Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Fox is currently 2nd among defenseman and 5th in the league in power play points. It will take a lot to take his spot on the first unit, and rightfully so.
The last 2 weeks of the season showed that Fox is not Gretzky on defense. He had a stretch of about a dozen games where he went nuts scoring with Mika. Fox is a great dman but not a great number 1 pp dman. Nils definitely has potential to be better.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
The last 2 weeks of the season showed that Fox is not Gretzky on defense. He had a stretch of about a dozen games where he went nuts scoring with Mika. Fox is a great dman but not a great number 1 pp dman. Nils definitely has potential to be better.
Sorry dude but this is such an egregious take that basically noone here would agree with. Fox was arguably the best pp qb in the league this year so if Nils is somehow better he’d have to be better then the best lmao.

Reactions: dapowl and Leetch3

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
We will see who is laughing. I am thinking around Christmas of this year you will be eating some humble pie to go with your turkey dinner. :teach2:
Don’t think he will ever get the chance to unseat fox on PP1. As crazy as it sounds fox could have 10-15 more points if some guys finished better. I’m sure lundkvist has a better shot then fox right now, but the PP is set up for fox to dish to Zibby or panarin mainly. Fox taking the shot from the point is the last option.
I think Lundkvist is trade bait mainly for 3 reasons. It sucks because he can max out as a top pair D but he’ll never get the minutes to with Fox in the fold. The rangers have 4 smaller D in Fox, Lindgren, lundkvist and Jones. All guys are 5”10 and under. All of the can move the puck, some better then others. Of those 4 lindgren plays the biggest game and uses his body the most. Plus his chemistry with Fox, he’s going no where. And he has room to improve.
I am 99% certain the rangers want big mobile guys who can defend and skate.. they have Fox that’s mr. Everything he s going no where. Neither is lindgren for at least 2-3 years, same with a trouba. That leaves miller, Nils, Schneider, Jones, and Robertson for 3 spots.
Robertson and Schneider are both huge and proved they are both above average when moving the puck. The fact that they can do that plus their size, reach, and ability to play a real physical game makes me think they are both a sure thing for 4-6 D while they are young and learning. They fit the in house mandate.
Miller who finished the year a little rocky Still overall had an excellent rookie season. He also has the size, reach and wheels that the rangers want on the backend.
That leaves Lindkvist and Jones. Both smaller players who have the puck on their stick a lot. lundkvist is the far more polished players, he’s a more complete D currently and his value is sky high after setting record in the SHL. He is also older then jones. If Jones hits his ceiling he can become they better of the 2 but their are no guarantees.
Right now I doubt highly we will see a top 6 that features Lundkvist, Jones, and Fox in it.
I think Lundkvist is the piece currently that could be available that would bring back the most in trade,

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Don’t think he will ever get the chance to unseat fox on PP1. As crazy as it sounds fox could have 10-15 more points if some guys finished better. I’m sure lundkvist has a better shot then fox right now, but the PP is set up for fox to dish to Zibby or panarin mainly. Fox taking the shot from the point is the last option.
I think Lundkvist is trade bait mainly for 3 reasons. It sucks because he can max out as a top pair D but he’ll never get the minutes to with Fox in the fold. The rangers have 4 smaller D in Fox, Lindgren, lundkvist and Jones. All guys are 5”10 and under. All of the can move the puck, some better then others. Of those 4 lindgren plays the biggest game and uses his body the most. Plus his chemistry with Fox, he’s going no where. And he has room to improve.
I am 99% certain the rangers want big mobile guys who can defend and skate.. they have Fox that’s mr. Everything he s going no where. Neither is lindgren for at least 2-3 years, same with a trouba. That leaves miller, Nils, Schneider, Jones, and Robertson for 3 spots.
Robertson and Schneider are both huge and proved they are both above average when moving the puck. The fact that they can do that plus their size, reach, and ability to play a real physical game makes me think they are both a sure thing for 4-6 D while they are young and learning. They fit the in house mandate.
Lindgren is 6'0, and also very physical

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Lindgren is 6'0, and also very physical
Yes I know but I’m making the point he’s not like the other behemoths 6”4, 6”4 6”3 and 6”5 all going to be playing around 220lbs or better. That’s some serious grade A beef on the backend, all capable of being dangerous in transition.

Last edited:

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Miller who finished the year a little rocky Still overall had an excellent rookie season. He also has the size, reach and wheels that the rangers want on the backend.
That leaves Lindkvist and Jones. Both smaller players who have the puck on their stick a lot. lundkvist is the far more polished players, he’s a more complete D currently and his value is sky high after setting record in the SHL. He is also older then jones. If Jones hits his ceiling he can become they better of the 2 but their are no guarantees.
Right now I doubt highly we will see a top 6 that features Lundkvist, Jones, and Fox in it.
I think Lundkvist is the piece currently that could be available that would bring back the most in trade,
Agreed that Lundkvist holds a lot of value.
You don’t think Lindgren became available with that new extension?

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Yes agree with much of what you say as it makes sense; however, most likely Lundkvist gets to play starting next year and if he is as good as he has shown in SHL I don’t see how they can trade him unless something massive coming back. If you have 2 awesome players you should not automatically get rid of 1. They are not exactly the same either. Size and handedness is the same, but so what? I guess Rangers looking for size and toughness, but can get that from other positions too. If Nils can score like he did this year in a Rangers uniform, he ain’t going nowhere and he will be on the number 1 pp eventually.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yes agree with much of what you say as it makes sense; however, most likely Lundkvist gets to play starting next year and if he is as good as he has shown in SHL I don’t see how they can trade him unless something massive coming back. If you have 2 awesome players you should not automatically get rid of 1. They are not exactly the same either. Size and handedness is the same, but so what? I guess Rangers looking for size and toughness, but can get that from other positions too. If Nils can score like he did this year in a Rangers uniform, he ain’t going nowhere and he will be on the number 1 pp eventually.
Could be but If he does is expect it to be in a trigger man position so they could use that laser beam he has. Not running at the top of the umbrella. But anything’s possible

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Agreed that Lundkvist holds a lot of value.
You don’t think Lindgren became available with that new extension?
If they deal lindgren, I wouldn’t expect it to be for at least 2 years. He’s still growing as a player as well and already proved he can play well in a first,second, or 3rd pair if he’s asked. That’s a pretty rare thing for a guy to be counted on like that. I think I’m in the minority, but it’s my opinion the rangers hold lindgren in tremendous regard. They are going to be in no rush to move him as he is young battle tested and the exact type of player they want. He’s just not as big as the other guys, though he plays a far more in your face game then miller does on the left

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York
This may sound like heresy, but Lundy will likely never be as good as Fox overall, but with that shot, he'll likely score more goals, not points mind you, just goals.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
This may sound like heresy, but Lundy will likely never be as good as Fox overall, but with that shot, he'll likely score more goals, not points mind you, just goals.
This is def a fair take. The crazy shot is like the one thing Fox is missing, but it takes more then a great shot from the point to run the powerplay. Will be a great asset on the pp2... or Buffalos first unit :sarcasm:

Reactions: Lone Ranger

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
We have an emabarassment of riches.
From our small sample size (a few NCAA, a few NHL) , it seems Jones has that innate ability to get pucks on net from long.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is def a fair take. The crazy shot is like the one thing Fox is missing, but it takes more then a great shot from the point to run the powerplay. Will be a great asset on the pp2... or Buffalos first unit :sarcasm:

Does anyone still want Eichel? I know you have the sarcastic smiley but the guy rubs me the wrong way.

Reactions: CLW

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Does anyone still want Eichel? I know you have the sarcastic smiley but the guy rubs me the wrong way.
Depends on what we give up I guess. Absolutely no chance I’d do someone like Lafreniere or Kakko. If Nils was apart of it I wouldn’t be too upset because of all the defenseman we have coming up

Reactions: jay from jersey

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I'd rather acquire Couturier and Ekholm in 2 separate trades than Eichel in a big one. This team (IMO) needs balance more than it needs another superstar. For all the assets it takes to acquire Eichel, I just don't see the appeal.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If they deal lindgren, I wouldn’t expect it to be for at least 2 years. He’s still growing as a player as well and already proved he can play well in a first,second, or 3rd pair if he’s asked. That’s a pretty rare thing for a guy to be counted on like that. I think I’m in the minority, but it’s my opinion the rangers hold lindgren in tremendous regard. They are going to be in no rush to move him as he is young battle tested and the exact type of player they want. He’s just not as big as the other guys, though he plays a far more in your face game then miller does on the left
Yeah. Lindgren is part of the solution, not the problem.

Reactions: wolfgaze

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah. This isn’t basketball ;) Height is great of course but not necessarily an end in itself. Lindgren is tough as nails. I certainly wouldn’t put him in the small defenseman basket. Actually a guy like Miller kind of plays smaller than Lindgren even though he’s much bigger.
Yea, I just using it as an example. Those guys are going to cover a lot of passing lanes with their wing spans and deflect a lot of shot. The old Adage you can’t teach size certainly applies to Defenseman in the NHL still. Miller will never be as physical as lindgren even with 5 more inches and 30 pounds heavier. But it sure as hell helps with the wear and tear on your body. Being bigger is def better in that regard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad