Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Hollow Knight is finally on sale (50% off)! Definitely grabbing this one.
Also tempted to get XCOM 2 (60% off) as I've never played an XCOM game before, but I heard this game kinda runs like shit on the Switch? Can anyone confirm? Same issue with the Outer Worlds from what I've seen.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Some really good stuff on sale. If you were scoping out a game I would take a look. I got Ni No Kuni & Northgard for $31 total.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Can someone try to sell me on Borderlands? I skipped every entry so far but part of me is tempted to give the collection a go on Switch.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Can someone try to sell me on Borderlands? I skipped every entry so far but part of me is tempted to give the collection a go on Switch.

I love the Borderlands games. I’ve been editing this post for 5 minutes trying to explain why it’s so good, but it’s got everything with the loot, skill tree, character classes, etc.

If anything, just buy it so you can hear Mr. Torgue yelling at you.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Seems like a game that's most fun if you have friends to play co-op with. I played the 2nd one and got bored after 5-10 hours or so. It's kind of like a more light-hearted, action packed version of Destiny.

Reactions: HanSolo

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The fire emblem remake comes out tomorrow. Very excited about that. For those who are new to the series, this might not be the game for you. It’s the first game in the series so it’s very straightforward and very focused on the turn based combat. With that said, this game was only released in Japan and I’m very excited to play the first game in the series.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The fire emblem remake comes out tomorrow. Very excited about that. For those who are new to the series, this might not be the game for you. It’s the first game in the series so it’s very straightforward and very focused on the turn based combat. With that said, this game was only released in Japan and I’m very excited to play the first game in the series.
Temper your expectations lol. It's more of a neat collectors item.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
After putting 20 or so hours into Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, I’m ready to throw in the towel. The game has very little fun factor, the weapon upgrade system is atrocious, the camera in close quarters is terrible, and some of the characters you can barely tell what you’re doing cuz there’s so much shit on the screen.

Reactions: sa cyred

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
After putting 20 or so hours into Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, I’m ready to throw in the towel. The game has very little fun factor, the weapon upgrade system is atrocious, the camera in close quarters is terrible, and some of the characters you can barely tell what you’re doing cuz there’s so much shit on the screen.
I only payed the demo so maybe it was fixed in the real game, but as someone who plays handheld 99% of the time, it was unbearable handheld. Insanely blurry. And this is someone who played BOTW handheld and had no issues.

Side note, Monster Sanctuary came out yesterday for switch. Highly rated on Steam. Scratches that pokemon itch pretty well while being something different.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I only payed the demo so maybe it was fixed in the real game, but as someone who plays handheld 99% of the time, it was unbearable handheld. Insanely blurry. And this is someone who played BOTW handheld and had no issues.

Side note, Monster Sanctuary came out yesterday for switch. Highly rated on Steam. Scratches that pokemon itch pretty well while being something different.
The digimon cyber sleuth game is another for Pokémon fans.

Reactions: sa cyred

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think I'm going to give this one a shot. Did you pick it up? If so what are the first impressions!?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I think I'm going to give this one a shot. Did you pick it up? If so what are the first impressions!?
For a $17 game it was worth it for me. I would suggest tempering expectations as in it’s not pokemon but the overall combat, skill tree for each monster and the ability to equip items on monsters is awesome. You can build monsters differently which is really cool and unique. Moving around in the world isn’t bad either. I only just got out of the tutorial stage which was fairly straightforward but a lot of people say the level design gets better as you move on. In the end I would definitely suggest getting it especially for that price.

Reactions: robertmac43

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
@Shareefruck how you finding Hades? I was worried the randomly generated/rogue lite format would turn you off, but the gameplay/art style/story are good enough to make up for it. It’s a great litmus test game to see your tolerance for this type of format.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
@Shareefruck how you finding Hades? I was worried the randomly generated/rogue lite format would turn you off, but the gameplay/art style/story are good enough to make up for it. It’s a great litmus test game to see your tolerance for this type of format.
I'm still stuck in the "acknowledge that it's impressive/lovingly crafted and probably a really good game, but don't find it immediately appealing/addictive so I'm procrastinating to even play it" phase. I bought it, started it, and died a couple of times, but didn't really get anywhere notable yet.

I'm not sure I find that combat style that satisfying yet. There's something about fast, pin-point-accurate movement on an isometric map that has never felt quite natural to me. That's been a bigger barrier for me than the roguelite thing so far (a lot of my favorite games actually are randomly generated rogue-lites I think-- never been clear on how those genre labels work). Downwell and Into the Breach for example.

With Dead Cells it was more that I didn't like the idea of extensive maps, exploration, and progression being randomly generated. For games where the point is less level design and more mastery of mechanics in small isolated challenge rooms, it makes a lot of sense to me for that to be randomly generated (it's like Tetris-esque at that point). Not sure where Hades will land for that, but if it starts to feel massive and sprawling yet random, that might start to get on my nerves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad