then. Yes they took on a one year cap dump, but hanifin is quite a bit better too as a player.

If the flames get a legit prospect back I think this is solid. But this trade is pretty much a first, a (likely) second and an ahl filler player who might do okay as a bottom 2 dman. Again, there were signals the return was going to be disappointing, but it would’ve really been nice to get a centre prospect back at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad