Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Fox, TDA, Trouba, Nils, Schneider (only Fox is playing)

Harvey, Syndergaraad, DeGrom, Matz (only DeGrom is here)

Wilson, Pulse, Izzy (yikes)

Some might be baseball names yet i think we’ve all recognized a surplus of names is only a surplus of players if they are on the field.

Let’s hope our Rangers have a talent log jam in the future b/c as of today only one is playing for the Rangers.
Yesterday, I texted 2 friends who like me are Rangers-Mets fans. Wrote. "should we call Georgiev 'Harvey' and Igor 'deGrom' or should we go opposite?"

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You cant have 3 right dmen in your system

the Rangers drafted Schneider because he was by far the bpa on their board and they love the total package.

Without him lundkvist is your only right d nhl prospect.

Schneider was a fine pick but there were so many center prospects I preferred over him. Nothing against Schneider.

In 3-4 years, he can step in and replace Trouba

Reactions: Cag29

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't think people truly grasp how well Lundqvist has played since being drafted because he is kind of 'out of sight, out of mind' but when looking at someone like Adam Fox who was incredibly highly touted coming out of college as a junior let's look at his stats:

D+1 = 40 points in 35 games in the NCAA
D+2 = 28 points in 29 games in the NCAA
D+3 = 48 points in 33 games in the NCAA

Now Lundqvist
D+1 = 11 points in 48 games in the SHL (including playoffs)
D+2 = 31 points in 45 games in the SHL
D+3 = 24 points in 42 games so far in the SHL

The SHL is a clearly superior league to the NCAA

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Have you watched the playoffs?

Those teams have been filled with huge guys on the back end. Taking away time and space is more important than being able to do the flashy BS. I wouldn't call Schneider 'unskilled" either, he isn't some stiff meat shield ala Mattias Samuelsson, he's a Defense first guy who can move pucks up ice and has an underrated offensive tool kit, those guys end up being a huge part of a winner. Much better suited to deal with the rigors of the NHL (and especially the post season) than someone like Nils is.

I like Nils, but hes an undersized 2nd pair PP defenseman at best in this league. He is not Adam Fox
I bet he has a better shot than Fox. I think he will be very good player. AmazingKreiderman said what he did recently on the Swedish National team was a great accomplishment. Played close to 30 minutes. I’m excited about him.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I bet he has a better shot than Fox. I think he will be very good player. AmazingKreiderman said what he did recently on the Swedish National team was a great accomplishment. Played close to 30 minutes. I’m excited about him.

I think Adam Fox is a phenomenal player. But he is not a threat to shoot from the point on the PP and when he's at the top of the umbrella, I think it allows other teams to key on Bread and Zib as trigger men. What Lundkvist has is a very hard shot from the point that he can get off very quickly. While I think Adam Fox might be a better all around offensive player, I think Lundkvist's skill set might be a better fit for our top PP unit.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think Adam Fox is a phenomenal player. But he is not a threat to shoot from the point on the PP and when he's at the top of the umbrella, I think it allows other teams to key on Bread and Zib as trigger men. What Lundkvist has is a very hard shot from the point that he can get off very quickly. While I think Adam Fox might be a better all around offensive player, I think Lundkvist's skill set might be a better fit for our top PP unit.

Fox reminds me a lot of Rick Nash in that he is great at even strength but his skillset just doesn't really work well on the PP.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Let’s keep this in context though. @Amazing Kreiderman thinks all you need to do to be a great player is have a high takeaway:giveaway ratio. ;)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Odd, I feel like Fox is a great PPQB. Guy can keep pucks in at the blueline just as good as anyone, he can walk the line just as good as anyone, his passes are pinpoint, and he can get his shot through better than most. Only thing he doesn't have is some sort of cannon from the point, but having a good wrist shot that gets through and can be deflected is just as good.

Maybe if our PP forwards weren't god awful so far (Mika/Kreider/Stome) than he would be racking up a lot more points.

Our PP has been awful, but he is the least of our problems on it.

Last edited:

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Great Post!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Odd, I feel like Fox is a great PPQB. Guy can keep pucks in at the blueline just as good as anyone, he can walk the line just as good as anyone, his passes are pinpoint, and he can get his shot through better than most. Only thing he doesn't have is some sort of cannon from the point, but having a good wrist shot that gets through and can be deflected is just as good.

Maybe if our PP forwards weren't god awful so far (Mika/Kreider/Stome) than he would be racking up a lot more points.

To me at least, it's just felt like he's not been as dynamic a playmaker as DeAngelo when we still had him. Not as good at moving the other team around, if that makes sense (which probably comes down to the fact that DeAngelo is a better skater).

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I don't think people truly grasp how well Lundqvist has played since being drafted because he is kind of 'out of sight, out of mind' but when looking at someone like Adam Fox who was incredibly highly touted coming out of college as a junior let's look at his stats:

Now Lundqvist

We’re all optimistic and all hope to see him produce and play well here. Agree, it might be tough to grasp b/c sometimes the hype coming out of Europe doesn’t always transfer to NHL ice. I hope it does.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
To me at least, it's just felt like he's not been as dynamic a playmaker as DeAngelo when we still had him. Not as good at moving the other team around, if that makes sense (which probably comes down to the fact that DeAngelo is a better skater).

IMO, Fox appears cerebral and similar to Leetch whereas TDA appears to have more of a Paul Coffey to him.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
That's a decent way of putting it, even if Fox doesn't have anything like Leetch's skating ability

well yeah, and TDA can’t fly like Coffey. I think it’s safe to claim Fox/Leetch is a pretty balanced defender with a nice offensive upside whereas TDA/Coffey is pretty forgetful at times defensively yet can crank up the offense.

Team looks better defensively while the power play is hurting. It’s obvious what is missing on both ends.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

I would agree that he's not THE problem however with the Rangers setup right now it would seem to me someone like Lundkvist who has a cannon would be a better fit simply because it opens up another avenue of attack. Right now the only true one-time threat is the pass from Strome to Zibanejad or Panarin, whoever is on the left wall at the time. Sometimes the bumper but the Rangers don't use it enough. With Lundkvist actually being a threat up top teams would have to respect it and it could open up more room through that seam in the middle.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Now Lundqvist

I’m not too worried about point production for Lundkvist, but it’s interesting that his raw numbers are down from last year. Or is it? I don’t claim to have the context.

Fox went down in year two but crushed his D+3. Why shouldn’t we have expected Nils to be pushing 40 points this year?

I do see that that would put him in the conversation for top scoring defenseman. He’s currently top 10. I have no issues with any of this, just curious is anyone has additional context.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
After we claim Luke Schenn and re-sign him to a 1yr $1.5M overpaid deal next year, he will be standing there on the PP over Lundkvist with Quinn as bench boss.
iu

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
IMO he slows things down too much. It’s good in all other situations, but you kind of want the PP to be quick moving controlled chaos. Being slow gives the PKers time to react and adjust. He’s otherworldly at keeping the puck in the zone and walking the line, which is a good PP skill but ideally he’s complimenting someone who can rip it as well

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad