Confirmed with Link: Nils Lundkvist to DAL for 2023 1st (Top-10 Protected) and 2025 4th (Conditional)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think all, or most of those players Tampa traded for had a year or more left?

So sure, if the player has a contract a team can fit for a year or more, and they are good, sure.

Kane and such do not really fit into that.
Savard was a pending UFA. Coleman and Goodrow had an additional year. Hagel multiple years.

All I know is everything I've seen since Drury has taken over tells me the Rangers are going to do whatever they can to maximize their chances this year. I'd be less surprised if in June they had no first rounder than having two.

Reactions: bobbop

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Its too bad McDonagh has 3 years left after this one at $6.750 AAV, otherwise he would be a great deadline target with NSH retaining.

Anyways. The Rangers deadline cap space sits at $4.42 Million as it stands today. CapFriendly has them listed with 13 forward and 7 D. There are ways to get a little more breathing room. Heck they could put Goodrow on IR to bank some space in the beginning of the year if he is not ready to go for the demands of the NHL season. Let Goodrow sit for 3-4 weeks.

I see the Rangers putting their own 1st round pick in a deal at the deadline. They are in it to win it and they would still have DAL 1st.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Savard was a pending UFA. Coleman and Goodrow had an additional year. Hagel multiple years.

All I know is everything I've seen since Drury has taken over tells me the Rangers are going to do whatever they can to maximize their chances this year. I'd be less surprised if in June they had no first rounder than having two.

I am not in total agreement.

I believe they'll let this season play out. If injuries, or lack of development among the youth require them to trade a 1st they might.

Yet if not, I think they might just shore up their depth with better players than say Reaves, Carpenter, Hunt, Hajek etc.

We'll see I guess.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I am not in total agreement.

I believe they'll let this season play out. If injuries, or lack of development among the youth require them to trade a 1st they might.

Yet if not, I think they might just shore up their depth with better players than say Reaves, Carpenter, Hunt, Hajek etc.

We'll see I guess.
Yeah, I think more people would agree with you than me.

Reactions: Off Sides

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Yeah, I think more people would agree with you than me.
I would not be surprised to see them rent either.

More, I am unsure if at that time they'll believe they will need a top 6F or a top 4D, (both) with this team in my opinion, who knows.

I think Miller will continue to make strides. (I have him as my most improved player this year even more so than last)

I believe Jones has a decent chance to an option for the playoffs too as a rookie. Schneider as well. (unpopular, I think Jones will actually be a better all around player, yet as a pair they might make a good 3rd pair)

My guess for the deadline, it will come down to the forwards who either take the wheel or do not. Yet most teams add a vet defender so I would not be surprised there either. I think all of Krav, Kakko, Laff, Chytil have game, yet warts. Not sure I see them being Zbad/Panarin/Kane, etc, yet I see them as being good enough as secondary players to Zbad/Panarin/etc without needing Kane...

Renting someone who they can get cheaper than using a 1st on, I think that will be their first idea.

Anyway, again we'll see.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Don't really have an interest in bringing in a player that can potentially take over a kid's spot only because of his age.
Don't see why it would even be necessary. I'm assuming Jones gets significant time this season, partnering Schneider possible. I'm pretty sure he's part of our future top 4 anyway, with Fox, Schneider after Trouba is gone and Miller.

I would not be surprised to see them rent either.

More, I am unsure if at that time they'll believe they will need a top 6F or a top 4D, (both) with this team in my opinion, who knows.

I think Miller will continue to make strides. (I have him as my most improved player this year even more so than last)

I believe Jones has a decent chance to an option for the playoffs too as a rookie. Schneider as well. (unpopular, I think Jones will actually be a better all around player, yet as a pair they might make a good 3rd pair)

My guess for the deadline, it will come down to the forwards who either take the wheel or do not. Yet most teams add a vet defender so I would not be surprised there either. I think all of Krav, Kakko, Laff, Chytil have game, yet warts. Not sure I see them being Zbad/Panarin/Kane, etc, yet I see them as being good enough as secondary players to Zbad/Panarin/etc without needing Kane...

Renting someone who they can get cheaper than using a 1st on, I think that will be their first idea.

Anyway, again we'll see.

I think Jones is going to see significant time before the playoffs even. I really do believe he's their future PP2 QB. And what he did in the A last season was great. Not sure if he will be better than Schneider, but I do think they make an ideal pair and probably would be our 2nd pairing down the road, 3rd pairing near future. They are complimentary players, two different styles. Miller, not sure at what point, but I think he pairs Fox long term.

Reactions: Off Sides

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Its too bad McDonagh has 3 years left after this one at $6.750 AAV, otherwise he would be a great deadline target with NSH retaining.

Anyways. The Rangers deadline cap space sits at $4.42 Million as it stands today. CapFriendly has them listed with 13 forward and 7 D. There are ways to get a little more breathing room. Heck they could put Goodrow on IR to bank some space in the beginning of the year if he is not ready to go for the demands of the NHL season. Let Goodrow sit for 3-4 weeks.

I see the Rangers putting their own 1st round pick in a deal at the deadline. They are in it to win it and they would still have DAL 1st.
You don’t bank $ when a player is on IR

Reactions: Boris Zubov and RGY

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
But LTIR?
Nope. Players on IR or LTIR still count in full against the cap.

IR simply opens a roster spot. LTIR opens a roster spot, and allows the team to exceed the cap depending on how much they are spending at the time the player is placed on LTIR and how much that player makes.

LTIR cap space can't be banked.

Edit: I should clarify that teams with players on IR or LTIR can still bank money, but only the money that they are under the regular cap. If the cap allows the team to spend 500k per day and the team is only spending 480k per day, they are banking 20k per day. Putting a player on IR or LTIR doesn't change that. However, if a player is called up to fill that roster spot, then obviously the amount being banked will go down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides and RGY

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Chychrun is a bad fit here anyway. He's a really good goal scorer on the PP. He does it a lot from getting in close or between the circles. We have those spots filled and he wouldn't do that here but they'd still have to pay like he would.

Reactions: mas0764 and bhamill

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Chychrun is a bad fit here anyway. He's a really good goal scorer on the PP. He does it a lot from getting in close or between the circles. We have those spots filled and he wouldn't do that here but they'd still have to pay like he would.
If we are replacing Lindgren, it better be with a bigger, more offensively gifted Lindgren. Maybe Robertson becomes that. If so, great. But either way I think I'd be on the lookout for it in the draft.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
But LTIR?
Same

If we are replacing Lindgren, it better be with a bigger, more offensively gifted Lindgren. Maybe Robertson becomes that. If so, great. But either way I think I'd be on the lookout for it in the draft.
Good thinking on both points. Robertson's growth would help on what would be a very difficult decision to move Lindgren. If the Rangers keep the second first next year, I expect one of their goals would be to find a left-handed Schneider.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The bigger problem is going from a player used on the top pairing LD, to a rookie who you hope could become that, or what you're looking for. But there's going to be a wait for that to happen and you can't expect Robertson to step in and become that immediately. So it's tough to just swap out Lindgren.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The bigger problem is going from a player used on the top pairing LD, to a rookie who you hope could become that, or what you're looking for. But there's going to be a wait for that to happen and you can't expect Robertson to step in and become that immediately. So it's tough to just swap out Lindgren.
Totally. I wasn't suggesting it's going to happen this year. It may not happen for many years, but it's always good to have depth.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Personally I have no interest in a Chychrun deal, at least not at the cost of Kakko or anything more. Basically a rental at this point that we couldn’t sign in the off season if we are signing KAM and Laf, unless we shed other key players. He’s not a need and simply not worth it. Coming off a bad year. Either he has another and is maybe affordable, but do we want him then, or bounces back and we cant afford him. Honestly Kakko is poised to take a step which hopefully quells all the talk of trading him.

Reactions: mas0764

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Did Chychrun's value increase? Hes got 1 less year left on his deal and is coming off a terrible year. Think McDonagh trade. Hell, their cap hits and contract status are nearly identical to when we traded McDonagh to Tampa
I think you might have undervalued his cost.

Kakko is certainly not going to fetch a young top pair defenseman at under 5M, and certainly not with ARZ eating half his contract for 3 years.

Kakko and a Dallas' first might get the ball rolling (probably still need to add), but you are going to have to add that late first if you want them eating 50% of the contract.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think you might have undervalued his cost.

Kakko is certainly not going to fetch a young top pair defenseman at under 5M, and certainly not with ARZ eating half his contract for 3 years.

Kakko and a Dallas' first might get the ball rolling (probably still need to add), but you are going to have to add that late first if you want them eating 50% of the contract.

Rangers have the pieces that get it done, and so far no one has been willing to pay Arizona’s price. It will come down by March

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I imagine Lindgren plays two more years and walks. Self rental. If Robertson AND Jones both find their way as LDs (like say Lindgren is injured) then they might have the confidence to flip Lindgren before his contract expires that is very unlikely. I'm hoping Hajak has a good camp and we can flip him for a 4th somewhere. Don't imagine him getting more than that.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don’t know why so many been so in on Kupari. I don’t hate the guy but he really hasn’t shown anything in NA or been really outstanding at any level… real puzzler. He will be 23 this season and has been a big meh. Has he been that highly rated? I don’t see anything special there.
Other than that I agree with much of what you are saying.
Their guys are always terrific. Our guys are always slobs.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I was playing around with cap friendlys Armchair GM last night - admittedly pretty drunk after receiving my good test results. I (barely) fit in some fan favorite deadline acquisitions as in 1) Chychrun at 50% (Lindgren was part of our package), 2) Kane at 50%, 3) Tyler Motte and 4) a vet D (Luke Schenn) at league minimum. Cupboard was pretty bare after that frenzy though… Not happening - but it was a lotta fun.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Chychrun is damaged goods and a bit high-maintenance. Until he can prove he can stay healthy and succeed in a tough market in meaningful games, it’s best to avoid him. Consider me cautious after thinking Lindros and Bure would magically heal simply by putting on a Rangers jersey.

Keep the picks and prospects and let Schneider, Jones, Robertson, Skinner, Emberson, Hajek, etc. duke it out for the bottom pairing.

Rangers won a Cup with a bottom-pairing rotation of Wells, Lidster, and Karpovtsev. All came cheap. You don’t need five No. 1’s or 2’s to win a Cup.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
I was playing around with cap friendlys Armchair GM last night - admittedly pretty drunk after receiving my good test results. I (barely) fit in some fan favorite deadline acquisitions as in 1) Chychrun at 50% (Lindgren was part of our package), 2) Kane at 50%, 3) Tyler Motte and 4) a vet D (Luke Schenn) at league minimum. Cupboard was pretty bare after that frenzy though… Not happening - but it was a lotta fun.
Liked for both the good test results and creativity

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
32T podcast

Elliotte Freidman said the Stars had been trying to acquire Lundkvist for the last 7-8 months. Marek said the Stars had a deal worked with the Red Wings for the 30th pick in the 2018 draft and the Stars were planning to select Lundkvist with the 30th pick. The Rangers took Lundkvist with the 28th pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad