Confirmed with Link: Noah Hanifin @ 75% (via Flyers) traded to Vegas for Cond. 2025 1st, Daniil Miromanov, conditional 2025 3rd Round pick

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It’s complete bullshit to make a trade in place with no extension, thereby driving down his trade value for the acquiring team, then signing him to said extension after the trade is completed.

You’re telling me that if Hanifin was traded to Vegas with an extension in place we couldn’t have gotten more?
It's not bullshit at all. If the club trades for him without an extension worked out, they are taking the chance that he might want to just test free agency. If the selling team gets the sense or knows that the player will extend, they can set their price accordingly. What the price is that they will accept is entirely up to them. GMs having different prices for different teams is absolutely nothing new.

It's a free market. There isn't anything here that should be against any kind of rules.

And besides, it isn't like Vegas having Hanifin locked up is some kind of cheat code. We have had Hanifin for several years. He's a good defenceman. He isn't a star. If they don't sign him they'll just find someone else.

Reactions: super6646

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
It's not bullshit at all. If the club trades for him without an extension worked out, they are taking the chance that he might want to just test free agency. If the selling team gets the sense or knows that the player will extend, they can set their price accordingly. What the price is that they will accept is entirely up to them. GMs having different prices for different teams is absolutely nothing new.

It's a free market. There isn't anything here that should be against any kind of rules.

And besides, it isn't like Vegas having Hanifin locked up is some kind of cheat code. We have had Hanifin for several years. He's a good defenceman. He isn't a star. If they don't sign him they'll just find someone else.

I would not be surprised if Brisson was in Vegas' ear before the trade. I don't buy for a second that they waited until after the trade to see if Hanifin wanted to extend.

It's a moot point anyways. The deal is done now, now only if ownership could stop meddling...

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Eric Duhatschek: This is a consequential but ultimately not that complicated trade that took eons to conclude on Wednesday before the teams could get the financial machinations in order. But let’s begin by looking at the player first, before we assess the return, because the return for Calgary — which traded Hanifin to their slumping divisional rivals, Vegas — was objectively underwhelming.

But that was mostly a function of Hanifin and what he wants going forward. The Flames and Hanifin engaged multiple times on contract extension talks throughout the season and, even nearing the 11th hour, the Flames made a push to get him to stay in Calgary, reportedly offering a maximum term (eight years) and dollars above the $7.5 million range — generous, but maybe not what the market would dictate for a player who, at the age of 27, is arguably in the midst of the best individual season of his career. It was clear that Hanifin was, for the longest time, of two minds about what he wanted to do. To paraphrase The Clash, Hanifin spent all season wrestling with the question: Should he stay (in Calgary) or should he go?

For the longest time, Hanifin wasn’t sure. As Hanifin was deciding, the Flames explored the market for him and found there were typically two types of potential trades on the table. The first was for a more generous package of players and draft choices, if Hanifin were signed to a contract extension. The second was for Hanifin as a rental, for a player planning to test free agency on July 1. The compensation that teams were prepared to offer for Hanifin dropped considerably in Scenario No. 2. So that reality hung over the entire trade process — and even if there was no immediate announcement of an extension as part of the trade, it stands to reason that Vegas believes it can coax Hanifin into being part of the team’s future in the long term.

Golden Knights grade: A
Flames grade: C
Flyers grade: B

Thank you Hanifin for saving the Flames from themselves

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Given this information^

There’s a lesson here for Conroy after Gaudreau and Hanifin. Sign your players before training camp, stop tabling offers afterwards, and prepare to move them.

Enabling players and their agents in the final year of their contracts can’t be allowed anymore. Especially not for Americans who should be considered flight risks when they can start preparing to cash in on a UFA deal. The run-around of not discussing mid-season extensions or being torn between two sides like in Hanifin’s case leaves the org hanging.

I can’t be mad at a player willing to exercise their right to line-up the best possible UFA deal but Calgary needs to stop thinking they’re top of the list when the clock starts ticking with 12 months to go.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Given this information^

There’s a lesson here for Conroy after Gaudreau and Hanifin. Sign your players before training camp, stop tabling offers afterwards, and prepare to move them.
If Conroy did that, we wouldn't have gotten what we did for Lindholm, Tanev or Hanifin, the trade market last summer was absurdly terrible

Reactions: Haatley and Fig

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm confused about the usage of the phrase "objectively underwhelming." This implies that there is some form of data available that makes the return less than market value based on collective comparison. Everything presented in this thread seems opposed to that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm confused about the usage of the phrase "objectively underwhelming." This implies that there is some form of data available that makes the return less than market value based on collective comparison. Everything presented in this thread seems opposed to that.
it's even worse because he goes on to say it's not Conroy's fault because Hanifin was unwilling to sign an extension. I usually like Duha, but objectively, that was a very poor statement

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
So the media is telling us Conroy got dealt shit hand after shit hand and then the media shits on him for not getting better returns. What the f*** do these muppets expect when they're the ones leaking all the shit that Conroy has to deal with?

If Hanifin and his agent just shut up, the Flames get a better offer. You are a UFA after this year dickhead you can pick your team then, giving the Flames a list of 2 teams you will be willing to go to in a trade is such a bitch move.

Like realistically speaking Hanifin was worth multiple 1sts + prospects, but if no one is willing to pay that how is that a negative on Conroy? Is he supposed to just tell people to make the deal? If no one is going to cough up a 1st for Tanev unless we also take on $4 mil coming back, why is that a bad thing?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly could not care less about what pundits say. The majority of them now are dudes who’ve never played the game and are new age hot take posters.

Flames X is horrible too. Just a bunch of opinionated teenagers and wannabe insiders. Some are so cringe it hurts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly could not care less about what pundits say. The majority of them now are dudes who’ve never played the game and are new age hot take posters.

Flames X is horrible too. Just a bunch of opinionated teenagers and wannabe insiders. Some are so cringe it hurts.
C'mon, even you are better than that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Officially a Vegas 2026 1st with absolutely no protections on it. Here’s hoping for a complete collapse in the coming years.

Like an LTIR laden season that gets out of control?

I don't wish for players to get hurt, but if that happens and they win big in the draft lottery... Yay.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

I don't wish for players to get hurt, but if that happens and they win big in the draft lottery... Yay.
Honestly don’t even have to hope for injuries. This offseason they already have 77 million of the cap used for 14 players, with Marchessault and Stephenson both having their contracts up among smaller names (as well as deadline acquisitions Hanifin and Manyha obviously). The year after, both of their goalies and Shea Theodore’s contracts are up. The Vegas team of 2025-26 will have had to make a lot of sacrifices and could be a very different team than this years version

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I think the best we can hope for is missing the playoffs. They have about $15m to fill out their roster with 17 bodies (counting Lehner's LTIR space)

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly don’t even have to hope for injuries. This offseason they already have 77 million of the cap used for 14 players, with Marchessault and Stephenson both having their contracts up among smaller names (as well as deadline acquisitions Hanifin and Manyha obviously). The year after, both of their goalies and Shea Theodore’s contracts are up. The Vegas team of 2025-26 will have had to make a lot of sacrifices and could be a very different team than this years version
It's 17 players, cap friendly doesn't include injured players in the roster count, so none of Stone, Hertl or Howden are counted. But the salaries of injured players are included, so they have another 5m to work with including Lehner's LTIR

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
It's 17 players, cap friendly doesn't include injured players in the roster count, so none of Stone, Hertl or Howden are counted. But the salaries of injured players are included, so they have another 5m to work with including Lehner's LTIR
TIL, thanks for that. Everytime I feel like I’ve gotten pretty great at navigating capfriendly something like that pops up.

Point still stands, an unprotected 1st that far out is a lotto ticket, with a lot that can change just year over year for the average team let alone an older one like Vegas.
Pietro will be 36, Stone 33, and Hertl 32. For the same reason I was hoping we’d trade with Boston for their future 1st, Vegas could be a great gamble with an old, expensive roster and barren cupboards.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
TIL, thanks for that. Everytime I feel like I’ve gotten pretty great at navigating capfriendly something like that pops up.

Point still stands, an unprotected 1st that far out is a lotto ticket, with a lot that can change just year over year for the average team let alone an older one like Vegas.
Pietro will be 36, Stone 33, and Hertl 32. For the same reason I was hoping we’d trade with Boston for their future 1st, Vegas could be a great gamble with an old, expensive roster and barren cupboards.
Yeah, I know what you mean about CF lol

And I agree, I prefer the 2026 to 2025 myself. Not because it is unprotected though, but because it is further away and between this summer and next, they have a lot of major players coming up for contracts; and Petro, Karlsson, and Stone are getting up there in age.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I am just glad I don’t have to watch Hanifin soils his pants every time he sees McDrai any more

big win
Honestly if there's one thing I'll remember him for it's being a good defenceman against most of the league but having zero ability to adjust to elite players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad