Confirmed with Link: Nils Lundkvist to DAL for 2023 1st (Top-10 Protected) and 2025 4th (Conditional)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They moved around a bunch of picks at the deadline and they replenished basically everything they sent out with picks in stronger drafts with out giving up much of any consequence.

Yeah this next draft is supposed to be deep, they can choose to use that 1st round pick either at the TDL to acquire some talent to go on a potential deep playoff run or actually draft two players. So, love the options here.

Reactions: Rongomania

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Ths time, if there's an Elias Peterson at 7ish, I hope they just move up to get him. Dont eff around. Move up and get the best c you possibly can. Shit I'd gladly move kakko, chytil, a d prospect, a 1st to get in the top 5 if they think a c has top 20in the league potential

And I like kakko and chytil a lot. I wanted us to try a 4-5 year deal w both. But neither should get in the way of going up to get an elc potential superstar c
If there’s anyway to move up to 3. This would be the draft to do it. I’d package both firsts and Chytil for 3oa.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
@mas0764 wellness check.

This is a mid to late pick though IMO. Oettinger's playoff performance was ridiculous. He's one of, if not the best goalie in the world. He literally looked like a 6'5 220lbs Shesty.
I already weighed in, I’m fine with it. I’ve been calling to move Lundkvist for a center for a while. This isn’t Wyatt Johnson but our handling of Nils, let’s say, hasn’t increased his value.

An extra first in this loaded draft class is what we need to get that Brayden Point-like non-Top 5 drafted impact center. Whether by taking two stabs at it or by packaging the picks to get up and get one sure fire stud.

Reactions: Off Sides

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I mean I'm content with the return, I think that's fair market value for a guy who struggled.

But more than anything I'm just happy that the situation is concluded.

Hope Nils busts like Honka before him.

Reactions: nyr2k2

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
@mas0764 wellness check.

This is a mid to late pick though IMO. Oettinger's playoff performance was ridiculous. He's one of, if not the best goalie in the world. He literally looked like a 6'5 220lbs Shesty.

Its one thing to do that over 7 games and another to do that over an entire season.

I think he's really good too, but the bigger sample size to this point suggests that he isn't on that God tier. Not yet anyway.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Extra assets for the deadline. What teams that are contending will have multiple 1s this upcoming draft? The Rangers will be able to outbid any team in terms of trade assets this deadline to get exactly what is needed.

If they need that elite RW to add to the offense, they can do it. If they want to add another top 4 defender to solidify the defense, they'll be able to do that. They should be able to get replacements in case of injury as well.

There is no team better positioned for the playoffs that the Rangers currently. Tampa lost players. Colorado lost players. Carolina didn't replace Trocheck and got older. Florida went from an elite defense to one injury away from being bottom 10. Calgary is older. Edmonton isn't better/worse. St. Louis might be the one team that is better since Krug is back.

Can't rule out Tampa and Colorado being able to get back, but beyond that, the Rangers are the team that can take the next step the easiest.

Reactions: leetch99

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Extra assets for the deadline. What teams that are contending will have multiple 1s this upcoming draft? The Rangers will be able to outbid any team in terms of trade assets this deadline to get exactly what is needed.

If they need that elite RW to add to the offense, they can do it. If they want to add another top 4 defender to solidify the defense, they'll be able to do that. They should be able to get replacements in case of injury as well.

There is no team better positioned for the playoffs that the Rangers currently. Tampa lost players. Colorado lost players. Carolina didn't replace Trocheck and got older. Florida went from an elite defense to one injury away from being bottom 10. Calgary is older. Edmonton isn't better/worse. St. Louis might be the one team that is better since Krug is back.

Can't rule out Tampa and Colorado being able to get back, but beyond that, the Rangers are the team that can take the next step the easiest.
Did the salary cap disappear?

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I have no ill will towards the kid. I hope he plays well for Dallas and gets those 55 points.

He could still be a great defensemen too. The Rangers are just the wrong organization at the wrong time for him with the players we have. I still wish we could have used him on the team this year in case of injuries though.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Also wouldn't blow all the draft picks on rentals either...can't really do that in the NHL these days and have it be sustainable, especially when you have a lot of big contracts on your books anyways. You have to keep drafting players you can bring up into the lineup for cheap to provide depth and improvement. Hard to do that if you always trade your first rounders.

I would assume the Rangers do trade one of them at the deadline but hopefully not both (not really sure how they'd do that and fit new players under the cap, as mentioned)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s almost like Drury knows what he’s doing. Gasp.

LOL, yeah scary thought, huh? Like I said above it gives them options. Can use that 1st to upgrade at the TDL or keep it and draft twice in the 1st round in a very deep draft.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
The Rangers will use at least one of these picks in a trade before the 2023 draft, just accept it now, you will feel better.

Not saying it will be for Kane, but he will also open up more cap room at the deadline, if needed. Blais and Reaves are easy moves to a cap dump team if needed, both ufa gone after this season.

What do Chytil and Kakko look like in another 60 games? Rangers had luck with basically no major injury last season during the regular season, maybe someone gets hurt, and goes on LTIR to open up the space.

Enjoy the ride for the first 60 games before things get serious.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Did the salary cap disappear?
Nope, but having 4.4M in deadline cap space is more than enough when teams will retain. I also wouldn't put it past Drury to move players up and down in order to pick up small amounts of space each day. Most of the contenders will have 0 deadline dollars. Will need money in/money out moves or have more players on LTIR.

Considering all the other contenders are sitting with players on LTIR, the only team that has space + assets to make moves is Colorado, and the Rangers have more assets than they do. These other teams are dealing with significantly more constraints than the Rangers are currently.

It has less to do with what they have and more to do with what the teams around them don't have.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Did the NHL and NHLPA agree to raise the upper limit by $5M for this season because the Rangers are adding numerous players at the trade deadline? The Rangers don't have much cap flexibility with a 22 player roster and less $1M in cap space.
If they have an injury-free season, that becomes more than $4 million at the deadline. With double-retention, that's enough to fit in just about anyone. Of course they won't be injury-free, so it will be less than that. But even so, teams right up against the cap make trades at the deadline. It happens.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Honest question: for all the talk about undersized defensemen, why does it never, ever come up about Ryan Lindgren?

I could throw Lindgren like a football and I don't think anybody even notices how small he is.

Lindgren used to be like 205 lbs. He dropped like 15 lbs and it improved his skating which is why hes able to take a regular shift now. Plus he doesn't play small which helps him in terms of perception though it'll hurt him in terms of career longevity.

He's small-ish, but in your face and he has the wheels to make it work. Small isn't necessarily bad, small and not evasive is pretty much a death sentence and thats what Nils is.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
This is a very good trade. I think it'll be a win-win trade.

Nils without Nemeth and in the top 4 and with the first PP unit will most likely look very good.

But we had no room for him with Fox there. And Fox and Trouba together gives us arguably the best top 4 RD unit in the league.

Also putting Nemeth who played as an ECHL player next to him was just dumb AF.

I hope he does well for them!

Reactions: UnSandvich

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I think if the Rangers make a large addition at the deadline, it will be for another top 4 defenseman. We saw what happened when Lindgren went out against PIT last year. You need 7-8 capable defenseman minimum to win a Cup

could definitely be the, or one of, the moves made. hard to know right now, lot of uncertainties this year. the degree to which the kids break out or dont will have a major impact on where were sitting / what our needs might be up front. on d agree never a bad idea to add depth, could def see taking a run at one of the bigger names there. and then theres injuries to worry about...we got pretty lucky last year all things considered. other than igor being out for the like 6 weeks we werent down any critical pieces for any significant time. really hope that repeats.

Reactions: McRanger92

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Ths time, if there's an Elias Peterson at 7ish, I hope they just move up to get him. Dont eff around. Move up and get the best c you possibly can. Shit I'd gladly move kakko, chytil, a d prospect, a 1st to get in the top 5 if they think a c has top 20in the league potential

And I like kakko and chytil a lot. I wanted us to try a 4-5 year deal w both. But neither should get in the way of going up to get an elc potential superstar c

This is the best draft since 2015 at least.

I’d rank Kakko 9th at worst when comparing value. There is no way I’d include Chytil and a mid round 1st to move up unless its for Bedard, Michkov, or Fantilli. I wouldn’t do that deal for Carlsson, Dvorsky, Yager, Danielson, or Ritchie.

Still betting on a Kakko breakout over here.

Reactions: bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad