Nintendo Switch #5

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Thanks, not sure Fire Emblem is my style but might eventually check it out. Planning on eventually picking up Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros Ultimate and Mario Kart. Figure the Switch Oled, a Pro Controller, Mario, Zelda, and Metroid Dread will run me like $800-900 CAD to start.

FWIW, 3 Houses is probably the most accessible tactical game out there. It's not overly complex.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's easily my favourite Switch game. 100%ed that baby.
I still haven't lol but it's because I did my third run on maddening classic and those take so long it burns me out.

But it's my favorite Switch game too. It may not be the most tactical Fire Emblem out there but it makes up for it with excellent characterization. The Three Houses roster of characters are some of my favorites with a few exceptions (Bernadetta is an annoying anime cliche that is so transparently pandering to a certain crowd and it's annoying that it works, Caspar and Cyril are boring nothings)

Reactions: Gecklund

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I still haven't lol but it's because I did my third run on maddening classic and those take so long it burns me out.

But it's my favorite Switch game too. It may not be the most tactical Fire Emblem out there but it makes up for it with excellent characterization. The Three Houses roster of characters are some of my favorites with a few exceptions (Bernadetta is an annoying anime cliche that is so transparently pandering to a certain crowd and it's annoying that it works, Caspar and Cyril are boring nothings)
She was the first girl I married after

I turned against Edelgard

but I do agree that the cast is fantastic. I always wanted to get all the supports in an FE game and while it took about 8 playthroughs and 400 hours, I'm happy that I did it. I do want to go back and play the game on higher difficulties when I have less games to play. That day sadly may never come.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
She was the first girl I married after

I turned against Edelgard

but I do agree that the cast is fantastic. I always wanted to get all the supports in an FE game and while it took about 8 playthroughs and 400 hours, I'm happy that I did it. I do want to go back and play the game on higher difficulties when I have less games to play. That day sadly may never come.
Just personally not a fan of the awkward social anxiety girl who needs "senpai" to help her out of her shell to the result of undying affection and gratitude for rescuing them from themselves. As someone who's struggled with real social anxiety in the past, I hate it when it's romanticized and cheaply played on to fulfill white knight fantasies. At least with a character like Marianne it feels a little more natural. Bernie gets on my nerves.

But if that's my only true gripe about the cast, I'd say they did a great job. A big bulk of other FE games' character rosters are solid but forgettable.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't own a Switch yet, but I have a pre-order in for the OLED model. Outside of Mario Odyssey and BoTW any other must owns (I have Hades on PS5 if that was a rec). Probably going to buy Metroid Dread too.
Switch probably has the best gaming catalogue either beating PS4 or at least tying it depending on what you're into. Super Smash has a lot of problems, but is a must get with an insanely long campaign. I love me Mario Maker, it seems like a bar-bone game, but there is so much creativity for your disposal and when you make a fun yet challenging level you and your friends can sit on the couch and try time and time again. Mario Kart might be the only one from Nintendo's main cast that I would be iffy on, they made the game insanely hard to the point that it is beyond cheap. It has a high re-playability, but then you just get frustrated that you don't want to play it anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 93LEAFS

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I do hope they start announcing the games from older handheld consoles and bringing them in for sale or for having the subscription to whatever their online pass thing is.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Won't happen, but BotW2 could come out Q1 next year and be a winter release. All we know about it is that it's aiming for a 2022 release, though I'd bet it'll be a holiday title rather than an early year title.

I won’t even tease myself with that possibility.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Won't happen, but BotW2 could come out Q1 next year and be a winter release. All we know about it is that it's aiming for a 2022 release, though I'd bet it'll be a holiday title rather than an early year title.
I think with how little shown I'd be shocked if its Q1. But, I don't think a system selling game needs to come out at holiday to maximize return any more. SIE rarely launches big games in Q4 anymore, and Nintendo launched Animal Crossing last year in May in the middle of a pandemic and moved an insane amount of copies. The video game market is no longer dictated by kids with no discretionary income depending on Christmas and their birthdays, it is built on 18-49 year olds who should have discretionary income to buy a 60 dollar USD game at any point if they want it.

With a game like BOTW 2, just get it out when it's ready. It will sell 10's of millions of copies regardless.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Nothing overly interesting to me. I do like that they keep releasing free stuff for Mario Golf and that Animal Crossing may be getting some new substance.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Nothing overly interesting to me. I do like that they keep releasing free stuff for Mario Golf and that Animal Crossing may be getting some new substance.

Same. Mario Golf is nice as I play that with family and friends.

I'm not particularly impressed with an "Expansion Pack" tier membership for access to more games when their online play is already so clunky and the only real value - if you can call it that - is in the NES and SNES games. They are so incredibly far from polished when compared to Playstation or Xbox.

I was also hoping for Gameboy stuff given the handheld aspect of the Switch but I didn't see anything.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad