Confirmed with Link: Nils Lundkvist to DAL for 2023 1st (Top-10 Protected) and 2025 4th (Conditional)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To me, and it's why I love Lindgren, he'll constantly punch above his weight class every shift and he's actually good at it. He certainly leverages whatever size he does have because he has that tenacity. But Lindgren's game is polar opposite to Lundkvist, we all know that.

I have 0 issue with undersized defensemen, but if you're not fast, not physical, not clearly more mobile than your larger counterparts but apparently have a great shot (which I rarely saw, maybe I missed some) - that's a tough case for an undersized guy. (in my opinion, that's my eye test with no fancy charts and I'm getting older so maybe my eyesight is going too lol)

In saying all that, I was actually hoping we kept Lundkvist because he's still young and I think there's more than meets the eye right now. But our return for him has softened the blow for me :)
If you're saying a guy is not physical and not mobile, and can't really shoot, then you're kind of just saying he sucks. He could be 6'7" and that player would still suck.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Honest question: for all the talk about undersized defensemen, why does it never, ever come up about Ryan Lindgren?

I could throw Lindgren like a football and I don't think anybody even notices how small he is.

It should be discussed. There are certain things that Lindgren, were he Trouba's size, would be able to do that he cannot.

Combine that with his lack of offensive instincts and that's a big reason why I consider him a #4 at best. I think Miller has officially surpassed him.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
If you're saying a guy is not physical and not mobile, and can't really shoot, then you're kind of just saying he sucks. He could be 6'7" and that player would still suck.

I'm saying from what I saw in his cup of tea I wasn't impressed with him. I saw someone who seemed overwhelmed and not ready. I didn't see anything as advertised with him. However I'm not some pro scout - just what I saw.

I don't even dislike Nils, hence why I was leaning more towards keeping him. As time would go on and playing time increased, maybe you see more of what he really is as he gets more comfortable.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
There's nothing in the organization at center besides Mika and Trocheck, though, and at 29 years old each, the time was yesterday to get high end level replacements into the organization. They are both on longer deals than they will see the end of, yes that may be 4-5 years down the line but they won't both make it to 7-8.

Draft a couple guys this season and in 3-4 years they are ready for top 6 roles. You have like a year or two overlap, not a bad problem to have.

Man, getting up for Michkov would be perfect.
Michkov isn't a center.

Chytil will be a very good 3rd line center this year and should fill in nicely if there are injuries. That said, yes, we do need a least one high end center prospect.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
It's not brain damage. It's what works works. We're no longer in a stage of throwing shit at a wall. Those who have been on power play 1 are really good at what they do and Gallant is doing what most all coaches in his place would because his own job security is predicated on winning games, securing playoff spots and playoff positioning not experimenting when he doesn't have to. Both Panarin and Zibanejad often work the left side of the power play. Panarin along the wall and Zibanejad likes to set up for his shot at the top of the left wing circle. Kreider in front of the net to screen, tip or bang in rebounds. Fox and Panarin being our two highest IQ players creating plays. The weakest link has been Strome but even Ryan was pretty good. Who replaces Strome on power play 1 is a question now and if it were me I'm certainly open to Lafreniere or Kakko being the guy but it wouldn't surprise me if it were Trocheck. That said whoever it finally comes down to if it continues to be one of the best in the league I'm not going to complain.
Strome isn't here anymore so the what worked works thing doesn't fly anymore. And besides that Strome was just about useless on PP1. Look at his PP numbers. Lafreniere could have easily replicated what Strome did. Strome barely took the faceoffs on that unit anyway. He was only there as a Gallant and Panarin pet.

The debate is Lafreniere on PP1 over Trocheck. Lafreniere should be on PP1.

Can't advocate for Trocheck to be on PP1 instead of Lafreniere who scored 19 EV goals (more than Trocheck). Lafreniere earned the chance to be on PP1 as he was one of the teams top EV scorers despite getting bounced around the lineup.

If the team f***s up Lafreniere and denies him the opportunities that a number one overall pick should be getting, they may as well stop drafting. What's the point. It's laughable that they are purposefully denying the single most important player to this franchise's future the opportunities to succeed that he'd be getting on literally every other team in the league. And then we wonder why people call him a bust. Because he will never reach his potential getting denied upward progression.

This team is not winning a Stanley Cup before Lafreniere becomes what he can become. It's a fact. Even with Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, and gang around.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'm saying from what I saw in his cup of tea I wasn't impressed with him. I saw someone who seemed overwhelmed and not ready. I didn't see anything as advertised with him. However I'm not some pro scout - just what I saw.

I don't even dislike Nils, hence why I was leaning more towards keeping him. As time would go on and playing time increased, maybe you see more of what he really is as he gets more comfortable.

It went wrong for him because he had a cup of tea, when he should have had a cup of coffee. Someone should have told him.

• Love
Reactions: Unpredictable1

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Strome isn't here anymore so the what worked works thing doesn't fly anymore. And besides that Strome was just about useless on PP1. Look at his PP numbers. Lafreniere could have easily replicated what Strome did. Strome barely took the faceoffs on that unit anyway. He was only there as a Gallant and Panarin pet.

Can't advocate for Trocheck to be on PP1 instead of Lafreniere who scored 19 EV goals (more than Trocheck). Lafreniere earned the chance to be on PP1 as he was one of the teams top EV scorers despite getting bounced around the lineup.

If the team f***s up Lafreniere and denies him the opportunities that a number one overall pick should be getting, they may as well stop drafting. What's the point. It's laughable that they are purposefully denying the single most important player to this franchise's future the opportunities to succeed that he'd be getting on literally every other team in the league. And then we wonder why people call him a bust. Because he will never reach his potential getting denied upward progression.

This team is not winning a Stanley Cup before Lafreniere becomes what he can become. It's a fact. Even with Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, and gang around.
Lol, it's not easy to start a post with the first sentence (premise ?) that's a wrong take. Strome was not the driving force behind the Rangers successful PP as you are acknowledging further down - i.e. contradicting yourself in the same post.

The key ingredients of the PP remain in place and will continue to stay in the same posts, i.e. Lafreniere / Trocheck won't replace Zibanejad on the left wall or Kreider in front of the net etc. So the only place remaining is the bumper spot that Strome used to occupy. And the reasons he was on PP and in this specific spot are 1. he's a C, he's right-handed and he's a pretty good passer. These were the criterions and this is something that Gallant would be looking at. Right or wrong based on this Trocheck can be expected to get the first shot at replacing Strome (and him having a solid PP experience doesn't hurt his chances either).

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

You cant say what worked on PP1 doesn't apply anymore, if Strome was useless - thats a contradiction. The other 4 players are still the same.

And Strome did a lot of good things recovering pucks and positioning himself perfectly in that bumper spot to open lanes. He may have not had the sparkling numbers to back it up but to say he was useless is a ridiculous statement. The PP was 3rd in Net% in the entire league. They stuck with the same unit the entire year and all 5 players contribute to that stat.

Could Laf have been in that spot? Maybe - but Strome took the 2nd most PP Faceoffs on the team, second to Mika, something Laf wouldn't have. That's one of the reasons. Strome is also RH which factors into it considering where everyone was on the ice. Gallant may want to keep that mix since Trocheck is also RH.

Mika took 225 to Stromes 46 and had a winning % which is something you can hang your hat on if you think Laf will take Stromes spot - maybe Gallant doesnt want to mess with that and leaves Mika there, because if Trocheck is on PP1, he is the one - not Mika taking draws.

Trochek took 87 PP draws to Aho's 172 in Carolina. I dont know what the units were there but im pretty sure Trocheck was on PP1. More importantly, Trocheck took 175 SHFO out of 514 in the defensive zone. Thats where you need him most.

I agree with your premise that Lafreniere should be given a PP1 spot. But theres something else at play here that isnt being mentioned.

Its the contract that Stutzle got, with all of that PP1 time. Its a very convenient problem to have just "too many skilled veterans" on PP1 to thrust Lafreniere in that spot FULL TIME - at least until they get his bridge deal out of the way next summer (or if they are lucky enough a long term deal for significantly less than Stutzle's 8.3).

My prediction is they will give Lafreniere some PP1 time, and maybe even a permanent spot later in the year. They will start with a mix of guys "vying" for the spot, Chytil included. If Laf signs long term its his spot to lose

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I am not talking about adding a top 4 D. The Rangers top 4 is set. The Rangers need Soucy or Sanheim as a 5/6 D. One of those players should cost a 2nd and a prospect based on the Manson trade. The post I was questioning discussed trading a #1 pick for a D. The Rangers don't have the cap space for that type of player.
Tampa has been up against the cap for the last number of years and they have traded away five first rounders at the last three deadlines, so I'm not sure I follow the argument.

If the Rangers are adding a D, I'm sure they'd prefer one that could step into the top-4 if something goes wrong, even if they lineup lower than that when everyone is healthy.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

If you reread I think I said i’d prefer Lafreniere or Kakko over Trocheck. All that out of the way though I’m retired and staying that way. I’m not interested in doing Gallant’s coaching for him. That’s his job.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
If you reread I think I said i’d prefer Lafreniere or Kakko over Trocheck. All that out of the way though I’m retired and staying that way. I’m not interested in doing Gallant’s coaching for him. That’s his job.
Yea lol I mean there's nothing we can do but complain about it on a message board. It's just aggravating that this franchise never learns from its mistakes.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yea lol I mean there's nothing we can do but complain about it on a message board. It's just aggravating that this franchise never learns from its mistakes.

Maybe not by every metric but by most metrics and the most important stat of all for me which is wins to losses last year was a very successful year for the Rangers. 22-23 will be my 51st year as a Rangers fan. Started in 71-72 and the one things that matters most to me when thinking/speaking about my hockey team is winning and I don't like to argue with success. There may be times when we win where maybe we don't play as well as the other team but that also cuts two ways--games that you play better and you lose but even then winning more than losing of those you don't play so well is often a good sign.....the team finding a way.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Tampa has been up against the cap for the last number of years and they have traded away five first rounders at the last three deadlines, so I'm not sure I follow the argument.

If the Rangers are adding a D, I'm sure they'd prefer one that could step into the top-4 if something goes wrong, even if they lineup lower than that when everyone is healthy.
How much money did Goodrow, Coleman and Hagel make? TB acquired Savard from Columbus and the Wings were involved as the 3rd team.

The Rangers will have not much cap flexibility. They should go for a defenseman over another pricey forward. How many big moves do the Rangers have available to them with less than $1M in cap space to start the season. They can't add money for next season.

Soucy or Sanheim.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
How much money did Goodrow, Coleman and Hagel make? TB acquired Savard from Columbus and the Wings were involved as the 3rd team.

The Rangers will have not much cap flexibility. They should go for a defenseman over another pricey forward. How many big moves do the Rangers have available to them with less than $1M in cap space to start the season. They can't add money for next season.

Soucy or Sanheim.

If Kravtsov plays well on Panarin's wing I could see them dangling Kakko for Chychrun @ 50%

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah, exactly the point. Good players on cheap contracts are valuable at the trade deadline. So saying the Rangers don't have the cap space to trade their first rounder is nonsensical.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If Kravtsov plays well on Panarin's wing I could see them dangling Kakko for Chychrun @ 50%
You would have to give up a hell of a lot more for him, especially if they are eating 50%. Starting adding the 2 first round picks in.

Huge pass from me. Our Top 4 defense is solid enough. Esp with Igor behind them.

Reactions: bhamill

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Yeah, exactly the point. Good players on cheap contracts are valuable at the trade deadline. So saying the Rangers don't have the cap space to trade their first rounder is nonsensical.
I think all, or most of those players Tampa traded for had a year or more left?

So sure, if the player has a contract a team can fit for a year or more, and they are good, sure.

Kane and such do not really fit into that.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You would have to give up a hell of a lot more for him, especially if they are eating 50%. Starting adding the 2 first round picks in.

Huge pass from me. Our Top 4 defense is solid enough. Esp with Igor behind them.

Did Chychrun's value increase? Hes got 1 less year left on his deal and is coming off a terrible year. Think McDonagh trade. Hell, their cap hits and contract status are nearly identical to when we traded McDonagh to Tampa

Reactions: bleedblue94 and RGY

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4