Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Adam Fox was better than Del Zotto ever was the second he stepped onto the ice. He's only gotten better since and is every bit a #1 D in this league already.

The Runblad-Nils comp is bad for a bunch of reasons (Nils will play and stick int his league, I just don't think it will be here), but theres a big difference between comparing guys who were both successful over seas to a guy who has done nothing but killed it since he stepped into the NHL and a guy who had a nice PP driven start and has become a journeyman.

IMO he slows things down too much. It’s good in all other situations, but you kind of want the PP to be quick moving controlled chaos. Being slow gives the PKers time to react and adjust. He’s otherworldly at keeping the puck in the zone and walking the line, which is a good PP skill but ideally he’s complimenting someone who can rip it as well

That would be Zibanejad when he isn't Zibanebad.

But the PP ran much smoother when DeAngelo was here for sure. Fox will never run a PP as well as TDA did.

Reactions: romba

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Adam Fox was better than Del Zotto ever was the second he stepped onto the ice. He's only gotten better since and is every bit a #1 D in this league already.

The Runblad-Nils comp is bad for a bunch of reasons (Nils will play and stick int his league, I just don't think it will be here), but theres a big difference between comparing guys who were both successful over seas to a guy who has done nothing but killed it since he stepped into the NHL and a guy who had a nice PP driven start and has become a journeyman.

That would be Zibanejad when he isn't Zibanebad.

But the PP ran much smoother when DeAngelo was here for sure. Fox will never run a PP as well as TDA did.

I wouldn’t say never. Fox has the brain and the toolbox to do everything. Deangelo was really good up there and Fox probably doesn’t get to that level, but I’ll never say never with respect to this kid about anything.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I forget sometimes that he's younger than Miller. Really excited to see how he transitions to the NHL game.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Perhaps I'm looking through rose-coloured glasses, thanks to Fox and Miller, but I'm expecting him to be a good bottom4 NHL D immediately.

If he's not, that's okay; he can pick apart the AHL with Reunanen for a month or two.

Assuming Tarmo doesn't win a spot next season!

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
IMO he slows things down too much. It’s good in all other situations, but you kind of want the PP to be quick moving controlled chaos. Being slow gives the PKers time to react and adjust. He’s otherworldly at keeping the puck in the zone and walking the line, which is a good PP skill but ideally he’s complimenting someone who can rip it as well
A much better comparable for Fox is Larry Murphy. He had the amazing ability to slow everything sown to his pace and th just let the other Wings explode.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Perhaps I'm looking through rose-coloured glasses, thanks to Fox and Miller, but I'm expecting him to be a good bottom4 NHL D immediately.

If he's not, that's okay; he can pick apart the AHL with Reunanen for a month or two.

Assuming Tarmo doesn't win a spot next season!
I think that Lundkvist will immediately face a challenge from Schneider for the starting spot in camp.

Same for Reuanen. He will face off with Robertson & Hajek.

Would not be surprised if Bitetto is also in camp next year.

Last edited:

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I think that Lundkvist will immediately face a challenge from Schneider for the starting spot in camp.

I think currently Lundkvist has a pretty strong edge over Schneider to make the team out of camp this year. Lundkvist is one of the most ready prospects not playing in the NHL right now. Which is no knock to Schneider. Lundkvist is just ahead of him in the development curve right now. Which makes sense. He is 2 years older.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think currently Lundkvist has a pretty strong edge over Schneider to make the team out of camp this year. Lundkvist is one of the most ready prospects not playing in the NHL right now. Which is no knock to Schneider. Lundkvist is just ahead of him in the development curve right now. Which makes sense. He is 2 years older.
Maybe. What makes me think so is that in his brief sting in Hartford, Schneider looked not at all out of place. In fact, he was having a positive effect on the games. So Lundkivst may have an advantage but it is probably not as big as one would think. We shall find out in camp next year. His game is fairly close to being NHL ready. Of course it needs further development and refinement, but his skill set looks to be ready for a look see.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Lundkvist and Schneider will certainly be an interesting one. Gotta think Nils has a healthy edge right now, but by extension, Braden should have more room to grow over the summer.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lundkvist and Schneider will certainly be an interesting one. Gotta think Nils has a healthy edge right now, but by extension, Braden should have more room to grow over the summer.
As I responded above, not sure that Lundkvist's advantage is a big as we may think. Schneider was having a positive effect on games in Hartford. His overall game may be much closer to being NHL ready than people may think.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I really like the idea of having Robertson-Schneider as our top pair in the AHL next year. They have shown great chemistry together in the past, and having them learn the pro game together could be the best thing for both.

If Lundkvist is as reliable at the NHL level as we all hope, then a guy like Reunanen may be a good fit for him. Though, I think he would benefit more from a stronger physical presence; re-signing Smitty perhaps.

I look at Trouba, Fox, and Lundkvist, and feel that they could all use a similar guy on their left side. Could we just clone Lindgren, and be done with it?

Reactions: Chytilmania

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Maybe. What makes me think so is that in his brief sting in Hartford, Schneider looked not at all out of place. In fact, he was having a positive effect on the games. So Lundkivst may have an advantage but it is probably not as big as one would think. We shall find out in camp next year. His game is fairly close to being NHL ready. Of course it needs further development and refinement, but his skill set looks to be ready for a look see.

That's fair. Having healthy competition is good, but I would be shocked if he beats out Lundkvist for a spot. Schneider might have fit well in the AHL, but Lundkvist is literally dominating in the SHL. And there is nothing wrong with being patient with a teenager like Schneider. I think the rangers see what happens when you rust 18 and 19 year olds into the NHL. Maybe Schneider looks like he's right on the line of being an NHL player next year, but another year of development in juniors wouldn't do any harm.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
As I responded above, not sure that Lundkvist's advantage is a big as we may think. Schneider was having a positive effect on games in Hartford. His overall game may be much closer to being NHL ready than people may think.
Interesting, he wasn’t impressive to my eye at WJC, great to hear he was effective in the A

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That's fair. Having healthy competition is good, but I would be shocked if he beats out Lundkvist for a spot. Schneider might have fit well in the AHL, but Lundkvist is literally dominating in the SHL. And there is nothing wrong with being patient with a teenager like Schneider. I think the rangers see what happens when you rust 18 and 19 year olds into the NHL. Maybe Schneider looks like he's right on the line of being an NHL player next year, but another year of development in juniors wouldn't do any harm.
Schneider cannot go to juniors next year. And honestly, just from what was seen in Hartford, there is no need even if he could.

Dominating in Sweden is not the same thing as the NHL. Which is not at all to take away from what Nils has been doing. The way Schneider plays the defensive game might be able to level the playing field. Would he be the underdog to bettors? Probably. But winning out a spot would not shock me. Shock is probably not the right word, at least for me. Not based on what I have seen.

As I sit here today, I believe that one of the two will start the year on the third pair next year. Like I said, the most fascinating battle in camp next year. Can make it a plural if we want to talk about the third pair as a whole.

Of course, that is also ass-u-ming that Lundkvist is not included in a bigger deal.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Schneider cannot go to juniors next year. And honestly, just from what was seen in Hartford, there is no need even if he could.

Dominating in Sweden is not the same thing as the NHL. Which is not at all to take away from what Nils has been doing. The way Schneider plays the defensive game might be able to level the playing field. Would he be the underdog to bettors? Probably. But winning out a spot would not shock me. Shock is probably not the right word, at least for me. Not based on what I have seen.

As I sit here today, I believe that one of the two will start the year on the third pair next year. Like I said, the most fascinating battle in camp next year. Can make it a plural if we want to talk about the third pair as a whole.

Of course, that is also ass-u-ming that Lundkvist is not included in a bigger deal.
These are great problems to have. I think it will come down to what management wants in that #3RHD spot. Schneider and Lundkvist play different games although both defensively responsible. Do you want that physical aspect for the PK and in general or do you want the puck mover? Also, it may come down to who the winner will be partnered with. If the #3 LHD is Hajek, management may want the physical presence back there. If it is Brendan Smith or someone like him, they may want the versatility and puck moving skills that Lundkvist brings. All very interesting. This all assumes that Miller isn't #3 LHD which would change the entire calculation because he is big and can skate and move the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad