Confirmed with Link: Noah Hanifin @ 75% (via Flyers) traded to Vegas for Cond. 2025 1st, Daniil Miromanov, conditional 2025 3rd Round pick

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I think it's safe to say this return ain't so shitty and we are the problem with too high of expectations.
One of those things that happens to every fanbase. "Our guys are worth the stars and the moon, they're guys are barely worth the shoes they wear" type thing.

We essentially got a first (25 or 26), second (25) (I really doubt Vegas loses in the first this year), and a tweener looking to make a jump (a chance he wouldn't get in Vegas without injuries. Theodore, McNabb, Martinez, Hutton, Pietrangelo as their top 5 for the last 3 years, with guys like Pachal, Whitecloud, Hague rotating as the 6th/7th/8th).

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
So the teams he was willing to extend with were obviously really trying to lowball so Conroy just took a rental price from Vegas instead?

Vegas again showing they’re willing to roll the dice. Wouldn’t be surprised if they convince Hanifin to stay if he’s a fit either

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
tbh they should have been asking for 2026 picks unprotected all the way through. That McKenna looks like the real deal. Man what would it feel like to have a generational player on our team for once?

Maybe we luck out the Oilers and get a player for our new arena
There is a weird yet not impossible scenario where Calgary walks into the McKenna draft with 3 shots at him. Florida has an insane 14 contracts on their current roster that expires this year, including 11 UFAs. If they fumble the bag handling that and Bobrovsky starts to struggle again causing their pick to be top 10 we get their unprotected 2026 1st. Vegas just trades there 2025 1st which they seem to be considering and we get their unprotected 2026 1st, and there is another shot. Only stipulation is we don’t draft 1st overall next year (then Montreal would get the better of our/Florida 2026 1st), and we could have 3 shots at McKenna in this daydream-esque situation.

Reactions: Bert Mckrakken

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sean walker then. Yes they took on a one year cap dump, but hanifin is quite a bit better too as a player.

If the flames get a legit prospect back I think this is solid. But this trade is pretty much a first, a (likely) second and an ahl filler player who might do okay as a bottom 2 dman. Again, there were signals the return was going to be disappointing, but it would’ve really been nice to get a centre prospect back at least.
Your expectations are unrealistic.

Walker may haver gotten a 1st, but that cap dump is worth at least a 2nd. Walker's return was nowhere near as good as Hanifin's and it's not even close.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Your expectations are unrealistic.

Walker may haver gotten a 1st, but that cap dump is worth at least a 2nd. Walker's return was nowhere near as good as Hanifin's and it's not even close.
I don’t really think so. Tanev getting a second and a small plus seemed about right. I always thought lindholm was a solid deal. This just doesn’t feel like enough. The conditions on the trade do add some risk/reward, but it’s likely we’re just getting a late pick in 2025 or 2026. Even if he draft a solid player with that pick, we probably don’t see a legit return from hanifin for 6-7 years. That’s a little tough to swallow imo.

Again, I wasn’t surprised we didn’t get the moon, doesn’t mean I have to like the return.

I will say though, I do think this should damper some of the speculation over markstrom’s valuation. If the best dman on the market couldn’t return a legit prospect, im sort of doubting some of the more… dubious valuation that was being thrown out there.

Reactions: tmurfin

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don’t really think so. Tanev getting a second and a small plus seemed about right. I always thought lindholm was a solid deal. This just doesn’t feel like enough. The conditions on the trade do add some risk/reward, but it’s likely we’re just getting a late pick in 2026 instead of this or next season. Even if he draft a solid player with that pick, we probably don’t see a legit return from hanifin for 6-7 years. That’s a little tough to swallow imo.

Again, I wasn’t surprised we didn’t get the moon, doesn’t mean I have to like the return.

I will say though, I do think this should damper some of the speculation over markstrom’s valuation. If the best dman on the market couldn’t return a legit prospect, im sort of doubting some of the more… dubious valuation that was being thrown out there.
Is Hanifin really a tier above Tanev as a player, though? For the future absolutely, but for the next 40 games? I think it's close, and I'm sure several teams would prefer to have Tanev.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I usually stay pretty even keeled but I got carried away this time too.

Looking back at deals involving pending UFA defensemen and 1st round picks near the deadline...
  • Sean Walker got a 1st, but Philly ate RyJo's contract (4m for an additional year)
  • Dmitri Orlov (and Hathaway) returned a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a nothing prospect
  • Hampus Lindholm returned a 1st and 2 2nds, but Anaheim ate a multi-year cap dump
  • Ben Chiarot returned a 1st, 4th and nothing prospect
  • David Savard returned a 1st and 3rd
  • Kevin Shattenkirk returned a 1st, Conditional 2nd (they got nothing), Zach Sanford (who was a B prospect at the time) and Brad Malone (was in the AHL and a pending UFA)
So that's going back to 2017...

I think it's safe to say this return ain't so shitty and we are the problem with too high of expectations.

Other than Lindholm these are bad comparables. Conroy got less than what he should've and it was because he was naïve and thought he could convince guys to stay that wanted to go. He should've learned this lesson already. When they want to leave, believe them.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Is Hanifin really a tier above Tanev as a player, though? For the future absolutely, but for the next 40 games? I think it's close, and I'm sure several teams would prefer to have Tanev.
Yes, absolutely. Like ainec. One is a legit top 2 puck moving dman and the other is a solid #4 guy who has a long injury history.

The return for tanev was understandable imo. This one is disappointing. Can’t spin it any other way in my eyes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don’t really think so. Tanev getting a second and a small plus seemed about right. I always thought lindholm was a solid deal. This just doesn’t feel like enough. The conditions on the trade do add some risk/reward, but it’s likely we’re just getting a late pick in 2025 or 2026. Even if he draft a solid player with that pick, we probably don’t see a legit return from hanifin for 6-7 years. That’s a little tough to swallow imo.

Find me a rental defenseman to get what you expected... please.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Sean walker then. Yes they took on a one year cap dump, but hanifin is quite a bit better too as a player.

If the flames get a legit prospect back I think this is solid. But this trade is pretty much a first, a (likely) second and an ahl filler player who might do okay as a bottom 2 dman. Again, there were signals the return was going to be disappointing, but it would’ve really been nice to get a centre prospect back at least.
This player we got back is not an AHL filler. Anyone who is excited about Kylington would be pretty hypocritical to call Miromanov that. Younger, less games played, with some fantastic AHL seasons under his belt. Had a pretty good showing for Vegas last season (played 17 minutes a night and even got powerplay time) before a weirdly cryptic injury took him out long term.

Realistic expectations for him would be patience for this season while he gets to 100% health, then probably a full season next year where he plays 2nd/3rd pair RD pending some offseason moves and adjusts to the NHL. Guy has put up great offense in both the KHL and AHL, is a big body who skates well, and has great offensive instincts. Despite his age he probably he’s closer to the the Morin/Poirier/Brzustewicz group for upside than the rest of our D prospects, guy has just had terrible luck when it’s come to getting his shot.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The hyperfixation on Russian prospects is quite a strange pattern by Conroy to be completely honest
Yes, absolutely. Like ainec. One is a legit top 2 puck moving dman and the other is a solid #4 guy who has a long injury history.

The return for tanev was understandable imo. This one is disappointing. Can’t spin it any other way in my eyes.
I disagree. We’ve seen Hanifin when he’s without Tanev to cover his mistakes and it’s not pretty.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Looking back at deals involving pending UFA defensemen and 1st round picks near the deadline...
  • Sean Walker got a 1st, but Philly ate RyJo's contract (4m for an additional year)
  • Hampus Lindholm returned a 1st and 2 2nds, but Anaheim ate a multi-year cap dump
  • Kevin Shattenkirk returned a 1st, Conditional 2nd (they got nothing), Zach Sanford (who was a B prospect at the time) and Brad Malone (was in the AHL and a pending UFA)

Going back even further...
  • Andrej Sekera returned a 1st and McKeown, back when Sekera was actually good
  • Tomas Kabrele returned a 1st, 2nd and Joe Colborne (he was a good prospect at the time)
I literally had to back 14 deadlines before I found a deal that included a 1st and a top prospect for a pending UFA defenseman, and even then f we're honest the shine was already coming off Colborne by then)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Find me a rental defenseman to get what you expected... please.
Hampus Lindholm was acquired as a pending ufa for a first and two seconds just two seasons ago. Yes he was extended after the fact, but there was nothing agreed in principle when the trade was made. You could argue whether he was better or worse than hanifin, but that seems like a fair comparable. Is a decent centre prospect a fair equivalent for 2 seconds? I think it would be. If the flames get a guaranteed pick this year and an additional second I think the deal is more palatable too. Now yes, Vegas could very well implode and this looks great in hindsight, but evaluating in the here and now I would bet whatever pick we get is in the mid to late 20s.

This player we got back is not an AHL filler. Anyone who is excited about Kylington would be pretty hypocritical to call Miromanov that. Younger, less games played, with some fantastic AHL seasons under his belt. Had a pretty good showing for Vegas last season (played 17 minutes a night and even got powerplay time) before a weirdly cryptic injury took him out long term.

Realistic expectations for him would be patience for this season while he gets to 100% health, then probably a full season next year where he plays 2nd/3rd pair RD pending some offseason moves and adjusts to the NHL. Guy has put up great offense in both the KHL and AHL, is a big body who skates well, and has great offensive instincts. Despite his age he probably he’s closer to the the Morin/Poirier/Brzustewicz group for upside than the rest of our D prospects, guy has just had terrible luck when it’s come to getting his shot.
I’ll believe it when I see it… I have a tough time being convinced a 26 yr old with 25 games under his belt is a kylington comparable.

The hyperfixation on Russian prospects is quite a strange pattern by Conroy to be completely honest

I disagree. We’ve seen Hanifin when he’s without Tanev to cover his mistakes and it’s not pretty.
Hanifin-Andersson in 2021-22… lol. I get they imploded in the playoffs, but they were a solid pair in the RS.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Hanifin is markedly better than all those guys other than Lindholm. After taking a breath I don't think this return is horrendously bad or anything but I do feel strongly he should have got at least one prospect with decent upside back. Something better than a conditional 3rd.

Ultimately that was probably due to his agent getting in team's ears there's only 4 preferred destinations more than it was Conroy doing a bad job, but that's part of being a GM. Keeping a lid on stuff and making proactive moves rather than backing yourself into a corner like he did here.

Yes he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitts and Felidae

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hampus Lindholm was acquired as a pending ufa for a first and two seconds just two seasons ago. You could argue whether he was better or worse than hanifin, but that seems like a fair comparable. Is a decent centre prospect a fair equivalent for 2 seconds? I think it would be. If the flames get a guaranteed pick this year and an additional second that’s quite a bit better.
Lindholm's deal also included a multi-season cap dump (2.75m) for a guy unable to make an NHL roster anymore. Leaving that out is pretty disingenuous.

Sooner =/= better and it's not like we were getting an earlier pick from Boston, Tampa or Florida

Hanifin is markedly better than all those guys other than Lindholm.
The deadline market isn't really determined by who is better year to year, it's determined by who is the best available in that year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
What we do with Markstrom next will be interesting. If we trade him at the deadline with no retention, I’m going to start being nervous at Conroy setting himself up to swing his dick in free agency for a quick re-tool.

The reported extensions he rejected by Lindholm/Hanifin are really scary to think about

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
What we do with Markstrom next will be interesting. If we trade him at the deadline with no retention, I’m going to start being nervous at Conroy setting himself up to swing his dick in free agency for a quick re-tool.

The reported extensions he rejected by Lindholm/Hanifin are really scary to think about

At this point I’d be shocked if we move Markstrom at the deadline.

But yeah, the rumoured extension offer for Lindholm is mind boggling. Hanifin I understand more given the fact there were no great offers trade wise for him.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Pretty much what’s been said so far - take a step back and you realize expectations were probably too high to start. Taking the emotion out of it, I’d say it’s a fine deal but nothing special.

I think the picks being a ways away is the part that stung the most - always thought it would be nice to have 3 ‘24’s for some flexibility since I’ve fallen in love with a couple of the prospects this year (Buium, Iginla). But Vegas feels like a more realistic bet to fall off in ‘26 than Tampa (I’m assuming Vegas uses ‘25 in the next couple days).

Excited to see Miramonov play though.

Reactions: Fig

Khrox

May 31, 2018
For years all everyone brought up about Russian prospects was the "Russian Factor". Right now, we're legitimately experiencing the "American Factor" of American prospects and players refusing to re-sign with us. And it's a lot more tangible than the Russian factor has been for us.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Hampus Lindholm was acquired as a pending ufa for a first and two seconds just two seasons ago. Yes he was extended after the fact, but there was nothing agreed in principle when the trade was made. You could argue whether he was better or worse than hanifin, but that seems like a fair comparable. Is a decent centre prospect a fair equivalent for 2 seconds? I think it would be. If the flames get a guaranteed pick this year and an additional second I think the deal is more palatable too. Now yes, Vegas could very well implode and this looks great in hindsight, but evaluating in the here and now I would bet whatever pick we get is in the mid to late 20s.

I’ll believe it when I see it… I have a tough time being convinced a 26 yr old with 25 games under his belt is a kylington comparable.

Hanifin-Andersson in 2021-22… lol. I get they imploded in the playoffs, but they were a solid pair in the RS.
A big difference between them is Kylington broke out during 2021-22, while Miromanov was breaking out during 2022-23 before he was injured (exact same point per game, while getting 17 minutes a night with powerplay time).

Guy isn’t a sure thing by any means of the word. But he’s had better seasons in the AHL than Kylington or frankly anyone on our roster, has a good history in his pro time in the KHL, and moves extremely well for a big body and has great offensive instincts. Obviously there’s a chance he doesn’t adapt to a full time spot and is just a bottom pair filler, but this isn’t some guy we got to make just to make the cap work. The fact we immediately signed him to a non-replacement level contract shows how we plan on using him in the immediate future.

Again, in his first serious role in the NHL he immediately started putting up numbers, including good powerplay production in barebones PP minutes. Calgary seems to be focused on getting reclamation projects they can immediately turn into valuable pieces like Sharangovich, Kuzmenko, and now Miromanov. They’ve done pretty great so far.

Reactions: Fig and Felidae

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A big difference between them is Kylington broke out during 2021-22, while Miromanov was breaking out during 2022-23 before he was injured (exact same point per game, while getting 17 minutes a night with powerplay time).

Guy isn’t a sure thing by any means of the word. But he’s had better seasons in the AHL than Kylington or frankly anyone on our roster, has a good history in his pro time in the KHL, and moves extremely well for a big body and has great offensive instincts. Obviously there’s a chance he doesn’t adapt to a full time spot and is just a bottom pair filler, but this isn’t some guy we got to make just to make the cap work. The fact we immediately signed him to a non-replacement level contract shows how we plan on using him in the immediate future.
Also prudent to note that Miro was moved to defense, so while he's already 26, he's a least a few years behind in developing that defensive game.

Reactions: flames23

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Under all circumstances with his agent, current market, Noah's condition- this is a fine deal by me.

I reset my expectations after the Tanev, Tarasenko, Walker deals.... It's not a great time to be a GM these days- well done Connie.

Also, I think Hanifin is rental right? Expecting anything higher would be unrealistic IMHO

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1