Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I hope Trouba is ready to be playing 12 minutes a night against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines.

pretty costly if he does. Yet if this team happens to one day make the playoffs he’s going to play a bigger role. I just don’t see surviving without a blend of size and skill. Vs an Islanders, Carolina, etc team a kid like Nils may quickly realize this ice surface isn’t too wide and pretty small.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I hope Trouba is ready to be playing 12 minutes a night against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines.
sorry, F'y, i think this ain't realistic, or best for NYR
understood its fun to throw shade

Trouba's heavy lifting made last season's career seasons for ADA and Fox possible;
this season, too, he carried heavy freight
Merging in Lundkvist then Schneider over next couple seasons may balance out the icetime,
Trouba is a key resource, and especially against top lines, and will a key piece of the D scheme for multiple upcoming seasons

Reactions: egelband and bobbop

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Trouba's heavy lifting made last season's career seasons for ADA and Fox possible;
Merging in Lundkvist then Schneider over next couple seasons may balance out the icetime,
Trouba is a key resource, and especially against top lines, and will a key piece of the D scheme for multiple upcoming seasons

Well I'm not trying to throw shade, but if Lundkvist turns out to be as good as advertised, Trouba will be the rangers third best right handed defenseman.

12 mins is an exaggeration, for sure, but he likely won't be seeing as heavy a responsibility.

It's a very, very good situation to be in. The defense sucks right now, but if they stay the course and let the kids develop, it could be the league standard in 2-3 years.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
... if Lundkvist turns out to be as good as advertised, Trouba will be the rangers third best right handed defenseman ... he likely won't be seeing as heavy a responsibility.
It's a very, very good situation to be in. The defense sucks right now, but if they stay the course and let the kids develop, it could be the league standard in 2-3 years.

more balanced icetime, through the regular season, for both Fox and Trouba, will be a valuable development as NYR become a playoff contender

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
pretty costly if he does. Yet if this team happens to one day make the playoffs he’s going to play a bigger role. I just don’t see surviving without a blend of size and skill. Vs an Islanders, Carolina, etc team a kid like Nils may quickly realize this ice surface isn’t too wide and pretty small.
Costly in that they are paying him big money for few minutes? It is a sunk cost so the point is irrelevant. Need to play whoever gives the best chance to win. If Trouba is only worthy of 12 minutes then that is actually great as that means others are better and earning less. You may be right that a big body like Trouba will be more useful in a playoff game, but probably not by much.

As for ice surface size, I think many European players actually enjoy the smaller surface more. Things happen quicker and the good players adapt pretty easily. The higher skilled ones put up more points too as demonstrated by overall higher point totals in the NHL vs the KHL and SHL. Plus, if Nils can make it to the show he will be playing with better players. This will also help to make him a better player as he can learn from and with the best. I haven't been this excited for a dman prospect since Cale Makar. Not the same upside, but I think he has potential to be better than Kris Letang. He looks a lot like Letang when he plays.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Costly in that they are paying him big money for few minutes? It is a sunk cost so the point is irrelevant. Need to play whoever gives the best chance to win. If Trouba is only worthy of 12 minutes then that is actually great as that means others are better and earning less. You may be right that a big body like Trouba will be more useful in a playoff game, but probably not by much.

As for ice surface size, I think many European players actually enjoy the smaller surface more. Things happen quicker and the good players adapt pretty easily. The higher skilled ones put up more points too as demonstrated by overall higher point totals in the NHL vs the KHL and SHL. Plus, if Nils can make it to the show he will be playing with better players. This will also help to make him a better player as he can learn from and with the best. I haven't been this excited for a dman prospect since Cale Makar. Not the same upside, but I think he has potential to be better than Kris Letang. He looks a lot like Letang when he plays.

the cap is not irrelevant and will become more relevant as the kids mature and earn more dollars. That is, unless Trouba is moved.

One thing is for sure, come playoff time the ice shrinks and this Rangers team needs more grit to open up the ice. Like what i read about Nils and so many prospects while the team needs more grit to balance out the attack. This current makeup is not working.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
the cap is not irrelevant and will become more relevant as the kids mature and earn more dollars. That is, unless Trouba is moved.

One thing is for sure, come playoff time the ice shrinks and this Rangers team needs more grit to open up the ice. Like what i read about Nils and so many prospects while the team needs more grit to balance out the attack. This current makeup is not working.
The cap is not irrelevant, it is how they dole out playing time that is irrelevant. Trouba will be paid either way, unless they find some fool GM to take him off the Rangers hands. Or add assets to get rid of the albatross contract. If he is here though it doesn't matter what he is being paid. Any coach should play whoever gives the team the best chance to win regardless of how much they are being paid. This includes looking towards the future. So now that the Rangers are eliminated they should play some of the kids a bit more to help them develop and for the coaching staff to evaluate them during play at the highest level. Too bad Nils couldn't play a few games here and play at the Worlds.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
shoots like Panarin. Should take K'Andre's spot on PP2
More like Fox's spot on pp1.

And that is what fans should want as that would mean he is clearly better. No offense to Adam, who is Norris Trophy caliber in every way except for his shot. Not only does Nils have a great shot, it appears he can pass just as well as Fox and create offense at least at a comparable level. It only remains to be seen if he can translate it to NHL ice. I am more than confident that he can and will begin his NHL journey to stardom, starting in October 2021.

Only 5 months away. In the meantime looking forward to watching him at the World Championships.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

And that is what fans should want as that would mean he is clearly better. No offense to Adam, who is Norris Trophy caliber in every way except for his shot. Not only does Nils have a great shot, it appears he can pass just as well as Fox and create offense at least at a comparable level. It only remains to be seen if he can translate it to NHL ice. I am more than confident that he can and will begin his NHL journey to stardom, starting in October 2021.

Only 5 months away. In the meantime looking forward to watching him at the World Championships.

Lolololololol

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

Fox is currently 2nd among defenseman and 5th in the league in power play points. It will take a lot to take his spot on the first unit, and rightfully so.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Also lindgren. This guy gets so disrespected it’s not even funny. I bet If he saw steady PP time he would have had about 40 pts too. We have better options and we don’t need him to be offensive but he’s certainly capable

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

I love his shot, passing, and how he plays positionally sound. I’m very wary that he will be pushed around and out muscled a lot by teams like the isles, bruins, caps, canes, etc. trouba does much much more then most realize. I don’t want lundkvist to be just a better version of Pionk that wilts when the play gets rough

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
today is the first day i worry about him signing w NYR ... the people he knew are not the people who can sign him

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad