Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If I saw correctly, it looks like there is going to be a Painter/Artist class?
I swear I saw an attack where a brush was being used and color was being splashed onto the target.

that sounds so cool
the gambler class was interesting as well. (knowing me i'd probably kill myself with it all the time). some of the issues they had i just feel they had (organically) in the 3Ds versions and in Octopath Traveller so i don't know why they didn't include it at default (no pun intended).

in other news.
i ws already gonna get the Age of Calmity. but holy crap. is it amazing (it's a lot of stuff that's different than HW original. but you kinda get into it)

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I was meaning to say this, RE7 was available as a streaming title in Japan, now Nintendos first streaming title has come to the west. Control Ultimate edition. Like RE7, its only a rental, though they strangely dont say the length of it. RE7 was a 3 month rental though, so its safe to assume this is the same. Hitman 3 was also announced as being released on switch like this too.

Its a weird way of doing it, and I dont think its gonna interest a lot of people, but I can see more and more titles developers doing this with it just becoming totally unrealistic to port next gen games to switch (or even switch pro whenever thats coming). And hey, Controls even got raytracing on Switch, can't say that about ps4 and xbox can you, lol?

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've had interest in Suda 51's work since I bought Killer 7 on the GameCube. By the time No More Heroes 1 and 2 came out, I was in college and didn't really do video games any more. Definitely thinking about picking up those two games before 3 comes out.

Also very interested in these cloud versions of games. As well as Hyrule Warriors.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've had interest in Suda 51's work since I bought Killer 7 on the GameCube. By the time No More Heroes 1 and 2 came out, I was in college and didn't really do video games any more. Definitely thinking about picking up those two games before 3 comes out.

Also very interested in these cloud versions of games. As well as Hyrule Warriors.

No More Heroes 1/2 are so ridiculously over the top, I loved them. Not exactly the best looking games, but they are pretty stylish in their own right.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just finished Super Mario Galaxy from 3D All Stars for the first time. It's pretty incredible and just like I hoped, is waaaay better than Super Mario Odyssey, in my opinion. The only significant improvement the latter has on it is the controls/advanced movement tech (which is standout and almost single-handedly makes the game), and even then Galaxy is pretty great in that regard, but other than that, Galaxy beats it handily in concept/universe, visual art direction, purpose/focus, awe-inspiring charm/artistry/elegance, music, level design/progression, and satisfying challenge. Even the story elements, which I never would have expected from a Mario game, is nailed perfectly.

Odyssey has some cute gimmicks and moments of fan-service, but the aimless do-anything open world nature of the game and endless meaningless fetch quests are terrible, in my opinion. Even technologically, the 10 year surface-level advancements that are to be expected is barely even anything noticeable.

The only gripes I had with Galaxy were that the occasional "special" levels that 100% relied on motion controls were tedious skills to adjust to (they were kind of a fun break from the norm in a way I guess), I'd occasionally run into this thing where Mario would get locked into repeatedly running around in a circle after making an awkward input (not sure if this is specific to the Switch version-- it feels like it's related to the tricky control nuances of moving on a small sphere), and like Odyssey, I still really dislike this clunky idea of progressing by collecting some arbitrary number of achievements that open up new areas (still not as bad as in Odyssey where the achievements don't even involve fully beating levels). It's more elegant and less lifeless to do that part the old way, where there are required and optional paths that can be taken from beating one level after another, IMO. "Just do this until you've done it enough to progress" just feels stupid to me.

Peak Mario is now Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Galaxy for me in no particular order. Haven't played 64, but I'm a bit skeptical (might do that one next). Also intrigued by Galaxy 2, but from what I'm hearing about it, I don't really expect to like it quite as much as Galaxy 1.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Also just finished Bomb Chicken, and while I don't love it quite as much as Celeste, Hollow Knight, Downwell, or Into the Breach (unlike those, this does feel like a very limited indie game w/o AAA polish), it is a hidden gem with ingeniously designed minimal/simple mechanics that are very cleverly conceived, IMO. It has the mechanical elegance of Downwell that I always gush about, where familiar conventions are combined to create something unique/interesting and that feels right/more efficient. 2018 was an incredible year for indies.

The sprite-work is exactly what I want from an indie game. I remember someone gushing about the sprite-work and animation of Katana Zero a while back, but I'm actually way more impressed by it in this.

Also sampled Iconoclasts, which has a great look, but I don't feel as strongly about it as these two so far. Will look into Hades soon.

Updated Switch Favorites:

5.0 (Masterpiece)
1. Celeste
2. Hollow Knight
3. Inside
4. Downwell
5. Into the Breach

4.0 (Flawless)
6. Super Street Fighter II Turbo (from 30th Anniversary)
7. Ikaruga

3.5 (Great)
8. Tetris 99
9. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (from 30th Anniversary)
10. Super Mario Galaxy (from 3D All Stars)

3.0 (Very Good)
11. Limbo
12. Bomb Chicken
13. Baba is You

2.5 (Good)
HM. Final Fantasy VII
HM. Super Mario Odyssey
HM. Garou: Mark of the Wolves
HM. Cadence of Hyrule
HM. Crypt of the Necrodancer
HM. Breath of the Wild
HM. Hyper Light Drifter
HM. Katana Zero
HM. Tropical Freeze

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I just finished Super Mario Galaxy from 3D All Stars for the first time. It's pretty incredible and just like I hoped, is waaaay better than Super Mario Odyssey, in my opinion. The only significant improvement the latter has on it is the controls/advanced movement tech (which is standout and almost single-handedly makes the game), and even then Galaxy is pretty great in that regard, but other than that, Galaxy beats it handily in concept/universe, visual art direction, purpose/focus, awe-inspiring charm/artistry/elegance, music, level design/progression, and satisfying challenge. Even the story elements, which I never would have expected from a Mario game, is nailed perfectly.

Odyssey has some cute gimmicks and moments of fan-service, but the aimless do-anything open world nature of the game and endless meaningless fetch quests are terrible, in my opinion. Even technologically, the 10 year surface-level advancements that are to be expected is barely even anything noticeable.

The only gripes I had with Galaxy were that the occasional "special" levels that 100% relied on motion controls were tedious skills to adjust to (they were kind of a fun break from the norm in a way I guess), I'd occasionally run into this thing where Mario would get locked into repeatedly running around in a circle after making an awkward input (not sure if this is specific to the Switch version-- it feels like it's related to the tricky control nuances of moving on a small sphere), and like Odyssey, I still really dislike this clunky idea of progressing by collecting some arbitrary number of achievements that open up new areas (still not as bad as in Odyssey where the achievements don't even involve fully beating levels). It's more elegant and less lifeless to do that part the old way, where there are required and optional paths that can be taken from beating one level after another, IMO. "Just do this until you've done it enough to progress" just feels stupid to me.

Peak Mario is now Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Galaxy for me in no particular order. Haven't played 64, but I'm a bit skeptical (might do that one next). Also intrigued by Galaxy 2, but from what I'm hearing about it, I don't really expect to like it quite as much as Galaxy 1.

Odyssey has been collecting dust on my shelf since I bought my Switch. Just can’t get into it whatsoever.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
5. Into the Breach

Speaking of this fantastic gem of a game, I played Star Renegades recently. I don't know if you've tried it, but it reminded me somewhat of Into the Breach. It shares the timeline loop aspect, although instead of the pure tactics game, it's more of a JRPG style combat system that I found quite enjoyable.

I wouldn't say it's as good as Into the Breach, but definitely a fun take on the idea IMO.

I don't think it's out for Switch yet (I played off of Xbox Game Pass for PC), but I believe it is on the way.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Speaking of this fantastic gem of a game, I played Star Renegades recently. I don't know if you've tried it, but it reminded me somewhat of Into the Breach. It shares the timeline loop aspect, although instead of the pure tactics game, it's more of a JRPG style combat system that I found quite enjoyable.

I wouldn't say it's as good as Into the Breach, but definitely a fun take on the idea IMO.

I don't think it's out for Switch yet (I played off of Xbox Game Pass for PC), but I believe it is on the way.
Oh yeah, I remember seeing that. Is it fully out now? The gameplay ideas seem interesting, but I have trouble getting over the look of it. To my eyes, it seemed like 3D models filtered to look like it was done in MS Paint combined with actual ugly/amateurish MS Paint art, at first glance.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Oh yeah, I remember seeing that. Is it fully out now? The gameplay ideas seem interesting, but I have trouble getting over the look of it. To my eyes, it seemed like 3D models filtered to look like it was done in MS Paint combined with actual ugly/amateurish MS Paint art, at first glance.

I believe it is fully out on PC, but still waiting on the Switch version. I could be wrong.

And yeah, it's not the best use of pixel art. But it was worth the play for sure.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

Loved Killer 7 when it came out. I recently gave it a quarantine re-play, and was pleasantly surprised to still very much enjoy it. I couldn't really get into NMH, but seems like others like them a lot.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Haven't played 64, but I'm a bit skeptical (might do that one next). Also intrigued by Galaxy 2, but from what I'm hearing about it, I don't really expect to like it quite as much as Galaxy 1.

Oh man, I don't know how someone could go from Galaxy and then to 64 for the first time. Curious to see your reaction, as I'd imagine it would be unfavorable :laugh:. 64 looks like trash now, the camera can get wonky. The gameplay is still fairly tight though (as to be expected), and the levels still maintain a bit of that playground feel, which is nice. Still, tough to not evaluate it "at the time" where just running around and jumping from tree to tree outside the castle felt completely revolutionary.

I also recall liking Galaxy 2 more than Galaxy, though I can't remember specifically why. At the very least, it's a tighter experience, as they removed the hub aspect for getting from level to level. Which frankly was welcome. Unlike 64, whose castle actually had fun secrets to explore and find, the hub in Galaxy was pretty superfluous, iirc. I also think Galaxy was a bit -too- easy? Not that difficulty is a marker of a good game (often the opposite), but when you've got a control scheme that is so intuitive and expertly applied, you definitely want to push your limits a bit in what you're able to accomplish with it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh man, I don't know how someone could go from Galaxy and then to 64 for the first time. Curious to see your reaction, as I'd imagine it would be unfavorable :laugh:. 64 looks like trash now, the camera can get wonky. The gameplay is still fairly tight though (as to be expected), and the levels still maintain a bit of that playground feel, which is nice. Still, tough to not evaluate it "at the time" where just running around and jumping from tree to tree outside the castle felt completely revolutionary.

I also recall liking Galaxy 2 more than Galaxy, though I can't remember specifically why. At the very least, it's a tighter experience, as they removed the hub aspect for getting from level to level. Which frankly was welcome. Unlike 64, whose castle actually had fun secrets to explore and find, the hub in Galaxy was pretty superfluous, iirc. I also think Galaxy was a bit -too- easy? Not that difficulty is a marker of a good game (often the opposite), but when you've got a control scheme that is so intuitive and expertly applied, you definitely want to push your limits a bit in what you're able to accomplish with it.
I found Galaxy way harder than Odyssey, at least, but the only things that gave me genuine trouble was the swimming mechanics (is it inverted y-axis only? And are all the 3D Marios like that?) and not being used to the motion controls. Is Galaxy 2 challenging?

I can't tell how much of the 64 love is just nostalgia/importance and how much of it is legitimate timeless delivery, superficial technical limitations not withstanding-- been getting a lot of mixed signals on that. Like, Super Mario World holds up, but does 64? I do think there's SOME charm to the way it looks (the Mario model itself looks great to me, at least), but yeah, I'm not favorable to early 3D graphics in general the way I am to 2D stuff.

Obviously I'm in the dark about Galaxy vs. Galaxy 2, but from the comparison videos I watched, I'm leaning towards expecting to like Galaxy more. The impression I get is that Galaxy 2 takes the existing template and improves on mechanics and gameplay things in every way, but might feel more like a DLC/expansion rather than as complete, magical, and eye-opening of an experience in terms of all the extranneous details and how the world/experience unfolds? For example, the whole children's book storytelling aspect of Galaxy 1 added a lot to the game, I think, and I'm expecting to get less of that stuff from Galaxy 2. Could be wrong, and they both sound great and I'm very interested either way. Won't be getting my hands on that unless they release it on Switch at some point, though.

I found the hub charming, but if Galaxy 2 is just direct linear progression from level to level, I might prefer that over the clumsy "Get this many stars so that you can access the next level!" thing, though, which I really don't like.

Last edited:

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I found Galaxy way harder than Odyssey, at least, but the only things that gave me genuine trouble was the swimming mechanics (is it inverted y-axis only? And are all the 3D Marios like that?) and not being used to the motion controls. Is Galaxy 2 challenging?

I at least remember towards the end, Galaxy 2's challenge-level definitely ramps up big-time. I don't know if you're a completionist or not, but the final star in Galaxy 2 is just an absolute bear.

Obviously I'm in the dark about Galaxy vs. Galaxy 2, but from the comparison videos I watched, I'm leaning towards expecting to like Galaxy more. The impression I get is that Galaxy 2 takes the existing template and improves on mechanics and gameplay things in every way, but might feel more like a DLC/expansion rather than as complete, magical, and eye-opening of an experience in terms of all the extranneous details and how the world/experience unfolds?

I don't think that's too far off. In a vacuum, it's tough not to say Galaxy 2 is a superior game, because you're right, they take what is already great and somehow make it even better. But Galaxy came first, so yeah, everything that felt fresh and exciting in Galaxy won't necessarily elicit those same feelings in Galaxy 2.

I found the hub charming, but if Galaxy 2 is just direct linear progression from level to level, I might prefer that over the clumsy "Get this many stars so that you can access the next level!" thing, though, which I really don't like.

Yes, it's not unlike the model in 3/world, where it's just level-to-level (no mini secrets like in 3/World though, iirc). Yes, that does remind me that I absolutely loved the score for the Galaxy hub. The score for that game in general is fantastic, and I think it's the one thing that Galaxy is unable to improve upon.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I at least remember towards the end, Galaxy 2's challenge-level definitely ramps up big-time. I don't know if you're a completionist or not, but the final star in Galaxy 2 is just an absolute bear.

I don't think that's too far off. In a vacuum, it's tough not to say Galaxy 2 is a superior game, because you're right, they take what is already great and somehow make it even better. But Galaxy came first, so yeah, everything that felt fresh and exciting in Galaxy won't necessarily elicit those same feelings in Galaxy 2.

Yes, it's not unlike the model in 3/world, where it's just level-to-level (no mini secrets like in 3/World though, iirc). Yes, that does remind me that I absolutely loved the score for the Galaxy hub. The score for that game in general is fantastic, and I think it's the one thing that Galaxy is unable to improve upon.
Oh, I didn't mean in terms of innovation/coming first (something that I don't care about when comparing games), but from what I heard about the comparisons, it sounded like there was something in the delivery and presentation of Galaxy that was more charming and that feels more inspired, even in isolation, than in Galaxy 2. Like, I assume that if you play Galaxy 2 and go back to Galaxy 1, there would still be a special quality to the mood, atmosphere, and elicited emotions from Galaxy 1 that maybe 2 doesn't have as strongly? Again, no idea if that's true-- just the impression I got, and if it is the case, that's what my preferences might have a tendency to lean towards.

But yeah, that change in progression sounds promising.

The music in Galaxy was incredible, though. Unlike the music in Odyssey, it actually feels like classic Mario music.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I wasn't thinking about 3d All Stars but replaying Sunshine and Galaxy sounds like a good time, and I haven't played either since they came out so I've probably forgotten much of both lol...has anyone played either with the Pro controller?

Liminal Cat

Oct 11, 2011
I played Galaxy 1 and 2 practically back to back and definitely preferred the second game because it has better and more varied levels. There's less "find the five shards" missions that drag down the first one. It has the exact same great art direction, and Cosmic Cove Galaxy in particular is the most striking level in either game.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Hi everyone.

I'd like to buy a Switch and I know they're pretty hard to find/more expensive than usual right now. Where should I look? I'm willing to pay more to get it in the upcoming weeks but not anything over the top.

I found one for 539.99 CA$ on Amazon (console only), is this the kind of price I should expect to see at the moment?

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B07VGRJDFY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1DQ61DN65JH57&psc=1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys!

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Hi everyone.

I'd like to buy a Switch and I know they're pretty hard to find/more expensive than usual right now. Where should I look? I'm willing to pay more to get it in the upcoming weeks but not anything over the top.

I found one for 539.99 CA$ on Amazon (console only), is this the kind of price I should expect to see at the moment?

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B07VGRJDFY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1DQ61DN65JH57&psc=1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys!

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/nintendo-switch-consoles/3457140

At best buy its $400 CAD for the Switch with the new Animal Crossing (not my type of game, but it was very popular), or $260 for a switch lite with no games. Those prices are much more in line with what you should expect.

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad