Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Here are some simple stats for you.

Ehlers has 8 less 5v5 points than Wheeler over the last 3 years, playing 400+ less minutes.

Ehlers is second on the team in 5v5 goals over the last 3 years, ahead of Scheifele and Wheeler, only behind Laine.

Second on the team in 5v5 shots over the last 3 years as well, ahead of Scheif and Laine, second to Wheeler.

Ehlers shot around 10.5% 5v5 the last 3 years in the regular season. If he shot his 10.5% he'd have ~4 goals 5v5 in the playoffs.

Fyi - Connor has 4 5v5 goals in the playoffs. Laine has 3. Wheeler has 1. Little has 1. Lowry has 1. Copp has 1.

And we'll just ignore all those complicated formulas that show that Ehlers makes his linemates better.

If you think he's going to continue shooting 0% all the power to ya guys :laugh:.

I really like to see stats that take into consideration the past three years because it is a better indication of the talent of many players. Last year was an aberration (abomination?) imo with a lot of misuse of players. The stats are absolutely elite for Ehlers and Laine, but everyone wants to focus on our dysfunctional past year.

You would have a hard time convincing me that after three/four years in the nhl, that esl wouldn’t be the best jets 2.0 line ever and one of the best in the league.

Never trade these guys and give them the reins this year and I guarantee you will see magic.

Btw KC and Roslovic looked like Magic together in the ahl and briefly on the jets as well.

We keep having flashes of brilliance, then we tear it down.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers on pp2 is the reason pp1 never gains the zone.

Connor on pp1 is the reason no one can score on pp2
i was banging this drum throughout the year. pp2 needs a dedicated shooter. I think KC could be that guy, i don't think his role on PP1 is anything a skilled top 6 player (like Ehlers, or even when we had Hayes) can't do

Reactions: Neuf

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
i was banging this drum throughout the year. pp2 needs a dedicated shooter. I think KC could be that guy, i don't think his role on PP1 is anything a skilled top 6 player (like Ehlers, or even when we had Hayes) can't do
I think Connor is better in close at the goalie. Better hands or/and better instinct for scoring. That is why Maurice is using Connor, I think.
I think pp1 is the best possible at the moment. I just wish for Ehlers to get more 5v5 minutes, and more on the top line

Reactions: sipowicz and hn777

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think Connor is better in close at the goalie. Better hands or/and better instinct for scoring. That is why Maurice is using Connor, I think.
I think pp1 is the best possible at the moment. I just wish for Ehlers to get more 5v5 minutes, and more on the top line
Second half of the season PP1 spend way too much time dumping and losing possession. That PP needs Ehlers badly imo.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I'd trade Connor before Ehlers.

I'd trade Paul Maurice before either of them :laugh:
While I think that Connor would likely bring back a better haul I just don't see the point in keeping Ehlers if you are going to utilize him as he has been so far. A solid 2C or Trouba replacement will get the team further than Ehlers playing sporadically up and down the lineup imo.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
There is a new article every day about Ehlers being moved... I wonder how much is speculation vs actual smoke? A whole lot of rumors for it to be completely untrue but I also don't see the Jets organization being the ones that spread it. Exciting offseason incoming regardless!
NHL trade rumors: 5 teams who should trade for Nikolaj Ehlers
i think there's conversations being had. Chevy should know what he can acquire for Dmen for him. They'll be moving on from a top pairing RD this off-season, if that trade doesn't return an adept top 4D then they need to look at other avenues to bring one in

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Second half of the season PP1 spend way too much time dumping and losing possession. That PP needs Ehlers badly imo.

So what made them better in the first half?
Better question - what happened to pretty much every player on the team in the second half -
I'll answer that for you - they gave up and played like garbage.

PP1 was at the top of the league at one point - the parts were there.
The issues on PP1 related to Scheif not scoring, Laine not scoring, and a lousy D set with Buff out.

Ehlers wouldn't have saved that mess -

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't really have any issues with the pp1. I think Connor's shot is slightly wasted behind the net and that role could be filled by Frenchy, Lowry, Copp etc. but I don't think it's a huge deal considering pp2 hardly sees the ice anyways...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is a new article every day about Ehlers being moved... I wonder how much is speculation vs actual smoke? A whole lot of rumors for it to be completely untrue but I also don't see the Jets organization being the ones that spread it. Exciting offseason incoming regardless!
NHL trade rumors: 5 teams who should trade for Nikolaj Ehlers
I think this is all based on a single comment from LeBrun that the Jets were "listening" to offers for Ehlers. The rest is an echo chamber of fevered speculation.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
So often it seems these conversations start with somebody reporting a team is listening to offers and quickly becomes that team shopping the player. Listening to offers means that if a team wants to pay a high price the jets would be willing to consider it and if not they will be happy to keep him, but everyone in the media is acting like the jets are definitely going to trade him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So often it seems these conversations start with somebody reporting a team is listening to offers and quickly becomes that team shopping the player. Listening to offers means that if a team wants to pay a high price the jets would be willing to consider it and if not they will be happy to keep him, but everyone in the media is acting like the jets are definitely going to trade him.
In this day and age media are assessed by how much interest they stir up measured by clicks etc, not by accuracy, insight or interest. If they aren't peddling rumours they aren't doing their job. It's entertainment more than news.

Reactions: Duke749

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
In this day and age media are assessed by how much interest they stir up measured by clicks etc, not by accuracy, insight or interest. If they aren't peddling rumours they aren't doing their job. It's entertainment more than news.

Exactly... and think of all the money this forum is pulling in by having all those garbage ads at the bottom the the screen.. just having people talking about rumors.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Here are some simple stats for you.

Ehlers has 8 less 5v5 points than Wheeler over the last 3 years, playing 400+ less minutes.

Ehlers is second on the team in 5v5 goals over the last 3 years, ahead of Scheifele and Wheeler, only behind Laine.

Second on the team in 5v5 shots over the last 3 years as well, ahead of Scheif and Laine, second to Wheeler.

Ehlers shot around 10.5% 5v5 the last 3 years in the regular season. If he shot his 10.5% he'd have ~4 goals 5v5 in the playoffs.

Fyi - Connor has 4 5v5 goals in the playoffs. Laine has 3. Wheeler has 1. Little has 1. Lowry has 1. Copp has 1.

And we'll just ignore all those complicated formulas that show that Ehlers makes his linemates better.

If you think he's going to continue shooting 0% all the power to ya guys :laugh:.
I don’t know why you’re arguing with me I know ehlers is good and don’t want the jets to trade him.....

What I stated as nothing to do with ehlers production.

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Why are we talking about trading Ehlers? The kid had a off year last year mainly due to the 20 games he missed due to injury. His 5v5 statistics are still better than most on this team, man we give up on our guys fairly easy. This guy is extremely fast and for a team that had horrible entries last year he is our best zone entry player due to his speed. Maurice doesn't utilize him very well like he doesn't utilize most of our young talent well, I can guarantee if we traded him to a team that has a better coach and a well rounded supporting cast he will flourish even more than he has here and we will all be pissed Chevy made that trade. FREE EHLERS!

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Why are we talking about trading Ehlers? The kid had a off year last year mainly due to the 20 games he missed due to injury. His 5v5 statistics are still better than most on this team, man we give up on our guys fairly easy. This guy is extremely fast and for a team that had horrible entries last year he is our best zone entry player due to his speed. Maurice doesn't utilize him very well like he doesn't utilize most of our young talent well, I can guarantee if we traded him to a team that has a better coach and a well rounded supporting cast he will flourish even more than he has here and we will all be pissed Chevy made that trade. FREE EHLERS!

I think it started from a combo of needing to fill the hole Trouba leaves and the reports that teams are calling Chevy to ask about him.
I think it's reasonable to think he gets shipped out over Connor considering usage but I have a feeling the organization will regret trading either of those players in the long run. They should be letting PoMo go and not their young studs.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I think it started from a combo of needing to fill the hole Trouba leaves and the reports that teams are calling Chevy to ask about him.
I think it's reasonable to think he gets shipped out over Connor considering usage but I have a feeling the organization will regret trading either of those players in the long run. They should be letting PoMo go and not their young studs.

Except PoMo brings you back nothing in return, just a gain by subtraction, sincerely doubt Mo ever gets an NHL Head coaching job after failing with some talented Jets teams, why is he still here remains a mystery!

Wouldn’t surprise me if Mo hasn’t gone behind Chevys back and has Chippers ear acting as his safety net!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad