2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 20 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

razor ray

May 8, 2011

Powers asks 9 different draft experts their opinion on who the Hawks should take between Demidov and Levshunov. Only Corey Pronman picks Lev.
Pronmans theory has always been if value is basically equal go with the the defenseman. I would assume that is why he would go D. With the needs for Chicago at RW and RD I would go Demidov and, if possible, trade up to get one of these RD as its rare to have so many high level D in the draft:
1715462086056.png

I think any of the teams from 7 to 15 would consider moving their pick for the right haul and this might be the year for Chicago to aggressive to get the RD they need. Especially if moving Jones is being considered.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Pronmans theory has always been if value is basically equal go with the the defenseman. I would assume that is why he would go D. With the needs for Chicago at RW and RD I would go Demidov and, if possible, trade up to get one of these RD as its rare to have so many high level D in the draft:
View attachment 869043
I think any of the teams from 7 to 15 would consider moving their pick for the right haul and this might be the year for Chicago to aggressive to get the RD they need. Especially if moving Jones is being considered.
If we take Demidov, I do hope the Hawks can land a Jiricek, Elick, Emery, Badnarick with one of their other picks. Maybe use a couple of seconds (along with 20th overall) and move up if someone like Yak falls to the mid teens.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
Higher likelihood he goes top 10 than him making it to 20.

I could see a team like Ottawa taking him at 7.

We're going to see a run of D taken off the board.

Lev, Buium, Silayev, Parekh, Dickinson, Yakemchuk. They're all gonna fly off the board.

I agree. I think there's a chance that Yakemchuk goes shockingly high. This draft will be must watch TV.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm no good at making predictions, but I think the 1st round could look something like this:

1. SJS - Macklin Celebrini
2. CHI - Anton Silayev
3. ANA - Ivan Demidov
4. CBJ - Sam Dickinson
5. MTL - Cayden Lindstrom
6. UTH - Artyom Levshunov
7. OTT - Zayne Parekh
8. SEA - Zeev Buium
9. CGY - Tij Iginla
10. NJD - Beckett Sennecke
11. BUF - Berkly Catton
12. PHI - Carter Yakemchuk
13. MIN - Cole Eiserman
14. SJS - Konsta Helenius
15. DET - Michael Brandsegg Nygard
16. STL - Trevor Connelly
17. WSH - Liam Greentree
18. NYI - Michael Hage
19. VGK - Igor Chernyshov
20. CHI - Nikita Artamonov
21. LAK - Andrew Basha
22. NSH - Adam Jiricek
23. TOR - Terik Parascak
24. ANA - Alfons Freij
25. COL - Sacha Boisvert
26. OTT - Charlie Elick
27. MTL - Dean Letourneau
28. CAR - Miguel Marques
29. CGY - Ryder Ritchie
30. PHI - Teddy Stiga
31. DAL - Emil Hemming
32. NYR - Maxim Massé

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I'm no good at making predictions, but I think the 1st round could look something like this:

1. SJS - Macklin Celebrini
2. CHI - Anton Silayev
3. ANA - Ivan Demidov
4. CBJ - Sam Dickinson
5. MTL - Cayden Lindstrom
6. UTH - Artyom Levshunov
7. OTT - Zayne Parekh
8. SEA - Zeev Buium
9. CGY - Tij Iginla
10. NJD - Beckett Sennecke
11. BUF - Berkly Catton
12. PHI - Carter Yakemchuk
13. MIN - Cole Eiserman
14. SJS - Konsta Helenius
15. DET - Michael Brandsegg Nygard
16. STL - Trevor Connelly
17. WSH - Liam Greentree
18. NYI - Michael Hage
19. VGK - Igor Chernyshov
20. CHI - Nikita Artamonov
21. LAK - Andrew Basha
22. NSH - Adam Jiricek
23. TOR - Terik Parascak
24. ANA - Alfons Freij
25. COL - Sacha Boisvert
26. OTT - Charlie Elick
27. MTL - Dean Letourneau
28. CAR - Miguel Marques
29. CGY - Ryder Ritchie
30. PHI - Teddy Stiga
31. DAL - Emil Hemming
32. NYR - Maxim Massé
Pass , Silayev is the same player that Vlasic is and we picked him the the 2nd rd not 2nd overall. Demidov could be Datsyuk , Kane or Kucherov .

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Pass , Silayev is the same player that Vlasic is and we picked him the the 2nd rd not 2nd overall. Demidov could be Datsyuk , Kane or Kucherov .
Silayev could be Chara.

If Demidov could be Datsyuk, Kane, or Kucherov he'd be a lock for 1st overall. Instead there are scouts on Bob's list who have him as low as 5.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Depends where the Hawks view Levshunov vs Demidov. If they view those guys the same for sone reason, tie probably goes to the defenseman since it's going to be a run of them in the draft and they can draft a Greentree/Hage type player at #20.

If I were a betting man though, they view Demidov higher (as they should), they'll pick him, and hope someone like Jiricek drops to #20 which would be A ok with me.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Jones can't go anywhere without huge salary retention.
Potentially, but over the years we have witnessed some crazy trades and top pairing D hold a lot of value. With the cap going up I could see a contending team considering Jones at 8.5 or even 9 mill for 6 years. He also mentioned he does not want to stay for a rebuild so I would think he would be more flexible with his NMC if a team is contending.

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
Silayev could be Chara.

If Demidov could be Datsyuk, Kane, or Kucherov he'd be a lock for 1st overall. Instead there are scouts on Bob's list who have him as low as 5.

If Datsyuk could be Datsyuk he would have been 1st overall and not....pick #171.

If Kucherov could be Kucherov he would have been 1st overall and not....pick #58.

If Panarin could be Panarin he would have been....well shit I don't know, maybe 1st overall and not....pick# oh wait he was undrafted.

It's not always immediately apparent with these guys, especially Russians it seems.

Edit: Dangit I forgot about Kaprizov!

DemiGod

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
Here we go

2) Demidov
11) Yakemchuk (Skinner for AA trade)
20) Nygard
34) Mews or Badinka
This would be a dream scenario.

Demidov: player with the highest ceiling in the draft.
Nygard: power forward C/W like Kreider
Two RHD: Yakemchuk (6'3" 30 goals this season) rough gem defense and Badinka (6'3" 33 SHL games) dynamic and physical defense.
Mews: Defense to develop. Skilled, intelligent player learning the position.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
This would be a dream scenario.

Demidov: player with the highest ceiling in the draft.
Nygard: power forward C/W like Kreider
Two RHD: Yakemchuk (6'3" 30 goals this season) rough gem defense and Badinka (6'3" 33 SHL games) dynamic and physical defense.
Mews: Defense to develop. Skilled, intelligent player learning the position.
Sign me up

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
what about a scenario where they draft defense at 2 and then move up from 20 into the 10-15 range for Cole Eiserman if he slips into that Caufield range

Cold Steel on Ice

Feb 12, 2020
Take Solberg at 20.Need some nastiness for the playoffs eventually.He is rising fast.Second round take forwards with size that can grind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad