Rumor: NJD interested in Josh Anderson?

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
In the playoffs you need “grit“. “Grit” means guys being willing to fight to get inside when the rush game stops working in the playoffs and it’s harder to get between the dots. It’s more about your skill guys being able to do that than adding a bunch of big guys at random.

Sometimes your skill guys need some big guys to give them some more space to get inside. But the much more important thing is finding skill guys that can do that.

Jersey has time.

They should see, come playoff time, who might need help and who doesn’t rather than adding big long term contracts just to add size at random.
When Anderson is on, he’s a beast to play against. But he only shows up every third game. He’s become soft. And I’m a Habs fan!

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
“Highly-regarded”. Well, not by NJ people. Nothing about the decisions the Devils have made in recent years suggest we want this player at that number.
Fan base on HF does not make roster decisions. What we have here a credible member of the media speaking of trade discussions. I do admit most teams will have deals in fermentation going on at any time that do fall through. Talks likely have and may be still going on here. The price is as much if not slightly better than the second best on the table.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Fan base on HF does not make roster decisions. What we have here a credible member of the media speaking of trade discussions. I do admit most teams will have deals in fermentation going on at any time that do fall through. Talks likely have and may be still going on here. The price is as much if not slightly better than the second best on the table.
You can take my word for it. Tom Fitzgerald doesn’t want him. If we had a garbage contract to send back, sure. We don’t, and won’t be trading for him.

Reactions: HBK27

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
You should apply to join the management core of your team.
Is it some shock to you that a team having success and spending to the cap wouldn’t want that piece of turd contract on the books for 5 more years? RW is already full even without Holtz grabbing a spot yet anyway.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Fitzgerald has yet to make a bad trade for this Devils team. I don’t think he has any interest whatsoever in Anderson, but even in the slightest hypothetical chance he does, Devils wouldn’t be giving up much of significance.

Even if there was maybe early season interest, I would hope that has all but dried up now with how well Zetterlund is playing. There’s really no longer a need long term at RW with Bratt, Zetterlund, Mercer capable of playing RW, and Holtz on the horizon.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Is it some shock to you that a team having success and spending to the cap wouldn’t want that piece of turd contract on the books for 5 more years? RW is already full even without Holtz grabbing a spot yet anyway.
Did your mother teach you speak like that? No one of any significance will be moved till closer to the deadline and players values won't be set for about 8 weeks.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
No fan of New Jersey, but if I were their GM, I wouldn’t disturb that lineup until the TDL.
Then again, there's a school of thought that trades need to be made when things are going well - so the new guy isn't under pressure to be a savior, and well before the TDL means a guy has more time to gel with teammates.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Then again, there's a school of thought that trades need to be made when things are going well - so the new guy isn't under pressure to be a savior, and well before the TDL means a guy has more time to gel with teammates.
Wow, that’s a take I’ve have never heard. Makes sense though.

Reactions: pth2

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You should apply to join the management core of your team.
and you should become a respected media member. those media members get instrumentalized by teams all the time. but you take their words like gospel.

if we could believe those rumors, half of vancouvers roster would be on the devils.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
and you should become a respected media member. those media members get instrumentalized by teams all the time. but you take their words like gospel.

if we could believe those rumors, half of vancouvers roster would be on the devils.
The important part part if the word rumor is the word rumor. Most trade talks between the GMs don't end a trade occurring but they go on. This one there is enough where we could speculate on the likely components the parties would accept. Here the goal of posters appears to be to dump on the other side in language that leave you sleeping on the couch if you said to the wife. I don't Anderson will move right now as the length of the contract is something that be moved in the off season. With the cap situation with most teams this year maybe tight and there maybe little movement aside from 4th liners and 3rd pairings.Then again if anyone can navigate it yah gotta admit it would be Hughes.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The important part part if the word rumor is the word rumor. Most trade talks between the GMs don't end a trade occurring but they go on. This one there is enough where we could speculate on the likely components the parties would accept. Here the goal of posters appears to be to dump on the other side in language that leave you sleeping on the couch if you said to the wife. I don't Anderson will move right now as the length of the contract is something that be moved in the off season. With the cap situation with most teams this year maybe tight and there maybe little movement aside from 4th liners and 3rd pairings.Then again if anyone can navigate it yah gotta admit it would be Hughes.
just last summer devils fans had to hear, how we were interested in many players and all speculation were about prime futures from the devils going the other way. i am quite sure, there was more interest from the other side in the devils futures, than vice versa. from a devils perspective the anderson contract is undesirable. now, in the off-season and most likely anytime.

the devils have two contracts on the books, who can become problematic down the road:
- hamilton 9m until 2028
- palat 6m until 2027

more long-term commitments for older players could compromize the roster building around our core players (hischier/hughes), who should be in their prime, when those contracts could start to become problematic. why would the devils handicap themselves for the most promising years? they are very unlikely a true contender this or next season, as the core players are still young and unexperienced. the devils real window of contention will start in the season 24/25.

if montreal could retain 3 contract years, the devils should be interested in anderson. but as this isn't an option, i can't see any interest from a devils perspective unless enough aav is retained, that also the last three years of the anderson contract wouldn't create a cap issue. from a montreal perspective that retention (~2mil) would require assets, which anderson isn't worth.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
just last summer devils fans had to hear, how we were interested in many players and all speculation were about prime futures from the devils going the other way. i am quite sure, there was more interest from the other side in the devils futures, than vice versa. from a devils perspective the anderson contract is undesirable. now, in the off-season and most likely anytime.

the devils have two contracts on the books, who can become problematic down the road:
- hamilton 9m until 2028
- palat 6m until 2027

more long-term commitments for older players could compromize the roster building around our core players (hischier/hughes), who should be in their prime, when those contracts could start to become problematic. why would the devils handicap themselves for the most promising years? they are very unlikely a true contender this or next season, as the core players are still young and unexperienced. the devils real window of contention will start in the season 24/25.

if montreal could retain 3 contract years, the devils should be interested in anderson. but as this isn't an option, i can't see any interest from a devils perspective unless enough aav is retained, that also the last three years of the anderson contract wouldn't create a cap issue. from a montreal perspective that retention (~2mil) would require assets, which anderson isn't worth.
Terms of the trade are flexible and the teams can make moves down the road needed for cap issues and team needs short till long term. Never heard of any one retaining 3 years of a contact contact and don't if it is allowed. What is a $3.5 million 28 yr old, big fast power type forward locked up for 4 years worth on the market? We think we can increase his value between now and the deadline listening to what StLouis and Hughes have said.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When Anderson is on, he’s a beast to play against. But he only shows up every third game. He’s become soft. And I’m a Habs fan!

Accurate. He does play very well in big games and the other trend I noticed is he raises his game when he plays with better players.

Certainly not a perfect forward and maybe overpaid by a $1M ish. Basically it's 20+ goals and size/skating package you get. Averages 36 pts but points come and go depending on who players like this play with.

I smell what's cooking here. Devalue Anderson in a way where you can ask for retention and offer low trade value as well. No doubt in my mind that there are lots of teams who would like to add him. $5.5M from age 28-32 for a player with his size/skating and 20+ goal ability. Too many fans treating him like he is 35+.

Terms of the trade are flexible and the teams can make moves down the road needed for cap issues and team needs short till long term. Never heard of any one retaining 3 years of a contact contact and don't if it is allowed. What is a $3.5 million 28 yr old, big fast power type forward locked up for 4 years worth on the market? We think we can increase his value between now and the deadline listening to what StLouis and Hughes have said.

I don't see Anderson going lower than 20 goals and 36 pts at age 28. I also don't see him declining from age 28-32 with that skating. I do see a growing cap. Don't want to pay us our asking price now? What's stopping us from trying again when he is 30 and a much higher salary cap?

Habs are not shopping Anderson. Fans are and the other gullible fans are thinking we want to "get rid of him". It's just not accurate

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Obviously it isn't allowed to retain contract years. It would be like lending/renting a player under contract.

Paying assets to acquire a contract with the idea to pay more assets to get rid of the same contract later, only makes sense for a team with a short term contention window. That's not the Devils.

Tell the rumor mill creation companies (canadian media) to adjust the trade destination for Anderson. It won't be an up and coming team like Devils, Kings, Wings, Sens, Sabres, Kraken etc. Better try the contenders with a closing window. I know, they don't have those attractive futures, which you would love to see on your team.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Last part of your post is the key: listening to what MSL and Hughes are leaking. Or running with a single reporter’s opinion that is then picked up by the Marinaro types.

His value can increase if his play picks up, pretty simple. Works both ways. To increase his production you must give him pp time which he is not having at this point.

As of now, i doubt teams are lining up to get JA. Guy will earn 8 and 7 mil next 2 seasons. Yikes. Even the contract’s structure is a problem.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad