Rumor: NJD interested in Josh Anderson?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
What he lacks in hockey IQ he makes up for by still contributing 20g per 82 games, speed to burn, and a willingness to play a heavy game. Teams will always show interest in those players - especially if they have a smaller group of forwards. Interest enough to take 4 years of term? Will depend on the acquiring team's cap space.

The "injury history" is the shoulder issue that saw Columbus move him. He's well passed that. It's not a problem.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The player makes a lot of sense for the Devils, his contract doesn't.
I'd imagine it'd have to have retention for NJ to even consider taking it, and I can't imagine MTL wants to do that

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I get HF doesn't like Anderson, but reportedly the Habs have turned down bug offers for him since HuGo took over.

So if he does get moved any team that acquires him won't like the price they pay. But they will like having Anderson on their team

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I'd imagine it'd have to have retention for NJ to even consider taking it, and I can't imagine MTL wants to do that
Actually he doesn't. If NJ wants to add a forward. They want a top 6 winger that can play with Jack Hughes or Nico Hischier, score 30 goals and 70-80 points.
Anderson is not that player. Never had the consistency.

It makes more sense for NJ to target the likes of Timo Meir, Vladdy Tarasenko.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Lol at 50% retained there's a lot of teams calling. He's a solid middle 6 guy.

he goes on a team like the Rangers or Tampa, win a Cup, and ye gets the Coleman/Goodrow/Maroon treatment or even more

Except, Bergevin handed him that on a silver plater... but at 50% he's absolutely palatable

Slug? The guy's a freaking train...

But like a train, don't ask him to turn or stop. A very North South type of guy. Would be useful in the playoffs to run into the opponent's star goalie

Should teams really be required to pay for retention if its a bad contract?

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Actually he doesn't. If NJ wants to add a forward. They want a top 6 winger that can play with Jack Hughes or Nico Hischier, score 30 goals and 70-80 points.
Anderson is not that player. Never had the consistency.

It makes more sense for NJ to target the likes of Timo Meir, Vladdy Tarasenko.

For me, Tarasenko doesn't make sense as he's a rental, Anderson would be a lot less expensive than Meier both in assets required to get him and contract.
If Montreal retains down to 4 a season, Anderson doesn't hurt as much, I also see him as a Wood replacement that can slop up, but doesn't necessarily need to be in the top 6 every night.

The main reason I think he makes sense is, Fitz has shown he wants players with term over quick fixes and he's fast enough to play at the pace the Devils want to play at

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Should teams really be required to pay for retention if its a bad contract?

How many NHL players are signed for 4 more years at $2.75M (50% retention) and can score 20 goals? Play with an edge? Typical power forwards?

Teams aren't paying "for retention", they're paying for Josh Anderson signed 4 years at 2,75M which is better value than Josh Anderson signed 4 years at 5.5M

Reactions: BKarchitect

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I’m sure if we trade Anderson the return will be a 1st + without retention.

PF, can fight, good shot, blazing speed . Someone will pay for that .

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't see any reason at all for the Montreal Canadiens to even consider trading Josh Anderson and, to be perfectly clear, I have absolutely *zero* issue with his cap hit.

I'm frankly baffled that there are people suggesting that his cap hit somehow makes him undesirable and something the Canadiens would want to get out form under.

He's big, fast, plays with some edge and is excellent and wearing down the opposition by playing a heavy game and he's good for 20-goals. To pay $5.5 million for that is not an issue for me at all. That's what he's worth.

Josh Anderson is a factor in every game he plays. His rare combination of size and speed is a problem for the opposition and his physical game poses problems. Anderson's physical play was a big factor in the Canadiens trip to the Stanley Cup Final two years ago because of his forechecking and his ability to make the oppositions defence hear foot steps on puck retrievals.

He is absolutely a guy that the Canadiens should keep in their lineup because he will only become more valuable as the quality of renters in Montreal continues to improve. There is simply no reason at all for the Canadiens to move him.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I agree retention will make a big difference in trade value here. The question is how much the Habs (or a third party) are willing to swallow in order to essentially buy assets to continue the rebuild. $2.75 million in 3 or 4 years of dead cal could be highly annoying as the Habs turn the corner into a contender. Then again some of those picks and prospects could be used to help turn that corner. It’s a fine balancing act.

I’d say if you can retain Anderson down to say $4 million for the 4 years after this one - you’ll have upped the market for him significantly while keeping the dead cap a bit more palatable.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Anderson at 50% is the Blake Coleman trade. Return would be something like 1st+Stillman. He'd be very valuable.

He fits the Devils system perfectly so I can see the interest. The team just can't fit him on the roster at $5.5mil. They also have Miles Wood who is a very similar players going into UFA. It would be a better idea to resign him at a lower amount than trade for Anderson.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
I put the Anderson to NJ rumor at 90% bogus.

1. Devils are on a 13 game heater, You don't mess with success

2. The Devils Have Bratt, Mercer, Zetterlund on the Right side. Zetterlund is tied for 3rd in points among rookies, Bratt is Bratt, and Mercer is doing good and is playing beside Hischier who is the Devils top player at the moment. You don't put Mercer in that position unless you are very high on him.

HOWEVER IF ITS TRUE!

If Anderson was good on leftwing ( I don't know if he is) then perhaps he could be a good Wood replacement IF the habs were willing enough to eat enough of Andersons contract to make it land in the $3.5 million or $4 million dollar range. (thats probably the max the Devils would have done to resign Wood)

Devils would probably want the deal to be
2024 1st + Wood
For
Anderson @ $3.5-$4 million

Montreal would want
Anderson
for
2023 1st

They'd argue over it and something either happens or doesn't.

(I'd assume Wood would then be traded at the deadline by Montreal for probably a 2nd but a lot of GM's covet Woods goal scoring ability and speedy and gritty playstyle. Perhaps they get a 2023 1st or a 2024 1st.)
lol a 1st for Anderson

Reactions: HBK27

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
How many NHL players are signed for 4 more years at $2.75M (50% retention) and can score 20 goals? Play with an edge? Typical power forwards?

Teams aren't paying "for retention", they're paying for Josh Anderson signed 4 years at 2,75M which is better value than Josh Anderson signed 4 years at 5.5M

I'm just saying that I see a lot of comments about him being overpaid. If a team thinks he's overpaid, they shouldn't be paying for the portion of his salary that makes it a bad contract.

Let's say player X makes 7 million but should really be paid 5. The team trading for him shouldn't be paying for the bloated part of his salary. So to get player X at 3.5, the acquiring team should only have to pay 1.5 worth of value - not the full 3.5.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
This place has zero understanding of value sometimes, Anderson's contract severely hurts his value but with retention he's easily worth a 1st. It doesn't even have to be 50% retention but if Montreal retains him to 4-4.5 million, someone is paying a price to add him

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
NJ has such a great contract situation. I think they will make a better move than this.

I guess that could change if MTL is willing to retain 1-1.5m.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Holtz can't get in the lineup because he's too slow, Josh is a slug...

never in a million years
How to say you have no idea what you’re talking about with our saying it. Maybe you’re thinking of goaltender Craig Anderson. Because Josh Anderson is really fast.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
NJ has such a great contract situation. I think they will make a better move than this.

I guess that could change if MTL is willing to retain 1-1.5m.
I agree there are better options for NJ than Anderson, but with that level of retention he's a player I could see them interested in, he's got term and if he's retained he has value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad