Rumor: NJD interested in Josh Anderson?

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
100%

His edgework is so-so, but in straight line, he's unstoppable
Anderson is at his best when he uses his speed to hunt pucks and mash opposing defenders into the boards causing turnovers , also good at screening goalies , tipping pucks , scoring timely goals and defending his teammates . If you're looking for prolific scoring then look elsewhere he isn't that guy . He won't be moved for anything less than fair value so no retention or useless cap dumps coming back , though I'm sure they would take a useful contract to facilitate a deal if they were trying to move him .

Reactions: SpitfireG

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I put the Anderson to NJ rumor at 90% bogus.

1. Devils are on a 13 game heater, You don't mess with success

2. The Devils Have Bratt, Mercer, Zetterlund on the Right side. Zetterlund is tied for 3rd in points among rookies, Bratt is Bratt, and Mercer is doing good and is playing beside Hischier who is the Devils top player at the moment. You don't put Mercer in that position unless you are very high on him.

HOWEVER IF ITS TRUE!

If Anderson was good on leftwing ( I don't know if he is) then perhaps he could be a good Wood replacement IF the habs were willing enough to eat enough of Andersons contract to make it land in the $3.5 million or $4 million dollar range. (thats probably the max the Devils would have done to resign Wood)

Devils would probably want the deal to be
2024 1st + Wood
For
Anderson @ $3.5-$4 million

Montreal would want
Anderson
for
2023 1st

They'd argue over it and something either happens or doesn't.

(I'd assume Wood would then be traded at the deadline by Montreal for probably a 2nd but a lot of GM's covet Woods goal scoring ability and speedy and gritty playstyle. Perhaps they get a 2023 1st or a 2024 1st.)
A first for Josh Anderson in any draft is insane....

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
We have many good wingers in Montreal. How about Hoffman who’s getting hot? Dadonov 20 goals last season.? Gallagher is the real deal, a real warrior…
Gallagher is a warrior but that contract is a nightmare on elm street with four more parts coming after this year...

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Anderson is at his best when he uses his speed to hunt pucks and mash opposing defenders into the boards causing turnovers , also good at screening goalies , tipping pucks , scoring timely goals and defending his teammates . If you're looking for prolific scoring then look elsewhere he isn't that guy . He won't be moved for anything less than fair value so no retention or useless cap dumps coming back , though I'm sure they would take a useful contract to facilitate a deal if they were trying to move him .
now i am relieved, as he won't end up in new jersey.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I love how Habs fans insist he will only go for market value as if they are the GM. NJ doesn't need Anderson, he is a one dimensional overpaid forward. Palat will be coming back in the near year and will be our trade deadline pickup up front. If NJ has room for anything, it is a sniper like Tarensenko, not Anderson.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Of all the contenders New Jersey do have the most long-term cap flexibility with a lot of their key guys already locked in with a rising cap coming. I'm not sure where fair value lies for what satisfies Habs fans/brass and what's too much for New Jersey to pay.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Half of their forwards are UFAs or RFAs after this season, Bratt needs a new contract, Severson is expiring this year. Anderson's deal ending would nicely line up with the L. Hughes/Nemec/Holtz extensions, though.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Anderson definately has some value (not great prospect value though), particularly for playoffs teams in need of grit and toughness.

Seems to me NJ is that kind of team, If their salary structure permit it.

Anderson is a 20-25 goals 3rd line winger who can fill in on the 2nd line for some games. But this player gain all of his value during the playoffs.

I would say a late 1st and a project (kinda like Puulju from Edm. Don't know if NJ as his equivalent)

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Anderson definately has some value (not great prospect value though), particularly for playoffs teams in need of grit and toughness.

Anderson is a 20-25 goals 3rd line winger who can fill in on the 2nd line for some games. But this player gain all of his value during the playoffs.

I would say a late 1st and a project (kinda like Puulju from Edm. Don't know if NJ as his equivalent)
A guy who "can fill in" on the 2nd line should not be making $5.5M.

Reactions: HBK27

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

Bjorkstand is a far better player than Anderson with a similar contract and was just traded for a 3rd and 4th round pick.

That's the value Montreal fans should expect. His contract is horrid for his production.
1st round pick or top prospect GTFO here. Its just not going to happen.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not sure I agree with this. Half of their forwards are UFAs or RFAs after this season, Bratt needs a new contract, Severson is expiring this year. Anderson's deal ending would nicely line up with the L. Hughes/Nemec/Holtz extensions, though.
Severson will be departing, almost certainly. L. Hughes has spent his entire career to this point playing RHD, and we have Nemec. Severson is a luxury we can't afford and don't need. Up front we have a lot of new contracts (principally with Bratt and our 4th line), but Hughes and Hischier are cost controlled for the next five seasons (longer in Hughes' case). We have cap flexibility to bring in one additional big piece without breaking our cap structure, but ideally that piece should have a 2-3 year contract that will be expiring when the L. Hughes and Nemec ELCs will be... and Anderson is not that piece.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm sure the Devils are absolutely desperate to add a long term terrible contract to their cap structure.

Terrible contract is subjective though. I don't think it's neither a terrible contract or a value one either. Anderson is not consistent but he's a very valuable piece in the playoffs and the guy shows multiple gears to his game. If he played at the high end every shift, he would be a value contract.

20+ goal threat but not going to be above 50 pts. Could be depending on who he plays with. Skating/Size/Grit combo is just not radiality available.

Devils were high on Slaf (pre draft) so I do think they are after more size in their mix of forwards. You might not like Anderson but they are after a guy like that.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He shouldn't be, but there are plenty of teams that still overvalue size and physical play. I'm still skeptical though considering his contract is going to be a no-go for most contending teams.

That was my thought too. Useful player but that contracts ugly

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Terrible contract is subjective though. I don't think it's neither a terrible contract or a value one either. Anderson is not consistent but he's a very valuable piece in the playoffs and the guy shows multiple gears to his game. If he played at the high end every shift, he would be a value contract.

20+ goal threat but not going to be above 50 pts. Could be depending on who he plays with. Skating/Size/Grit combo is just not radiality available.

Devils were high on Slaf (pre draft) so I do think they are after more size in their mix of forwards. You might not like Anderson but they are after a guy like that.
He's not capable of playing top-6 and he's making $5.5M. It's a terrible contract. That would be like if we gave Miles Wood a contract extension making $5M. Wood is a good player, I like having him on my team, he produces from the bottom-6, and someone might be willing to pay him that... but there's no way that isn't a terrible contract.

Reactions: HBK27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bjorkstand is a far better player than Anderson and was traded 3rd and 4th round pick.

That's the value Montreal fans should expect. His contract is horrid for his production.
1st round pick or top prospect GTFO here. Its just not going to happen.

We heard that before with Toffoli, Lehkonen, Chiarot. Your 3rd and 4th round value is flawed by a wide margin. Bjorkstand was moved for that value due to cap issues. If you think that is Bjorkstand's value, you are not comprehending his value well either.

Habs are not desperate to move Anderson. Some fans are though. We are only moving him if the offer is right for us. Perfectly fine keeping Anderson if the offers are crap... like your 3rd and 4th rounders.

He shouldn't be, but there are plenty of teams that still overvalue size and physical play. I'm still skeptical though considering his contract is going to be a no-go for most contending teams.

Teams that do well have stars but also guys with skating/size like Anderson mixed in. If you think skating/size is overvalued, you will loose in the playoffs. This is not the NBA where it's mainly winning due to skill.

It's going to take fans years to adjust to the new middle 6F cap values. Salary cap is going up and Anderson's contract is nowhere near terrible like some have in their heads.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have. He sucks and isnt worth a waiver claim based on his contract.

This is more about a flat cap and salary cap issue than Anderson sucks. Anderson raises his game in big games but the frustrating part is he is not consistent. Guys like this are very much valued in the playoffs.

You say you have watched but I doubt you have watched it enough to know.

Same BS narrative said towards Chiarot. He was playing 23-25 min a game without Weber and still performing very well. Panthers paid a premium to acquire but then played him 15 min a game. Dummies. What happens next? The well respected Yzerman signs Chiarot. You going to say Yzerman don't know what he is doing now? :sarcasm:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

There is the difference between an 18 year old 6'4 235 pound PF who could slot in on the 1st line and Anderson. NJ will be getting Palat back in a month or so as well.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Would only happen if Fitz knows Wood is not in their LT plans...Not saying Anderson is better than Wood...On top of that the retention would have to make the contract less than what they would lock up Wood for....

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Players like Anderson get overpaid in the NHL... it's just the way it is. Tough physical players who can forecheck and score become very valuable in a long playoff run. I could definitely see a contending team making a push for him, but I don't think the Habs need to rush this move.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
- Chiarot was an UFA. Pure rental.
- Lehkonen was an RFA and two years (prime years) younger than Anderson at the time of the trade.
- Toffoli had 2 years left @ 4.5 after the season

I’m not going to sit and here and whine that Anderson is vastly overpaid. I think he does touch on a lot of the traits GMs tend to go ga-ga for even if the production record is spotty at best. But with 4 more years @ 5.5 left AFTER this season for his age 29, 30, 31 and 32 seasons - it is absolutely silly to compare the amount of financial heft left on this deal to whatever team trades for him compared to other assets the Habs have gotten value for.

I think we’ve reached a turning point where in a lot, if not most cases involving veteran players - there is value added to trading for a player that has no or little financial commitment versus one tied down. I know that seems opposite of what we’ve been trained to perceive when it comes to trade value but for a GM, diving in to a commitment with no indication of how the player will fit in your teams lines, chemistry or coach’s usage can be a dangerous game.

- Chiarot: Complete non-factor for the Cats in the playoffs…they let him go and wash their hands without further financial misery. Steep price but at least not compounded by longer commitment.
- Lehkonen: Outstanding for the champs, still young enough that he was an RFA…the perfect “trial” contract - he passed and was rewarded and the Habs were rewarded for that really good contract situation with a good haul
- Look at a guy like JT Miller - from potential extremely valuable rental asset to “wouldn’t” touch with a 10’ pole in the matter of months. Same player…different commitment level you’d have to buy into.

If the Habs dealt Anderson they’ll have suitors and get a solid return but every potential trade should be examined on a case by case basis. An UFA to be Anderson is attractive to every single team vying for the playoffs. One with $22 million of contract left after this seaso and 3 of those 4 years in his 30’s? That significantly reduces the market.

Simply spouting that “you are all wrong look at what the Habs got for other players” is not an actual argument for Anderson’s trade value or perceived lack of trade value.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad