Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
TDA was always going to be on the chopping block. Even without him, we still have 4 major RHDs in the system. Fox, Trouba, Lundkvist, and Schneider. It’s why trading up and drafting Schneider made so little sense. Maybe the plan is to use one of them as a piece for a 1C or a 1LHD or something, but even ignoring TDA there’s still a logjam at RD.

I think you're ignoring or missing the clear intention with that pick here.

They don't want to run with a group of tiny D. I don't want them to either.

Reactions: Kovalev27

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I think you're ignoring or missing the clear intention with that pick here.

They don't want to run with a group of tiny D. I don't want them to either.

Disagree. Schneider isn’t a skilled defenseman. This is a skilled league now. You can’t be suiting up unskilled big guys anymore. If you had to choose between a skilled midget and a physical monster without skill, whom do you pick? I mean Kreider is what you get with regards to forwards, and we all know the player he is. Lundkvist’s size is similar to Fox’s. How many defensemen in thd league would you pick over Fox?

If Schneider were like a Miller, it would be one thing. Schneider doesn’t have the skill Miller does. If Schneider were a LHD, I’d be thrilled with the pick. Ignoring Trouba since his contract can’t be moved, if you had to pick 2 out of Fox, Lundkvist, and Schneider, are you really picking Schneider? I just don’t see it. And he’s one of the oldest players in the draft so he has a lot more time and he’s a lot more mature and a lot closer to being ready.

Reactions: Makar27

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Disagree. Schneider isn’t a skilled defenseman. This is a skilled league now. You can’t be suiting up unskilled big guys anymore. If you had to choose between a skilled midget and a physical monster without skill, whom do you pick? I mean Kreider is what you get with regards to forwards, and we all know the player he is. Lundkvist’s size is similar to Fox’s. How many defensemen in thd league would you pick over Fox?

If Schneider were like a Miller, it would be one thing. Schneider doesn’t have the skill Miller does. If Schneider were a LHD, I’d be thrilled with the pick. Ignoring Trouba since his contract can’t be moved, if you had to pick 2 out of Fox, Lundkvist, and Schneider, are you really picking Schneider? I just don’t see it. And he’s one of the oldest players in the draft so he has a lot more time and he’s a lot more mature and a lot closer to being ready.

Schenider was probably Canada's best player in their last few games of the tournament, he was literally everywhere vs USA in the gold medal game. He prob takes another 2-3 years before signing with the big club. I'd guess he starts in Hartford for a year before coming to the team. By then Trouba's NMC is a m-NTC and he only has a year or two left

Reactions: Cag29 and Kovalev27

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021

you are underestimating Schneider's skill set. He's a big guy who can skate, move the puck and pitch in on the scoreboard. I look forward to seeing what he can do at the NHL level.

Reactions: egelband and Cag29

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Have you watched the playoffs?

Those teams have been filled with huge guys on the back end. Taking away time and space is more important than being able to do the flashy BS. I wouldn't call Schneider 'unskilled" either, he isn't some stiff meat shield ala Mattias Samuelsson, he's a Defense first guy who can move pucks up ice and has an underrated offensive tool kit, those guys end up being a huge part of a winner. Much better suited to deal with the rigors of the NHL (and especially the post season) than someone like Nils is.

I like Nils, but hes an undersized 2nd pair PP defenseman at best in this league. He is not Adam Fox

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Have you watched the playoffs?

Those teams have been filled with huge guys on the back end. Taking away time and space is more important than being able to do the flashy BS. I wouldn't call Schneider 'unskilled" either, he isn't some stiff meat shield ala Mattias Samuelsson, he's a Defense first guy who can move pucks up ice and has an underrated offensive tool kit, those guys end up being a huge part of a winner. Much better suited to deal with the rigors of the NHL (and especially the post season) than someone like Nils is.

I like Nils, but hes an undersized 2nd pair PP defenseman at best in this league. He is not Adam Fox

If you're going to cap off Lundkvist's potential at a 2nd pair dman at best, i don't see how you could have Schneider as more than 6-7 D considering what the two of them have shown to date.

Unless of course, you're just looking at the fact that Schneider is bigger and Canadian.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ohhhh.....now you've gone and done it. Enter AK in 4.....3....2....

Won't disagree with the "He's no Fox" bit. Fox is better. Fox is also 2 years older so we will see.

Fox-Lundkvist on the right could very well be the Rangers equivalent of the Preds left side with Josi-Ekholm. 2 Great players who give you the depth to put together 2 strong pairings.

Lundkvist might be 5'11" but he certainly doesn't play like he is. He doesn't shy away and he's probably more physically willing to fight for pucks than Fox. But their skillsets is what makes them interesting. Just pair them with a stronger guy on the left.

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Lundkvist

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Won't disagree with the "He's no Fox" bit. Fox is better. Fox is also 2 years older so we will see.

Fox-Lundkvist on the right could very well be the Rangers equivalent of the Preds left side with Josi-Ekholm. 2 Great players who give you the depth to put together 2 strong pairings.

Lundkvist might be 5'11" but he certainly doesn't play like he is. He doesn't shy away and he's probably more physically willing to fight for pucks than Fox. But their skillsets is what makes them interesting. Just pair them with a stronger guy on the left.

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Lundkvist
I agree with you, AK. But I stand by my belief (and just mine) that I do not see Gorton and JD building a team with two undersized puck movers on the same side of the ice.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I believe the Rangers chose Schneider because they believe he has the skill to go with the size. I don't believe they were strictly looking for size with that pick at all ie. if by some act of god, Drysdale made it to their 2nd pick with all else being the same, Gorton would have broken his finger hitting the unmute button on zoom to announce his name.

I believe they chose him and traded up two spots to choose him because he was the BPA left on their board by a lot. I'll say it again BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. Ya know what people on this forum are clamoring for the Rangers to choose. He was in the top 10 on their board I believe. Scouting services had him averaged around 12. They got him at 19 and had pretty good reservations about the centers that were left by that moment.

You choose a center there with reservations because you lack prospect center depth and those reservations end up being founded, then what was accomplished? Congrats, you really didn't help you center depth at all and on top of that, wasted a 1st round draft pick and future asset. They have been guilty of doing that before, seemed to have learned from it (ok maybe not with Lindbom...), and now have grade A prospects like Miller, Lundvist and Schneider to show for their wisdom.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If you're going to cap off Lundkvist's potential at a 2nd pair dman at best, i don't see how you could have Schneider as more than 6-7 D considering what the two of them have shown to date.

Unless of course, you're just looking at the fact that Schneider is bigger and Canadian.

The bigger thing does matter though. No one wants to admit it, but when these games become tighter and players can get away with almost anything short of murder, it becomes an issue.

If Nils was an offensive demon who just drove the f*** out of offense ala a Prime Karlsson or a two way savant like Fox? My tune would be much different. He isn't. He's a very good prospect and projects to be a good player, but I have a ton of reservations about his game at the NHL level. He doesn't have the escapability/processor of someone like Fox, that usually equates to getting eaten alive in the corners and it won't be a lack of effort thing or being "soft", it's just a limitation.

I think they both top out as 2nd pair guys. I'll hitch my wagon to the one who does a better job taking away space. Those guys almost always do better when the chips are down.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I think they both top out as 2nd pair guys. I'll hitch my wagon to the one who does a better job taking away space. Those guys almost always do better when the chips are down.

Of course all things else being equal, size is the tie-breaker but things have to be equal first. Neither has shown themselves viable at NHL level so it will be a wait and see. Schneider can have all the size in the world but if his processor doesn't translate, it won't matter. Lundkvist the same for his strengths. Also nobody thought Fox was going to be what he was when we traded for him. Many worried, even with his seemingly worldly IQ (some did try to say add the 'for college' caveat), he was two slow for the NHL speed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I actually really really like both Lundkvist and Schneider. It's already more than apparent that Schneider had no problem playing at the AHL level in his draft year. That's pretty good. Really could he be any worse than Johnson right now. I don't think so. He might already be better than a couple others as well. Braden is going to be an NHL'er and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got some games for us as soon as next season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I actually really really like both Lundkvist and Schneider. It's already more than apparent that Schneider had no problem playing at the AHL level in his draft year. That's pretty good. Really could he be any worse than Johnson right now. I don't think so. He might already be better than a couple others as well. Braden is going to be an NHL'er and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got some games for us as soon as next season.

He was solid in the 2 games he played, yes. I'd like to see a bit more of him before I would say he's had no problem playing in the AHL. I remember Ronning surprising everyone on his ATO in his D+1 but a small sample size can cloud the performance.

Let's hope Schneider and Lundkvist push management to the point where they have to make a decision

Reactions: JCProdigy and Cag29

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He was solid in the 2 games he played, yes. I'd like to see a bit more of him before I would say he's had no problem playing in the AHL. I remember Ronning surprising everyone on his ATO in his D+1 but a small sample size can cloud the performance.

Let's hope Schneider and Lundkvist push management to the point where they have to make a decision

These two are in the mix for our future RD and while there may be internal competition of some sort between them just because someone likes one doesn't mean they have to dump on the other.....and I think I've gotten a bit of that vibe from fans of both--that if they like the one then they can't like the other or that one will have to be moved to make room for the other. Maybe somewhere down the road something like that happens....still they certainly are though two different kinds of defenseman but both are very good IMO in different ways and I look forward to both playing for the Rangers in the near future.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
These two are in the mix for our future RD and while there may be internal competition of some sort between them just because someone likes one doesn't mean they have to dump on the other.....and I think I've gotten a bit of that vibe from fans of both--that if they like the one then they can't like the other or that one will have to be moved to make room for the other. Maybe somewhere down the road something like that happens....still they certainly are though two different kinds of defenseman but both are very good IMO in different ways and I look forward to both playing for the Rangers in the near future.

Yep. Our RD depth being Fox, Lundkvist, Schneider after 2024 is exciting

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I believe the Rangers chose Schneider because they believe he has the skill to go with the size. I don't believe they were strictly looking for size with that pick at all ie. if by some act of god, Drysdale made it to their 2nd pick with all else being the same, Gorton would have broken his finger hitting the unmute button on zoom to announce his name.

I believe they chose him and traded up two spots to choose him because he was the BPA left on their board by a lot. I'll say it again BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. Ya know what people on this forum are clamoring for the Rangers to choose. He was in the top 10 on their board I believe. Scouting services had him averaged around 12. They got him at 19 and had pretty good reservations about the centers that were left by that moment.

You choose a center there with reservations because you lack prospect center depth and those reservations end up being founded, then what was accomplished? Congrats, you really didn't help you center depth at all and on top up that, wasted a 1st round draft pick and future asset. They have been guilty of doing that before, seemed to have learned from it (ok maybe not with Lindbom...), and now have grade A prospects like Miller, Lundvist and Schneider to show for their wisdom.
Great post!

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You cant have 3 right dmen in your system

the Rangers drafted Schneider because he was by far the bpa on their board and they love the total package.

Without him lundkvist is your only right d nhl prospect.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
TDA was always going to be on the chopping block. Even without him, we still have 4 major RHDs in the system. Fox, Trouba, Lundkvist, and Schneider. It’s why trading up and drafting Schneider made so little sense. Maybe the plan is to use one of them as a piece for a 1C or a 1LHD or something, but even ignoring TDA there’s still a logjam at RD.

Fox, TDA, Trouba, Nils, Schneider (only Fox is playing)

Harvey, Syndergaraad, DeGrom, Matz (only DeGrom is here)

Wilson, Pulse, Izzy (yikes)

Some might be baseball names yet i think we’ve all recognized a surplus of names is only a surplus of players if they are on the field.

Let’s hope our Rangers have a talent log jam in the future b/c as of today only one is playing for the Rangers.

Reactions: Kovalev27

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
DeAngelo was not going to be here beyond this contract. Many people were shocked Schneider fell the way he did and the Rangers made a great pick. You do not draft for "need". Whether they moved up or stayed put, there was nobody they could take that was going to make the team this year. You take BPA and down the road make moves if necessary. Trouba, Lundkvist, or Fox could have a career ending injury by the time Schneider is ready or there game could go downhill. You never know, but it is a good "problem" to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->