Confirmed with Link: Nils Lundkvist to DAL for 2023 1st (Top-10 Protected) and 2025 4th (Conditional)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’m a big Kravtsov fan, and I hope he sticks here, but I have a feeling he’s going to get the Amonte treatment. They’re going to let him play with Panarin, rebuild his value, and trade him for veteran depth and grit for the playoff run.

Really happy with this return for Nils, even if he goes on to pull a Zubov in Dallas.
Interesting Kravtsov take. Makes sense. I hope he flourishes with the Rangers but pump-and-dump is certainly a possibility, and maybe the exact best move. He is super talented but in the end, does he realize that talent or remain in the ‘enigma’ box.

Reactions: Synergy27

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Great trade
I like Nils and he will be a good player
But a first in the best draft in 2 decades is crazy.
Wish Nils all the best
2015 was a pretty good draft year. Is this one certain to be better?

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The opening that Nils needs to play to his strengths is there for him in Dallas so it’s very possible he thrives in Dallas. Off his play last year I do think he has strength and defensive issues to overcome but they should lessen with time. I think Nill is too invested in him that there’s much chance he ends in the AHL and Dallas is much stronger on LD than RD options as it is.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
2015 was a pretty good draft year. Is this one certain to be better?
lol no. That;s a bit of hyperbole. But it should be a decent draft. Ranking these draft classes ahead of time, relative to one another, rarely produces an accurate prediction in such things. 2021 draft was supposed to be one of the worst, and as far as I'm concerned, it was still significantly better than 2022, which was supposed to be "very good" leading up to the draft, or if you go back like 2 years, people were saying it's going to be "great" because of Wright and blah blah blah. .Give me Beniers, McTavish, Johnscon, Clarke, Johnston, Raty, Hughes, Edvinsson, Cossa, Walstedt and that 2021 "awful" draft class any day. So many late 1st and 2nd round steals from that one because of all the hype. And maybe even some 3rd and 4th round steals at that.

I am frankly amazed by this return. I thought lundkvist was terrible from what I saw at this level. Nice enough kid I’m sure but I didn’t think he had any business being in the nhl

I agree, I thought we would use him to bring in a young center, but this is just as good. A year ago, I wanted to keep Kravtsov and trade Nils for Kupari or something and everyone was bashing me for it. How the tables have turned.... But I think this return might be even better than Kupari would have been.

Nils just didn't seem to show anything special. Watching him compared to Zac Jones, I thought it was apparent Jones was far better offensively and would end up a far better PP guy and by everything he did in the AHL I would say he's on his way. And Schneider too. When he hit the ice, the difference between him and Nils was apparent.

I'm sure Nils will do better in Dallas anyway. Less pressure, more room for him without a ton of young top D on his back. I honestly think he would be perfect alongside Heiskanen, who is very good, but hasn't been as much of a point producer as maybe some would have hoped. But he's terrific defensively and very responsible. Might be ideal partner really for Nils. Lucky the pick is next year because with Johnston, Stankoven and Bourque coming in, that team could be flying in a couple years time. Even next year they might do very good as Oettinger really looks like a stud in goal.

Now just have to hope Stars lose just enough games so we get the highest pick possible without losing it "conditionally".

Last edited:
Reactions: hackeyman

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Of course we don't know what the situation is at the trade deadline (if we are contending and a great piece with retention is available for a first I'm not against that move, preferably our first). But I agree with many posters before that it would be very smart keeping the two firsts for the draft. There are so many options, could even trade the later one to move up depending who is available. I understand there are some excellent centers projected in the top 10?

This is the year we finally draft a young, future top line center in the draft..... I tell myself knowing full well Drury will likely draft a gritty LW and a LD. lol.

Really though, I hope we keep the picks and draft a center. Even if they just turn out to be our future 2nd line center, as I am still very skeptical of Chytil having a future in that role, and it will have been put to good use. Trocheck can move down to 3C as he ages, and Chytil can move to the wing or .... well somewhere else I suppose.

Reactions: Circus86

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yeah, the post you were questioning specifically mentioned a top-4 D.
I am not talking about adding a top 4 D. The Rangers top 4 is set. The Rangers need Soucy or Sanheim as a 5/6 D. One of those players should cost a 2nd and a prospect based on the Manson trade. The post I was questioning discussed trading a #1 pick for a D. The Rangers don't have the cap space for that type of player.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Small point but if Lundkvist plays on the Dallas #1 PP unit, which he may as a shooter from the top of the circle with Heiskenen as the other defenseman and Pavelski, Benn and Seguin up front, he may pile up the points with Pavelski’s tipping ability. That seems like a possible path towards high point totals.
Imagine Lundkvist (D), a player that should barely be playing NA pro hockey at any level based on his performance last season and his attitude, having more PP points, on a worse team, than Lafreniere (F), because Gallant has brain damage and refuses to put the single most important player to the franchise's future on PP1 like any other team in the league would do.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I worry less about young centers these days frankly when you have Mika and Trocheck signed for 7 8 years. Don’t see why chytil can’t be the third guy

One of these picks will be going in a trade at the deadline. The other will go to the bpa on the draft board. Would like it to be a center but bpa more important

Reactions: TominNC

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
lol no. That;s a bit of hyperbole. But it should be a decent draft. Ranking these draft classes ahead of time, relative to one another, rarely produces an accurate prediction in such things. 2021 draft was supposed to be one of the worst, and as far as I'm concerned, it was still significantly better than 2022, which was supposed to be "very good" leading up to the draft, or if you go back like 2 years, people were saying it's going to be "great" because of Wright and blah blah blah. .Give me Beniers, McTavish, Johnscon, Clarke, Johnston, Raty, Hughes, Edvinsson, Cossa, Walstedt and that 2021 "awful" draft class any day. So many late 1st and 2nd round steals from that one because of all the hype. And maybe even some 3rd and 4th round steals at that.

I agree, I thought we would use him to bring in a young center, but this is just as good. A year ago, I wanted to keep Kravtsov and trade Nils for Kupari or something and everyone was bashing me for it. How the tables have turned.... But I think this return might be even better than Kupari would have been.

Nils just didn't seem to show anything special. Watching him compared to Zac Jones, I thought it was apparent Jones was far better offensively and would end up a far better PP guy and by everything he did in the AHL I would say he's on his way. And Schneider too. When he hit the ice, the difference between him and Nils was apparent.

I'm sure Nils will do better in Dallas anyway. Less pressure, more room for him without a ton of young top D on his back. I honestly think he would be perfect alongside Heiskanen, who is very good, but hasn't been as much of a point producer as maybe some would have hoped. But he's terrific defensively and very responsible. Might be ideal partner really for Nils. Lucky the pick is next year because with Johnston, Stankoven and Bourque coming in, that team could be flying in a couple years time. Even next year they might do very good as Oettinger really looks like a stud in goal.

Now just have to hope Stars lose just enough games so we get the highest pick possible without losing it "conditionally".
I don’t know why so many been so in on Kupari. I don’t hate the guy but he really hasn’t shown anything in NA or been really outstanding at any level… real puzzler. He will be 23 this season and has been a big meh. Has he been that highly rated? I don’t see anything special there.
Other than that I agree with much of what you are saying.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
There is no way I’d include Chytil and a mid round 1st to move up unless its for Bedard, Michkov, or Fantilli.

Still betting on a Kakko breakout over here.
Dont get me wrong that's why I said a move to a top 5 pick and only if they see that top 20 player potential.

I worry less about young centers these days frankly when you have Mika and Trocheck signed for 7 8 years. Don’t see why chytil can’t be the third guy

One of these picks will be going in a trade at the deadline. The other will go to the bpa on the draft board. Would like it to be a center but bpa more important
Give it 3 orv4 seasons including this upcoming one. Well be looking to move on from one or both and be thrilled if we have a top c already moved up the lineup so it's easier to ship someone out. Hopefully not but we see it all the time here

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Imagine Lundkvist (D), a player that should barely be playing NA pro hockey at any level based on his performance last season and his attitude, having more PP points, on a worse team, than Lafreniere (F), because Gallant has brain damage and refuses to put the single most important player to the franchise's future on PP1 like any other team in the league would do.

It's not brain damage. It's what works works. We're no longer in a stage of throwing shit at a wall. Those who have been on power play 1 are really good at what they do and Gallant is doing what most all coaches in his place would because his own job security is predicated on winning games, securing playoff spots and playoff positioning not experimenting when he doesn't have to. Both Panarin and Zibanejad often work the left side of the power play. Panarin along the wall and Zibanejad likes to set up for his shot at the top of the left wing circle. Kreider in front of the net to screen, tip or bang in rebounds. Fox and Panarin being our two highest IQ players creating plays. The weakest link has been Strome but even Ryan was pretty good. Who replaces Strome on power play 1 is a question now and if it were me I'm certainly open to Lafreniere or Kakko being the guy but it wouldn't surprise me if it were Trocheck. That said whoever it finally comes down to if it continues to be one of the best in the league I'm not going to complain.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

There's nothing in the organization at center besides Mika and Trocheck, though, and at 29 years old each, the time was yesterday to get high end level replacements into the organization. They are both on longer deals than they will see the end of, yes that may be 4-5 years down the line but they won't both make it to 7-8.

Draft a couple guys this season and in 3-4 years they are ready for top 6 roles. You have like a year or two overlap, not a bad problem to have.

Man, getting up for Michkov would be perfect.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
There's nothing in the organization at center besides Mika and Trocheck, though, and at 29 years old each, the time was yesterday to get high end level replacements into the organization. They are both on longer deals than they will see the end of, yes that may be 4-5 years down the line but they won't both make it to 7-8.

Draft a couple guys this season and in 3-4 years they are ready for top 6 roles. You have like a year or two overlap, not a bad problem to have.

Man, getting up for Michkov would be perfect.

That’s not really true they’ve drafted a few project centers the last couple seasons. Honestly if you had a center ready right now he’d be pulling a lundkvist to get out of here

Reactions: effen

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It's not brain damage. It's what works works. We're no longer in a stage of throwing shit at a wall.

Playing your first overall pick who oozes more talent in his left foot than Trochek has in his whole body isn't "throwing shit at a wall," though.

Lafreniere's offensive development is absolutely critical to this organization. If the power play were to drop from top 5 this season to top 10 instead, it's a worthwhile sacrifice. It's not like we are going to miss the playoffs; Igor will carry us there on his back even if Panarin gets hit by a truck tomorrow.

Stubbornly clinging to veterans in these roles - and Trocheck is hardly Artemi Panarin or Adam Fox there - is really unjustifiable, just like it was with Strome.

Those who have been on power play 1 are really good at what they do and Gallant is doing what most all coaches in his place would because his own job security is predicated on winning games, securing playoff spots and playoff positioning not experimenting when he doesn't have to.

He will quicker win a Cup by growing his young stars' offensive abilities. An enlightened GM would point out to Gallant that his job is in no immediate danger (and would mean it) and would stress to him the longer game that the organization should be playing.

I don't buy win-now philosophies for the most part anyway, because everyone is shortsightedly doing it, and about 98% of them fail. But even if I did, I would reject that the difference between Lafreniere and Trocheck on PP1, when surrounded by Fox, Panarin, Zibanejad, and Kreider, is anything meaningful anyway.

It's just a security blanket.

Far too many coaches fall back on old cliches instead of exhibiting any insight because it's "safe."

Last edited:
Reactions: OriginalLimbo

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
That’s not really true they’ve drafted a few project centers the last couple seasons. Honestly if you had a center ready right now he’d be pulling a lundkvist to get out of here

I am not counting on third and fourth round picks like McConnell-Barker and Korczak, or even Karl Henriksson.

Picks in those ranges should be pencilled in as future AHLers and maybe, if they are super successful, bottom sixers someday.

Every once in a while you hit the jackpot and one of those players becomes great, but, it's like a thousand to one.

And if we had a center ready right now we wouldn't have signed Trochek to a super expensive deal and we'd have way more flexibility. We don't; even Chytil isn't ready and it's his 5th year in the league.

If anything that should tell you all the more that the time is now, if we are going to be drafting in the late first, to start selecting centers. And in 3-5 years is when they will be ready.

We have two 29 year olds. By time they are 34, one of them is going to need replacing, if not both, if not sooner. We all love Zibanejad but he has some injury issues, one of them being concussion related.

This draft is loaded; we have to draft with these picks. We can't go back to 2012-15 NY Rangers where we blew all our assets on a team that was good but not great, added older guys like Marty St. Louis (Patrick Kane) but then never quite got over the hump. That is the current trajectory I see this team on by the way. A very good team but not quite good enough to beat the dynasty-level teams like the Kings or Lightning (or todays Avalanche or Lightning). I'd also like a window longer than 3-4 years like the 2012-15 Rangers had. Which means it's vital to keep hitting on your draft picks (and to keep making them instead of trading them away for rentals).

Reactions: Off Sides

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Honest question: for all the talk about undersized defensemen, why does it never, ever come up about Ryan Lindgren?

I could throw Lindgren like a football and I don't think anybody even notices how small he is.

To me, and it's why I love Lindgren, he'll constantly punch above his weight class every shift and he's actually good at it. He certainly leverages whatever size he does have because he has that tenacity. But Lindgren's game is polar opposite to Lundkvist, we all know that.

I have 0 issue with undersized defensemen, but if you're not fast, not physical, not clearly more mobile than your larger counterparts but apparently have a great shot (which I rarely saw, maybe I missed some) - that's a tough case for an undersized guy. (in my opinion, that's my eye test with no fancy charts and I'm getting older so maybe my eyesight is going too lol)

In saying all that, I was actually hoping we kept Lundkvist because he's still young and I think there's more than meets the eye right now. But our return for him has softened the blow for me :)

Reactions: Off Sides

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Eh, far too early to claim he's a bust at this level.

It is too early, but the knowledge we got from last season is that with Nils's shortcomings, there is a rather higher order of probability that he busts out of the league than we thought there was after his award winning season in Sweden.

His style of play has not adapted well to North America yet at all.

He's also a triggerman that is gonna keep getting shoe-horned into a PPQB position that he doesn't quite have the legs or the brain for, in my opinion.

Regardless of the trade request, I think Zac Jones has a higher chance of becoming a success at the NHL level. I know of course it's easy to say that now, but I really thought he outperformed Nils last year. Both in preseason and in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad