Rumor: NJD interested in Josh Anderson?

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
they need some more grit

hughes would be an idiot to let this opportunity go. it's a great chance to unload that contract.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Of all the contenders New Jersey do have the most long-term cap flexibility with a lot of their key guys already locked in with a rising cap coming. I'm not sure where fair value lies for what satisfies Habs fans/brass and what's too much for New Jersey to pay.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I put the Anderson to NJ rumor at 90% bogus.

1. Devils are on a 13 game heater, You don't mess with success

2. The Devils Have Bratt, Mercer, Zetterlund on the Right side. Zetterlund is tied for 3rd in points among rookies, Bratt is Bratt, and Mercer is doing good and is playing beside Hischier who is the Devils top player at the moment. You don't put Mercer in that position unless you are very high on him.

HOWEVER IF ITS TRUE!

If Anderson was good on leftwing ( I don't know if he is) then perhaps he could be a good Wood replacement IF the habs were willing enough to eat enough of Andersons contract to make it land in the $3.5 million or $4 million dollar range. (thats probably the max the Devils would have done to resign Wood)

Devils would probably want the deal to be
2024 1st + Wood
For
Anderson @ $3.5-$4 million

Montreal would want
Anderson
for
2023 1st

They'd argue over it and something either happens or doesn't.

(I'd assume Wood would then be traded at the deadline by Montreal for probably a 2nd but a lot of GM's covet Woods goal scoring ability and speedy and gritty playstyle. Perhaps they get a 2023 1st or a 2024 1st.)

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Not at that contract it doesn't. The devils are cap strapped but also, where does he play? The only open spot would be boqvist, but palat will push him from the lineup

Bro, trust me
Well if they want him, they would be looking to swap him with someone. Tatar would seem like the obvious answer. Add the pieces you have to add and MTL flips Tatar later on if they can.

I’m not going to analyze the Devils cap situation, but like I said if they are starting to evaluate their roster for the playoffs, you can have too many skill guys in the lineup so it makes sense they’d be looking at something like Anderson.

He’s also got speed so he can keep up with the Devils style.

Maybe it happens maybe not, but I see why they would like the fit.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Well if they want him, they would be looking to swap him with someone. Tatar would seem like the obvious answer. Add the pieces you have to add and MTL flips Tatar later on if they can.

I’m not going to analyze the Devils cap situation, but like I said if they are starting to evaluate their roster for the playoffs, you can have too many skill guys in the lineup so it makes sense they’d be looking at something like Anderson.

He’s also got speed so he can keep up with the Devils style.

Maybe it happens maybe not, but I see why they would like the fit.
Given how well tatar has played this year and what Nico is doing, that seems not great to disrupt what's working. But that's just me

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Given how well tatar has played this year and what Nico is doing, that seems not great to disrupt what's working. But that's just me
Isn’t that where Palat is going to play anyway?

Obviously don’t want to mess with the team right now, but if there’s interest could materialize later on.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
In the playoffs you need “grit“. “Grit” means guys being willing to fight to get inside when the rush game stops working in the playoffs and it’s harder to get between the dots. It’s more about your skill guys being able to do that than adding a bunch of big guys at random.

Sometimes your skill guys need some big guys to give them some more space to get inside. But the much more important thing is finding skill guys that can do that.

Jersey has time.

They should see, come playoff time, who might need help and who doesn’t rather than adding big long term contracts just to add size at random.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
New rule... anyone sharing a tweet should write out a short description of the author. I have no idea who @Presidan is.
Presidan is irrelevant. Tony Marinario is a former Montreal radio host who has a podcast now (with Chris Nilan I believe).

Anderson at 50% retained is not even remotely enticing.

This seems like MTL media trying to will something into existence.
I would agree with you but that is irreleavant. Many GM's are interested in him because he is a power forward.

Reactions: Vachon23

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
New rule... anyone sharing a tweet should write out a short description of the author. I have no idea who @Presidan is.
Random Twitter guy quotes Montreal radio guy that “New Jersey wants Anderson bad!”

Sounds super legit to me. The use of exclamation mark makes it obvious there is some inside info going on here. Clearly not just podcast/social rumor fodder. Nope. Devils want Anderson…bad!

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think Anderson could be a good add for NJ.

Maybe a three-way trade in which Severson is sent to a 3rd team, the 3rd team & MTL both retain a bit on Anderson, MTL gets a good pick and/or prospect, and NJD gets Anderson at, say, $4-4.5m, and a depth D (maybe even Savard).

Anderson is underrated around here. He won't be a $5.5m player every single year, but he will have years where he is... and if you go deep into the playoffs he has the ability to be worth that and much more.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Isn’t that where Palat is going to play anyway?

Obviously don’t want to mess with the team right now, but if there’s interest could materialize later on.
Hard to say. It is certainly possible. He did play with Nico to open the season but that line also included holtz. Then holtz came out and he went with bratt and Nico, but then bratt was pushed to Jack's line, etc. I suppose it depends on how much they really want to change up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad