Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hi everyone.

I'd like to buy a Switch and I know they're pretty hard to find/more expensive than usual right now. Where should I look? I'm willing to pay more to get it in the upcoming weeks but not anything over the top.

I found one for 539.99 CA$ on Amazon (console only), is this the kind of price I should expect to see at the moment?

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B07VGRJDFY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1DQ61DN65JH57&psc=1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys!

Switches are starting to return to stores as production has finally caught up in a sense. Switch Lites are going for MSRP and you might be able to find one of the Animal Crossing-branded Switches for MSPR (in stock at bestbuy.com for $299us & bestbuy.ca for $399ca from a quick glance). Black Friday isn't going to be bringing any huge deals aside from the regular Switch being bundled with Mario Kart 8 again.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/nintendo-switch-consoles/3457140

At best buy its $400 CAD for the Switch with the new Animal Crossing (not my type of game, but it was very popular), or $260 for a switch lite with no games. Those prices are much more in line with what you should expect.

I should read replies before I reply :laugh:

It should be noted that the Animal Crossing edition doesn't come with Animal Crossing, mind you, it's just an Animal Crossing-themed Switch. I'd say that's lame if it didn't look so good (the joy-cons at least).

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hi everyone.

I'd like to buy a Switch and I know they're pretty hard to find/more expensive than usual right now. Where should I look? I'm willing to pay more to get it in the upcoming weeks but not anything over the top.

I found one for 539.99 CA$ on Amazon (console only), is this the kind of price I should expect to see at the moment?

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B07VGRJDFY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1DQ61DN65JH57&psc=1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys!
You're so close to Black Friday, if I were you I would rather risk it and pick up a potential great bundle than trying to find one nowadays. It seems that the three companies (including MS and Sony) are making another shipment of consoles for the purpose of just Black Friday.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You're so close to Black Friday, if I were you I would rather risk it and pick up a potential great bundle than trying to find one nowadays. It seems that the three companies (including MS and Sony) are making another shipment of consoles for the purpose of just Black Friday.
They are selling like hotcakes, I doubt they will put them on sale, even for a bundle on black Friday. More so the accessories and games might have some good sales but i'd be surprised if the console has a sale.

I just got a Switch a month ago in preporation for working the midnight shift starting Jan....I'll have my eyes peeled for some good game deals.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
There's always a chance for a surprise, but smart money is on the same bundle as always of the Switch with Mario Kart included. Not sure about Canada, but Walmart US will have that for $300, so I assume others will as well. I'd say if that's not appealing, then try to be patient enough to get a system for the standard price. I don't think it's necessary to pay an inflated price.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I did some research again tonight and a few local Best Buys do have them in stock at 400 CA$ which wasn’t the case last time I checked so I definitely won’t overpay for one on Amazon. I’ll call them tomorrow to confirm, I honestly don’t know if I’ll be able to wait until Black Friday though since I’ve been craving one for months lmao. I’ll make a decision soon, thanks again for the help guys.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, if you can get one for the standard price now, I'd recommend just jumping on it, unless you really want Mario Kart. If not, you risk just missing out in general IMO, not really missing out on any other deal than the Mario Kart deal. It's possible we could be wrong but Nintendo is pretty consistent in this regard. For what it's worth, I was in your shoes last year around this time, ended up just not pulling the trigger, and then jumped on one at the start of the lockdowns.

The other benefit to snagging on now is that you can focus on finding good game deals in the weeks ahead. It seems like a number of good first party titles will be 35-40 USD, some even 30. The latter is a good price to jump on anything you will want, as there's no chance first party games will go much lower (not sure what the exact CA$ equivalents in price are, but I imagine the trends track in the same way).

The game I've been churning lately is Fire Emblem: Three Houses, which is on a good sale right now.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
First party Nintendo games rarely go on sale so if you see a game you know you want even before getting the system, snag it up cuz it might not be on sale again for six months.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Finally bought one online from Best Buy! According to my order's details they should deliver it this Thursday but with the COVID situation I don't know if it'll be that fast. I also never ordered anything online from them so no idea if they're usually fast or not. We'll see!

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Not unexpected at all and I doubt anyone bought the switch to play it, but Doom Eternal is likely cancelled.

Edit: It may just be Gamestop pre-orders being cancelled because of delay

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not unexpected at all and I doubt anyone bought the switch to play it, but Doom Eternal is likely cancelled.

Edit: It may just be Gamestop pre-orders being cancelled because of delay

Physical copy has been cancelled...digital-only release now.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Just bought a Black Friday Switch bundle, the one that has Mario Cart 8 and 3 months online... All the stores had the exact same bundle at the same price this year. I was looking at the Costco bundle but that only came with a case and Pro Controller for $369.99. So I figured the free game was worth more since this is a gift for the kids for Christmas and everyone here should enjoy Mario Cart.

Is there any where to get good cheaper switch games? Even used games seem to be only $10 cheaper than new

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Don't know if it was stated here but the eshop has a black friday sale going on.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Don't know if it was stated here but the eshop has a black friday sale going on.

Heads up on the sale on the Xenoblade 2 - Torna the Golden Country sale price. If you buy it alone it's $27 on sale, if you buy the expansion pass for Xenoblade 2, you get Torna and a handful of other things for $30. If you like the game, the extra three bucks is probably worth it.

Reactions: sa cyred

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I may be picking up Castle Crashers remastered, because why not have it on every system!? Loved that game when it originally released back in the day!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
question about joycon drift. My joycons suffer from it. I've replaced the sticks, and they end up suffering from it. My powerA wireless controller is now starting to suffer from it. They all developed this issue after my kid played a lot of smash on them. As I've googled this issue, that's been something it feels comes up a lot. Someone plays a lot of Smash, the sticks turn to crap. I've seen people talk about it with everything from Joy Cons to the Pro Controller to third party controllers like my PowerA.

I'm not saying it's a 100% all of the time causation, but I've really started to wonder if there isn't something about Smash's controller mechanics that encourages hard wear on the sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad