Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Was able to beat the duo boss on my 16th playthrough using the gauntlets. Made sure I had speed from Hermes (and endurance boost after you dash) and literally hopped around the whole time. Got upgrades to increase my attack/special. Got wrecked on the 4th level but I just dont think I have enough playthroughs to be strong enough.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Beat the final boss twice now. First was with the sword. Got a good bunch of boons and took the hammer power-up where you heal with sword attacks.

Having a second death defiance also makes a world of difference.

Second run was with the shield. Posidien's dash attack really helps a lot.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Just completed my first complete run earlier this morning with the bow. Pretty damn satisfying.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
For those looking for Prime Day deals, I highly recommend Fire Emblem Three Houses for those into SRPGs. Easily my favourite game on the Switch and it is discounted on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Emblem-...csubtag=[]pl[e]21271647[r]polygon.com[t]w[d]D

Speaking of, I finally put the finishing touches on the game. I've put hundreds of hours into it but I've done all the supports and everything there is to do. I can finally lay the game to rest. I hope the next FE game is just as good as this one, as after the debacle that was Fates, they're back on the right track.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
For those looking for Prime Day deals, I highly recommend Fire Emblem Three Houses for those into SRPGs. Easily my favourite game on the Switch and it is discounted on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Emblem-...csubtag=[]pl[e]21271647[r]polygon.com[t]w[d]D

Speaking of, I finally put the finishing touches on the game. I've put hundreds of hours into it but I've done all the supports and everything there is to do. I can finally lay the game to rest. I hope the next FE game is just as good as this one, as after the debacle that was Fates, they're back on the right track.

I probably won't be able to start it for another few weeks at least, but I picked it up today because it seems like a lot of first party Switch games are hovering around $50 pretty regularly and so should dip to $30 or $40 again if I'm patient (I don't own Odyssey or BotW). FE seems like it's rarely on sale so I just decided to jump on it. I've never played an SRPG but I'm a pretty big fan of JRPGs so I think I'll get into it. I'm excited to get started when I have some time (I may wait until my teaching semester wraps up in the third week of November).

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I probably won't be able to start it for another few weeks at least, but I picked it up today because it seems like a lot of first party Switch games are hovering around $50 pretty regularly and so should dip to $30 or $40 again if I'm patient (I don't own Odyssey or BotW). FE seems like it's rarely on sale so I just decided to jump on it. I've never played an SRPG but I'm a pretty big fan of JRPGs so I think I'll get into it. I'm excited to get started when I have some time (I may wait until my teaching semester wraps up in the third week of November).
First party games very, very rarely go on sale.

Three Houses is a strategy RPG but it feels very Persona-esque too.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, that seemed to be the consensus which is why I just took the plunge. It's been on my radar but due to backlog / time, I figured I'd just wait for a sale. It's feasible that it might be $30 around Black Friday but I didn't want to take the chance, whereas I assume if I really want to splurge on Zelda or Mario, I can probably find it for $40 in the future without too much trouble.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This was released a few months ago and seemed to fly under the radar (I don't think they even bothered featuring it in a direct, did they?). I have no idea if it plays well/interestingly, but I gotta say, as someone who usually thinks that 8-bit retro games like Shovel Knight or half of The Messenger looks unnecessarily ugly and grody (I think replicating the look of old styles for the sake of nostalgia is pointless and that indie games should focus on looking at good as possible, but that strong pixel art often does look better and more tasteful than non-pixel art), this is the first one I've seen where I love the visual aesthetic, art style, and interface look and don't think the fact that it has an 8 bit look hurts it aesthetically.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Just completed my first complete run earlier this morning with the bow. Pretty damn satisfying.

I think the bow and the spear are by far my favourites.

I hit the end credits on the game last night. What a game.

The best way to beat the heroes and the final boss that I've found is get Athena's deflect dash and Hermes' extra dash charges, and then get something that does a damage over time on your attack or special (Ares, Dionysus, or Poseidon). Hit and run tactics.

Zeus' lightning bolt on "near miss" and jolted effect is added gravy, and Hermes movement speed doesn't hurt either.

I had an absolutely sick escape with Exagryph last night. Got the Daedalus upgrade for the triple bomb on the special and used Poseidon's buff for it, including the Razer Shoals for damage over time on knockback and the buffs for extra boss damage and extra wall slam damage. Combined that with the regenerating cast (instead of retrieval) and Zeus' lightning bolt cast and it was insane.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I think the bow and the spear are by far my favourites.

I hit the end credits on the game last night. What a game.

The best way to beat the heroes and the final boss that I've found is get Athena's deflect dash and Hermes' extra dash charges, and then get something that does a damage over time on your attack or special (Ares, Dionysus, or Poseidon). Hit and run tactics.

Zeus' lightning bolt on "near miss" and jolted effect is added gravy, and Hermes movement speed doesn't hurt either.

I had an absolutely sick escape with Exagryph last night. Got the Daedalus upgrade for the triple bomb on the special and used Poseidon's buff for it, including the Razer Shoals for damage over time on knockback and the buffs for extra boss damage and extra wall slam damage. Combined that with the regenerating cast (instead of retrieval) and Zeus' lightning bolt cast and it was insane.
I got a clear with the spear earlier today. The Hangover DoT is superb. I've mainly just been doing weapon runs that give the +20% Darkness for that run. I'm close to getting a run completed with Exagryph. It might take me a bit of some decent RNG of good boons with the sword and then the shield. The fists are dope early on but man I need to just bob in and out with my attacks on the bosses. Sometimes I just get too ahead of myself and just try to wail for a few seconds and it normally ends up doing more harm to me lol

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I got a clear with the spear earlier today. The Hangover DoT is superb. I've mainly just been doing weapon runs that give the +20% Darkness for that run. I'm close to getting a run completed with Exagryph. It might take me a bit of some decent RNG of good boons with the sword and then the shield. The fists are dope early on but man I need to just bob in and out with my attacks on the bosses. Sometimes I just get too ahead of myself and just try to wail for a few seconds and it normally ends up doing more harm to me lol

Hangover or Doom on attack combined with extra dash charges from Hermes is almost essential in a fists run, at least IMO. You can do some serious damage on normal enemies with an awesome buffed up Special (Poseidon with the double slam from Daedalus is particularly awesome) but as soon as you run into the later bosses, you're in trouble if you try to use it. Too slow.

Otherwise, Malphon makes for some awesome runs, but a really tough finish. :laugh:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The Amnesia collection is on sale for 80% off ($7.55 CAD, normally $37.79). I haven't played the Switch version, and haven't played the original since it launched, but it's a great first person, atmospheric horror game where you mainly just run and hide from shit. Best played in the dark with good headphones on to really get immersed.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Some Hades thoughts:

- Artemis is f***ing worthless. The only thing I get that's "Ok" imo, is the Support Fire boon. Everything else is trash. An Epic boon of All attacks, cast, special, have a 4% chance of Critical, are you f***ing kidding me? I'm no math wiz, but you're telling me 96% of the time you get nothing? Wow epic. I could understand 15 or 20 percent, but f***ING 4? Pure garbage.

- I like Poseidons Cast combined with the wall dmg or whatever its called when you knock them against structures. Does a shit ton of dmg and a pretty wide area too.

- Ares is probably my favorite for upgrades. Doom just rapes everyone. Demeter is pretty good too.

- I've cleared most of the weapons up to about Level 9 heat and it's getting hard now. I typically just do the Time Limit handicap and fewer boon choices. But a lot of them are tough. I tried the one where all armored foes have some kind of new ability or whatever, and got completely worked.

- The Guan Yu weapon sucks balls.

- My favorite is probably the gloves with the Aspect that lets your special hit multiple times.

- Does anyone know what, if anything, happens when you max out your bonds with a character? I see you get a little icon next to their keepsake but it doesn't seem to boost it or anything.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
hm. i had serious, SERIoUS issues with the demo in bravely default II... but the video today said that there was a survey (really? why do i always miss these things), and they took a lot of stuff into consideration and fixed it.

now i am tempted again because i really enjoyed the first two.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
hm. i had serious, SERIoUS issues with the demo in bravely default II... but the video today said that there was a survey (really? why do i always miss these things), and they took a lot of stuff into consideration and fixed it.

now i am tempted again because i really enjoyed the first two.
If I saw correctly, it looks like there is going to be a Painter/Artist class?
I swear I saw an attack where a brush was being used and color was being splashed onto the target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad