Rumor: NJD interested in Josh Anderson?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't see any reason at all for the Montreal Canadiens to even consider trading Josh Anderson and, to be perfectly clear, I have absolutely *zero* issue with his cap hit.

I'm frankly baffled that there are people suggesting that his cap hit somehow makes him undesirable and something the Canadiens would want to get out form under.

He's big, fast, plays with some edge and is excellent and wearing down the opposition by playing a heavy game and he's good for 20-goals. To pay $5.5 million for that is not an issue for me at all. That's what he's worth.

Josh Anderson is a factor in every game he plays. His rare combination of size and speed is a problem for the opposition and his physical game poses problems. Anderson's physical play was a big factor in the Canadiens trip to the Stanley Cup Final two years ago because of his forechecking and his ability to make the oppositions defence hear foot steps on puck retrievals.

He is absolutely a guy that the Canadiens should keep in their lineup because he will only become more valuable as the quality of renters in Montreal continues to improve. There is simply no reason at all for the Canadiens to move him.
Josh Anderson has averaged 21 goals and 36 points per 82 games over his career.
Miles Wood has averaged 17 goals and 31 points per 82 games over his career.

I'd rather pay Wood more to keep him than take on Anderson's $5.5M contract for barely better performance. Better the player you know than overpaying for someone you don't, and I'd want no part of Wood at $5M either.

Reactions: Voight

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yeah, no.

Anderson's contract is way too big for a player of his calibre. No desire for the Devils to pick that up.

And two, this is a bogus no-name twitter account. This is not even a legit "rumour". It's some random guy making stuff up.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I feel like Fitzgerald isn't dumb enough to make a trade for him.

I don't see any reason at all for the Montreal Canadiens to even consider trading Josh Anderson and, to be perfectly clear, I have absolutely *zero* issue with his cap hit.

I'm frankly baffled that there are people suggesting that his cap hit somehow makes him undesirable and something the Canadiens would want to get out form under.

He's big, fast, plays with some edge and is excellent and wearing down the opposition by playing a heavy game and he's good for 20-goals. To pay $5.5 million for that is not an issue for me at all. That's what he's worth.

Josh Anderson is a factor in every game he plays. His rare combination of size and speed is a problem for the opposition and his physical game poses problems. Anderson's physical play was a big factor in the Canadiens trip to the Stanley Cup Final two years ago because of his forechecking and his ability to make the oppositions defence hear foot steps on puck retrievals.

He is absolutely a guy that the Canadiens should keep in their lineup because he will only become more valuable as the quality of renters in Montreal continues to improve. There is simply no reason at all for the Canadiens to move him.

I personally wouldn't want to pay a guy whos never scored 30 goals or 50 points $5.5mn long term.

Reactions: BHD

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm just saying that I see a lot of comments about him being overpaid. If a team thinks he's overpaid, they shouldn't be paying for the portion of his salary that makes it a bad contract.

Let's say player X makes 7 million but should really be paid 5. The team trading for him shouldn't be paying for the bloated part of his salary. So to get player X at 3.5, the acquiring team should only have to pay 1.5 worth of value - not the full 3.5.

Makes sense, but it's reflected in the "original price" too. Ie. The acquiring team would get a "discount" on the player if he's overpaid by 2M, but would have to pay a premium to get a player underpaid by 1.5. So, to get from 2M overpaid to 1.5M underpaid, the difference in value is 3.5M overall.

Using picks for illustration.

In your example, player X is paid 7M but worth 5M, then he's slightly overpaid but still a good player (and if the cap rises it could become a decent cap hit). Perhaps his value is a 3rd round pick (in which case it might be better to keep him until he can be a high value rental).

But if the player was paid 5M, he'd be worth a 2nd rounder, because he'd be a good player on a fair contract.

If you retain to 50%, then the player's cap hit is 3.5 - making his contract solid value, then maybe he's worth a 1st rounder.

Of course some players, under circumstances, have negative value and you need to pay to get rid of their contracts. But, Anderson's not one of these cases. His trade value is affected by being overpaid, but he's still a valuable player.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Makes sense, but it's reflected in the "original price" too. Ie. The acquiring team would get a "discount" on the player if he's overpaid by 2M, but would have to pay a premium to get a player underpaid by 1.5. So, to get from 2M overpaid to 1.5M underpaid, the difference in value is 3.5M overall.

Using picks for illustration.

In your example, player X is paid 7M but worth 5M, then he's slightly overpaid but still a good player (and if the cap rises it could become a decent cap hit). Perhaps his value is a 3rd round pick (in which case it might be better to keep him until he can be a high value rental).

But if the player was paid 5M, he'd be worth a 2nd rounder, because he'd be a good player on a fair contract.

If you retain to 50%, then the player's cap hit is 3.5 - making his contract solid value, then maybe he's worth a 1st rounder.

Of course some players, under circumstances, have negative value and you need to pay to get rid of their contracts. But, Anderson's not one of these cases. His trade value is affected by being overpaid, but he's still a valuable player.
He is a near 40% xGF% player and is relatively bad on a bad team. Habs fans need to stop using individual skill sets to sell him, at the end of the day he is a bad 5 on 5 player. Yes, we know he is fast/heavy with some scoring touch. A lot of players offer a nice tool set. I would rather overpay for someone like Lawson Crouse. You pay for what you get.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He is a near 40% xGF% player and is relatively bad on a bad team. Habs fans need to stop using individual skill sets to sell him, at the end of the day he is a bad 5 on 5 player. Yes, we know he is fast/heavy with some scoring touch. A lot of players offer a nice tool set. I would rather overpay for someone like Lawson Crouse. You pay for what you get.

I personally don't love the player, Im simply commenting on relative trade value between 5.5M and 2.75M cap hit.

Anderson does have flaws, for sure, otherwise he wouldn't be overpaid at $5.5 lol

Why dont I like Anderson? Because he's not a good complement to top players. He likes to carry the puck and bulldoze through the zone. How are star players supposed to shine around that? He's fine in a third line role and adds grit and size though. Could be used to install an ozone presence and disrupt the goalie/D concentration.

Crouse is younger, cheaper, less inuury history, he's a more attractive get in every way.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I don't think it makes a ton of sense to look at this until next year if Wood doesn't come back. Anderson is basically the suped up version of wood, but he's 18 months older and I would assume that Wood is not as expensive even when he signs his deal this off season. Signing Wood to 4.5 x 4 (something I am completely against) still makes a ton more sense than giving up assets to trade for Anderson at 5.5 .

Now, retention can certainly make this a more interesting acquisition, however i feel like Montreal isn't retaining anything major for 4 more years. Maybe they'd retain something like 1.0 - 1.5? I think Arizona retained 1M on 5 years of OEL, and Toronto 1.2 on 5 years of Kessel?

So really I feel like this would be the type of acquisition that the devils would house until the off season.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I feel like Fitzgerald isn't dumb enough to make a trade for him.

I personally wouldn't want to pay a guy whos never scored 30 goals or 50 points $5.5mn long term.

Well this works out terrific because I don't want anyone else but Montreal to be the one paying him $5.5 million so everyone is happy.

• Haha
Reactions: Forge

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Habs fans in this thread remind me of the meme of the guy crying behind the smiley face mask :laugh:

Based on literally (and I'm using it correclty) every report from a reputable source has stated Josh Anderson has serious value and the Habs are asking a lot for him and have turned down serious offers for him over the past 12 months.

I'd say the fans saying over paid cap dump/we don't want him are the ones that represent that meme.

Habs Brass aren't trying to trade him, but are open to what seems like an overpay. Habs fans generally like him.

Reactions: pth2

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Trading Anderson has more to do with opening a roster spot for a youngster than needing to get rid of that cap hit. Also the prospects/picks helps with the rebuild.
Not sure why Habs fans believe they can rebuild the team in one year while everyone else takes multiple years.

FliegerKorps

May 10, 2018
Trading Anderson has more to do with opening a roster spot for a youngster than needing to get rid of that cap hit. Also the prospects/picks helps with the rebuild.
Not sure why Habs fans believe they can rebuild the team in one year while everyone else takes multiple years.
Show us the habs fans who said the rebuild would take one year.

Reactions: FerrisRox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad