Rumor: NJD interested in Josh Anderson?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am well aware of the physical aspect he brings. He's still a 3rd or 4th liner that's overpaid for 5 seasons. He's only scored 20 goals or more once it was 5 seasons ago. In one post you say he isn't injury prone then the next say he pro rates to score 20 goal when he hasn't done it for half a decade. You're lost.

His skating is more valuable than his physical play. Without the skating, he would be the player you think he is. However, you are just off with your 3rd/4th line narrative. He is a middle 6F type to me and many others who avoid trolling a player or have points evaluation as their sole focus.

His career stats speak for themselves. Twist is as you wish. Sounds like the same BS said towards Lehkonen and Toffoli when there was trade talks last season. You guys must be getting tired of trolling Habs players and being wrong by now eh?

Reactions: pth2

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Power forwards with poor skating generally don't age well. Skating is the game bud. You know the difference between E Kane and Lucic? Both Power forwards but the major difference is skating

So you do think the Habs are getting zero calls about Anderson. He will be a cap dump and the Habs are desperate to trade him. That's comical.
English not your first language? Re-read what I said. They won't get anything MATERIAL for him without significant retention.

Sorry some of us live in reality.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Power forwards generally don't age well. And Josh Anderson has already been underperforming, is making top 6 money, and signed with a modified NTC through his age 33 season.

Anyone who thinks he has any material value without significant $$$ retention is living in fantasy land.

There have literally been report from big insiders that teams have offered a late 1st round pick for him before the last trade deadline.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Wait, I'm sorry. I'm engaging with a poster making Anderson and Evander Kane skating comparisons. I should know better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
English not your first language? Re-read what I said. They won't get anything MATERIAL for him without significant retention.

Sorry some of us live in reality.

Nah, we will get a solid return and maybe we take back a 2 year cap dump to help the other team fit the cap. After all, it's hard to move anybody right now with so many teams up against the cap. Habs won't retain that long. Most teams avoid that. It's more likely we take back a contract around the 1 or 2 year term and $3M ish AAV type. A player a team wants to unload while they get an upgrade.

It's basically going to be a solid futures return with a contract coming back. Otherwise, we are not trading him. He's valued on the Habs and we are only looking to move him if we get an offer we can't refuse.

Reactions: Chose and pth2

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
There have literally been report from big insiders that teams have offered a late 1st round pick for him before the last trade deadline.
OOOOOOOO then they prob should have moved him. He's worth more now? Lalalala delusional Habs' fans.

Plus we all know every media report is 100% accurate. Everyone knows that. Duh.

Ironically, I could see him getting a late first....BUT WITH RETENTION.

Reactions: bert

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
His skating is more valuable than his physical play. Without the skating, he would be the player you think he is. However, you are just off with your 3rd/4th line narrative. He is a middle 6F type to me and many others who avoid trolling a player or have points evaluation as their sole focus.

His career stats speak for themselves. Twist is as you wish. Sounds like the same BS said towards Lehkonen and Toffoli when there was trade talks last season. You guys must be getting tired of trolling Habs players and being wrong by now eh?
His skating is why he has any value at all, I agree. Same with Miles Wood. Neither player is someone I’d commit long term to, for that very reason. He is already not worth his contract. He doesn’t do enough. It won’t get better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His skating is why he has any value at all, I agree. Same with Miles Wood. Neither player is someone I’d commit long term to, for that very reason. He is already not worth his contract. He doesn’t do enough. It won’t get better.

His skating is one of the reasons but not the sole reason. If he gets traded, we can talk about how wrong you are then OK?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I am well aware of the physical aspect he brings. He's still a 3rd or 4th liner that's overpaid for 5 seasons. He's only scored 20 goals or more once it was 5 seasons ago. In one post you say he isn't injury prone then the next say he pro rates to score 20 goal when he hasn't done it for half a decade. You're lost.
Did you heard of the pandemic? There was a shortened season... Anderson missed 19 games total since joining the Habs. Out of 181 possible games, playoffs included, he's played in 89.5% of the games.

Pro-rating his production to 82 games just gives a clearer picture of his production. He's been averaging 23g/82 games since joining the Habs.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
OOOOOOOO then they prob should have moved him. He's worth more now? Lalalala delusional Habs' fans.

Plus we all know every media report is 100% accurate. Everyone knows that. Duh.

Ironically, I could see him getting a late first....BUT WITH RETENTION.

Okay so random hf poster vs hockey reporters (not Marinaro), hmmmm who should we listen too. Let's review the records from the past 12 months:

Lehkone, Chiarot Kulak

Hf said worth basically nothing maybe a 2nd for the best return of all of them

In reality the combined return:

Unprotected 202e 1st, 2 x 2nds, good prospect, b prospect, 3rd.

Seems like we aren't the delusional ones when are going off what's literally being reported.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
His skating is one of the reasons but not the sole reason. If he gets traded, we can talk about how wrong you are then OK?
I mean it’s possible there is some idiot GM that would take that deal. Someone gave up a 1st+ for Risto, you never know. It don’t be Fitz.

But it doesn’t change the fact that all this guy does is skate straight and get some 5 on 5 goals and hits. He’s not helping create offense for his teammates, doesn’t do much defensively.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean it’s possible there is some idiot GM that would take that deal. Someone gave up a 1st+ for Risto, you never know. It don’t be Fitz.

But it doesn’t change the fact that all this guy does is skate straight and get some 5 on 5 goals and hits. He’s not helping create offense for his teammates, doesn’t do much defensively.

Pretty sure there are a few teams that called about Anderson and that dates back to last deadline too. Basically, you are evaluating him as a top 6F when he is a middle 6F and because he is not a top 6F value contract, you go overboard in devaluing him. If the cap was not expected to grow, I would have concerns about a middle 6F at $5.5M but this will be the rate to pay for a player like this in the next 4 years. He's signed from age 28-32 and some fans are acting like he's signed from 32-36. 28-32 years is ideal for many players in the NHL. Lehkonen is one with the Avs and fans like you devalued him big time in trade discussions last year.... with a "points" evaluation approach.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Did you heard of the pandemic? There was a shortened season... Anderson missed 19 games total since joining the Habs. Out of 181 possible games, playoffs included, he's played in 89.5% of the games.

Pro-rating his production to 82 games just gives a clearer picture of his production. He's been averaging 23g/82 games since joining the Habs.
Yet he's never done it. Incredible!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I'm not twisting anything... You are, you're calling him a 20 goal scoring middle 6 forward. Of which he is currently neither on a bad team. He is all of a sudden going to a better team where he slots further down and he magically becomes this fictional player you've come up with. What an outrageous stretch. It's still a flat cap and teams pay to get rid of boat anchor contracts like this. Your own team just got a first to take a contract. I actually have never in my life seen anything like Montreal Canadien fans on HF right now. You're either unable to use deductive reasoning, living in a fantasy world or just lack basic intelligence.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not twisting anything... You are, you're calling him a 20 goal scoring middle 6 forward. Of which he is currently neither on a bad team. He is all of a sudden going to a better team where he slots further down and he magically becomes this fictional player you've come up with. What an outrageous stretch. It's still a flat cap and teams pay to get rid of boat anchor contracts like this. Your own team just got a first to take a contract. I actually have never in my life seen anything like Montreal Canadien fans on HF right now. You're either unable to use deductive reasoning, living in a fantasy world or just lack basic intelligence.

You are twisting it cause you are ignoring 82 games. The only fair way to look at your points obsession evaluation is to prorate for 82 games.

21 goals and 36 pts is his career rate and he's very close to that this season. So yeah, 20-30 goals and 30-40 points for prime years is not far fetched. But once again, his overall evaluation is not based on points alone.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I'd have concerns about his decline if he was a poor skater or average skater type. However, that is not the case so I think he ages well. It's basically 20-25 goals and 30-40 pts is what you get but his value in the playoffs is underrated. Whoever trades for him (if there is a trade), will automatically change their tune. Typical HF boards to devalue players in trade talks.

Monahan trade has nothing to do with Anderson's trade value. Habs are not the ones shopping Anderson, teams are calling us. Fans are the ones who make you think the Habs are "desperate" to trade Anderson.
"In trade talks"

Is that what it is? I see a bunch of fans saying no thanks while you furiously polish turds.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think a prior poster hit the nail on the head earlier when he suggested that MTL is getting calls on Anderson but probably to move him for a limited return and probably with some retention. Could I see NJ be interested to take on Anderson for $4 mil per at a minimal acquisition cost if Miles Wood wants over $5 mil per? Sure, that make sense. I am skeptical NJ would offer a first round pick for him without retention however. Neither team needs to make a trade of this sort right now which is why at most it was probably just a phone call to assess what MTL might want for the player and at a first round pick price NJ probably said thanks and maybe they will circle back at the TDL. One other factor to consider is that NJ's cap is messy. I'm not sure the team has the room to just add Anderson without gymnastics which are typically expensive in the flat cap environment.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Which are somehow different from yours?

Sure. I only engaging in our difference of opinion but you can act like the popular bandwagon reveals the truth all day long if you wish. Just like with Toffoli, Lehkonen, and Chiarot in recent trade talks right?

Anderson is not a 4th liner but he is not a legit top 6F with no flaws either. Middle 6F type who brings a lot of things to the table beyond your points approach. It's not a value contract but it's not a bad contract either. Truth is in the middle

I'd say being accurate is something all people should thrive for. Misinformation on the other hand. Not so much.

Prorating his stats over 82 games is as accurate as it gets.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It's more likely we take back a contract around the 1 or 2 year term and $3M ish AAV type. A player a team wants to unload while they get an upgrade.

It's basically going to be a solid futures return with a contract coming back. Otherwise, we are not trading him. He's valued on the Habs and we are only looking to move him if we get an offer we can't refuse.
Pretty much fits the Puljujarvi + 1st suggestion I made elsewhere (knowing it would need some tweaking for cap reasons)

---

I don't understand why so many fans think retention on a long-term deal is viable... it just about never happens, for a reason.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Perhaps Habs fans would be interested in Michael McLeod? 1 goal and 1 assist in his last 2 games projects to 41 goals and 82 points over a full season. Reliable 40 goal scorer signed at a steal of a contract.

Reactions: bert and My3Sons

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think Anderson could be a good add for NJ.

Maybe a three-way trade in which Severson is sent to a 3rd team, the 3rd team & MTL both retain a bit on Anderson, MTL gets a good pick and/or prospect, and NJD gets Anderson at, say, $4-4.5m, and a depth D (maybe even Savard).

Anderson is underrated around here. He won't be a $5.5m player every single year, but he will have years where he is... and if you go deep into the playoffs he has the ability to be worth that and much more.
Not sure if the Devils want to mess with their defense and pairings. They're winning and I'd think having a strong defense is a part of it.

Anderson's contract extends through the 2026-27 season. Any team doing some retention for part of his contract is making a big/long commitment. I'd think they'd want quite a bit in return to do that. That's another reason why I feel like the Devils would be hesitant to make a trade like that.

Reactions: TBF1972

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad